Photo

Olive Mediterranean Restaurant

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this restaurant?

1. Excellent (3 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Good (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Olive Mediterranean Restaurant
179, High St, London, SE20 7PF
Phone: 020 8778 6823

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#2 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

Previous reviews from other threads, with some minor edits to remove non review elements:

Open front and was very busy last night. Looked nice and the menu was interesting. Makes a change from all the fast food places and following so soon after the Bridge House pub revamp makes you wonder whether Penge is finally realising not everyone who lives there wants take away pizza, Chinese and fried chicken. They don't have a license but allow you to bring your own booze. I'll defo be trying it.

We tried it a couple of Sundays ago, just after it opened, and were impressed. Nice food, enthusiastic young owners keen to make a go of it. And no intention of applying for a licence, they said - so bring your own makes it an inexpensive meal.
Our only quibble was that when we were there the music was middle of the road pop (Magic FM?). Some nice Turkish music would have been more appropriate - but maybe that's what you get in the evening.

Went last night. Food was pretty good, definitely authentic as in it was served in very much the style I've had in Cyprus, Turkey and Greece rather than a majorly Anglicised way. They had Turkish music playing and we got charged 'corkage' for our 3 bottles of MasterBrew, a pound a bottle, which is a bit cheeky. Still, top addition for Penge.

We went to Olives and enjoyed it very much. They have a giant open grill which has the plus of cooking up the food very fresh, right there, but with the minus in that it is a bit noisy - the exhaust from the grill makes a bit of background roar. My mixed grill was succulent and scrumptious. Music was fine. Service was very very friendly - made you feel like you really were in Turkey. A good local addition.

I think on our wine we paid per head (1.50) on the corkage, not per bottle. Does seem a bit odd.

BTW for the time being the PFC (Penge Food Centre, a few doors down from Olives) seems not to have any wine, though they say it is coming back soon. Best to get it in Sainsbury's I'd guess.

They now have an alcohol licence (a nice surprise when I'd been preparing for a sober evening) and the food is delicious with quite big portions - I liked the olives and pitta bread on the side as there's few places you get anything for free. There was no annoying pop music thankfully but Turkish style music which suited the atmosphere. Everyone is really friendly and couldn't do enough for us, even giving us tips on the best places to go on holiday in Turkey! I have to admit that it's so nice in there that I forgot I was in Penge so it's nice to know there's one decent place there amid the pound shops. I'll definitely be going again.

We went there recently and had a great meal - excellent value. Our experience of the licence was the opposite though. We turned up with our own wine, expecting to pay corkage as before, but were then told they had a licence. We weren't the only ones: nearly everyone else there had brought their own booze, leading to disappointment all round! That apart, I endorse everything said by Kimiko above.

Just to say - it's good. Great people. Very friendly. Food is Turkish and very good. Excellent range of food. They do takeaways too. It's on the high street, just at the Pawleyne Arms junction, just lower down from the Police Station.

Anyone else been there?!

We go there occasionally and its a hit for me its a lovely taverna by the sea...pop in for a late lunch and then straight back to the beach...hang on this is penge high street!
And this is probably the best thing in it!

Nick, Forum Moderator

#3 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

Popped in there for lunch recently. They gave us free hummous and bread before the (large) meal so it was all pretty filling as well as tasty. Turkish music was playing and the sun was shining outside, giving it a holiday feel. Evidently they have a licence now as they are definitely selling alcohol. The only downside was that the house wine wasn't very good - I'd definitely go back another time but I'd stick to the Efes.

Edited by elleme, 31 May 2009 - 12:07 PM.

#4 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:15 PM

We've been a couple of times and like it a lot! The things off the hot grill are great. We went before & after it was BYOB and got surprised the second time. Fair enough, they figured out that that is where the profit is and they need to survive. We are used to Turkish wine (the reliable Buzbag) - no surprises there. But I thought corkage was a fee you paid if you bring in a bottle when they already have it for sale - thus you are compensating them somewhat for their lost sale. They should not have charged corkage if they were not selling alcohol (though they could charge corkage if you brought your own Coke!).

Its worth going - nice people, good (straightforward) grilled Med food, and they seem to stay open late (which is good for us night owls).

Went past on a Saturday night and the place was packed and there was dancing! Couldn't see if it was belly dancing or what, but it looked a hoppin' joint!

#5 Liliput

Liliput

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

Just had a wonderful lazy Sunday family lunch there. Very friendly and the food was fantastic, a thumbs up from Sydenham Hill towers.

#6 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:49 PM

Anybody been recently, and if so any views? we were thinking about trying the place soon.

#7 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:53 AM

good question...I shall go this evening...

#8 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

We've not been for a while, but I love this place! The food is great, the owners are friendly, and I love the Turkish music in the evenings! It's the closest I can get to Albanian food this side of the Thames too! :) Now if someone would just open an Albanian restaurant somewhere round here, I'd be over the moon!

#9 Cllr John Getgood

Cllr John Getgood

John Getgood

• Sponsors
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

Always looking for a chance to boost Penge High Street, I agree this is really worth a visit. I have always enjoyed my meals there. For Penge people, it's another case of use it or lose it.

Cllr John Getgood
Penge & Cator
www.pengeandcatorcouncillors.co.uk

Edited by Cllr John Getgood, 28 October 2009 - 09:41 AM.

#10 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:24 PM

its not my favourite kind of food, but last time i was here i had the most delicious lamb dish can't remember the name but it was very generous tender strips in sauce. wine isn't great but can live with that. staff are lovely.

#11 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

its not my favourite kind of food, but last time i was here i had the most delicious lamb dish can't remember the name but it was very generous tender strips in sauce. wine isn't great but can live with that. staff are lovely.

Thank you :)

#12 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Last night a visit to Olive...and it is still an absolute jewel... I too had a lamb dish which I tried hard to remember the name of but it was most wonderful and the other half had something rolled in a tortilla I think which was equally good. The only things that did not meet expectations were the greek salad which did not have feta on it but something else and the lighting which must look great from the outside but reading the menu under changing coloured light was a bit offputting! Over all I left the place with a ringing endorsement to all...

#13 Canuckmama

Canuckmama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

Since we moved closer to Penge, we go there regularly. Their mezze platters are to die for. They are great with kids, very friendly, and considering the portion size VERY reasonably priced! I have been recommending the place to a lot of people.

#14 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

We had a lovely meal there on Saturday night - very reasonably priced too. We were surprised at how quiet it was (too many firework parties keeping customers away?), and resolved to go more often, as it's a while since we went there. As John Getgood says above, it's up to us to use these amenities if we want them to survive.

#15 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:37 PM

does this place have a website? wanted to check out the menu. I went to Kemer(?) in Elmers End recently and i've concluded I'm not a big fan of turkish/greek food - so should I risk going down there? what sorts of things do they have?