Photo

Los Toreros

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (60 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (18 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Good (22 votes [36.67%])

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

3. Average (11 votes [18.33%])

Percentage of vote: 18.33%

4. Poor (9 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

Vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 01:52 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Los Toreros
35 Westow Street, Crystal Palace, London SE19 3RW
Open Monday to Sunday 12pm-3pm, 6pm-Late

Web: www.lostoreros.co.uk
Email: reservations@lostoreros.co.uk
Phone: 0871 811 1461

European.vote - EU Referendum

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:03 PM

To be honest I've only eaten in here once, but I've been for cocktails a few times!

The staff in here seem really friendly and the decor keeps the place inviting and interesting.

I didn't think that much of the tapas - it was very salty and nothing to write home about.

The cocktails fared much better although my last Singapore Sling there was a bit on the weak side :( .

The times I've been it's been pretty quiet - hardly anyone in the restaurant area, although don't know whether that's usual. I'll certainly go back though as I think the place has a lot of potential.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 buffalox

buffalox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:35 PM

I only just managed to avoid giving them a "poor" and a Posted Image smilie by Gekko's comment - I would agree that the place has potential. Otherwise - mediocre service and mediocre food. My Mexican friend often tells me not to go to Mexican restaurants as it isn't 'true' Mexican food. I guess the same applies to Tapas bars - or at least this one... Having said that, I haven't been here when it's packed so maybe it would gain points then. It's just when I went (soon after moving here, and subsequent to a visit to A Torre), it was empty and the food + service was lousy!

Edited by buffalox, 31 May 2005 - 06:37 PM.

#4 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:29 AM

Well, I booked a party of 30 in here last night for a friend's 40th birthday bash, and they couldn't have been more helpful. The food arrived promptly and was good (not an easy feat for that many people at once), and every request, including fitting six more people in than I'd booked for, was met with a smile and a joke.

They even provided some candles for the birthday cake as I'd failed miserably to find any!

#5 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:11 PM

Los Toreros presented a cheque for £200 in aid of St Christopher's Hospice at tonight's Crystal Palace Rotary Club Christmas Dinner. The money was raised on a charity cabaret night they held a few weeks ago at Los Toreros.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#6 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:11 AM

weldone to everyone at Los Toreros... and happy christmas

Edited by James, 20 December 2005 - 10:59 AM.

For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#7 katb

katb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:56 PM

Been here three times this year, and can't fault them - good food, atmosphere and service. My favourite place to eat in the Triangle.

#8 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:14 PM

Went there last night for the first time in ages and wasn't overly impressed. The service wasn't amazing and the food came far to quickly for my liking - felt a little rushed. However, good portion sizes - we couldn't finish all our tapas and in that sense it was good value for money. Won't rush back though - will be going to A Torre next time.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#9 HillBilly

HillBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:57 PM

Thinking of going tomorrow for the Salsa....has anyone else been to this?

#10 eyedropper

eyedropper

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:15 PM

... and the food came far to quickly for my liking

hahah - this must be the only complant of any restuarant that things came too quickly!
www.eyedropper.co.uk

#11 Angeles

Angeles

• Sponsors
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

I have only been once to this restaurant and I really liked the venue and the friendly atmotsphere. I had a great time chatting with the staff. I only tried the paella, which was quite big and it was good, although nothing to shut about. I think I will come back and specially I'm looking forward to try the salsa evenings. :)

#12 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

I have been going to Los Toreros (tend to stay in the bar area) on and off for a few years, and I have to say they need to make more of an effort to keep the place going - they haven't changed the menu (apart from the odd special) or decor for years and it all looks/tastes a bit tired. What is more - the food always tastes exactly the same, which brings to mind a large volume made to the exact same recipe without any variety.

The place has great potential, and CP needs a really good tapas bar - Los Toreros just needs to make more of an effort and re-invent itself to bring back a decent number of punters, rather than the trickle that come through the doors presently (when I was last there, we were the only people in the place - three groups of people wandered in, looked around for a while and then wondered out again as there was no sign of life and no member of staff coming forward to welcome them and draw them in. They can't afford to lose custom like this!).

I do hope they manage to turn their fortunes around as I am fond of the old place.

#13 OG_Mudboom

OG_Mudboom

• Pending Removal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

...when I was last there, we were the only people in the place - three groups of people wandered in, looked around for a while and then wondered out again as there was no sign of life and no member of staff coming forward to welcome them and draw them in...

I could have been one of them. Have never eaten (or drunk) in there as it seems so lacking in atmosphere when I've walked in and sharply out (twice), and the waiting staff don't seem to care!
Have never had good spanish food in London, anywhere. Even at a relatively expensive one near St Johns Wood, the paella i had there was shocking!

Would like to see CP be the first to have a truly great tapas (lady food) bar, but can they also put something more substantial on the menu (if they don't already), for those of us who like some stodge!
Either they don't know, don't show...or just don't care what's going on in Norwood.

#14 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:53 AM

Only been in here once, a year or so ago. At first i was hugely impressed, colourful bar then on through to the restaurant at the back. Entering, it seemed amazing i was in CP and so close to home and yet had not ventured here before. A vast space with so much light...a real revelation.
Sadly, my enthusiasm dwindled as i started to notice the details and the feeling of having entered a place which didn't expect to see customers. And then the food came and i never ever considered going there again.
A great great shame as it really could be very impressive. Perhaps Meditarrenea could take over and then there'd be something pretty special, as they have seemingly got the food vote in CP, but maybe not the most enticing premises.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#15 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:31 AM

Went there for Sunday lunch and we had the beef sunday roast - it was ok - nothing to get mad for but good in quality
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!