• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

My mum is convinced that there was a cafe in Westow Street (Upper Norwood) in the mid-1960s, called 'Cators', but a friend of hers remembers it as 'Katies'. I wonder if anyone here can settle the argument? As you come up Gipsy Hill and go over the traffic lights into Westow Street itself, it was just along on the right.

#2 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

Don't remember Katies or Cators, only one I can recall in same location in the 60s was called "Chez Fleur", although nothing remotely French about it in any way!

#3 Mrs Oswald

Mrs Oswald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:11 AM

Don't remember Katies or Cators, only one I can recall in same location in the 60s was called "Chez Fleur", although nothing remotely French about it in any way!

There used to be a Polish baker's and cake shop called Olga's Patisserie in the shop which became Jack's Delicatessen and subsequently Rolfe and Jones. I don't remember a cafe along there.

#4 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

Hi Made in SE19
There was indeed a cafe in Westow Street and it must have been from the middle/late 50's onwards, going up the road from Gypsy Hill
on the right hand side just before the turning with all the little houses that went back down a very steep hill in the direction of a
Park. It was next door to "W.Cullen's" the Undertakers and it was owned by Mr. & Mrs.Collett and as far as I am informed it was
called Collett's. A small place with one row of tables on the left and one on the right leading up to a counter at the back of the shop.
( I remember eating there one time with my father ). Probaby the same place that Trixie mentioned at a later date.

I hope that this does not increase your confusion further.

Edited by Anthony, 18 May 2009 - 12:25 PM.

#5 ISACC

ISACC

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:52 AM

No. 40 was called "Chez Fleur" in the 50"s- 60's. It was run by a small English family, I think they had just one daughter. They lived above the shop. The back room was a private dinning area where the local bank manager lunched. The shop was then taken over by an Italian/Polish family- Olga's. They later moved abroad and the shop under the same name continued as a bakers which was run by another polish chap. His assistant a Polish lady worked for both owners. It then became Jacks.

I have heard that the builder who built Hayes Lane, also built the row of shops and that three of them were interconnected.