Photo

Los Toreros

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (60 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (18 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Good (22 votes [36.67%])

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

3. Average (11 votes [18.33%])

Percentage of vote: 18.33%

4. Poor (9 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

Vote

#31 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

We had Sunday lunch there yesterday. We were the only people there, but it was perfectly pleasant nonetheless.

We shared tapas - chorizo, calamari, beans with blood sausage, garlic mushrooms, fried whitebait, meatballs, mussels... not the healthiest lunch perhaps, but tasty nonetheless.

The mussels were very fresh.

Question: how does this place work? How does it stay open with such limited patronage?

#32 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:09 PM

We had Sunday lunch there yesterday. We were the only people there, but it was perfectly pleasant nonetheless.

We shared tapas - chorizo, calamari, beans with blood sausage, garlic mushrooms, fried whitebait, meatballs, mussels... not the healthiest lunch perhaps, but tasty nonetheless.

The mussels were very fresh.

Question: how does this place work? How does it stay open with such limited patronage?

We used to go there a lot, but have tailed off quite a bit now. Shame really, I think Sula and Mimi are great, and I like the decor. The downside is a lack of atmosphere often due to lack of clientele (as you pointed out), uncomfortable seating in the bar area (padding in chairs has flattened somewhat), very little variation in the menu and poor beer selection. If more people started going (and the seats were more comfy), I am sure the atmosphere would improve - I hope so, as I would love the place to go from strength to strength.

#33 ben

ben

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

A quick bump for Los Toreros. I went in there for the first time on Sunday, and was astonished by the tardis-like interior. It's really quite attractive with the stained-glass skylight over the spacious dining room at the back. You'd never know from looking at it from the street.

I ate a good lunch, with good wine, at a reasonable price. It's definitely now on my 'favourites' list for restaurants in the Triangle.

If you haven't tried it out before, I'd recommend taking a look. A lazy Sunday lunch followed by a rummage around the Hayes Lane Market (which is opposite) - worked for me!

#34 Mobsy

Mobsy

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

Another one of my favourites. Great to take a crowd of friends to, cocktails in the font bar then into the dining area. Good food and service - always a reliable choice.

#35 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

Another one of my favourites. Great to take a crowd of friends to, cocktails in the font bar then into the dining area. Good food and service - always a reliable choice.

Has it got any busier - especially the bar area? And are Sula (owner) and Mimi (waitress) still there? I notice by my last post that we haven't been there for a couple of years.

#36 Mobsy

Mobsy

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:25 AM

Has it got any busier - especially the bar area? And are Sula (owner) and Mimi (waitress) still there? I notice by my last post that we haven't been there for a couple of years.

I wouldn't say it had got any busier to be honest - which is a bit of a shame. Although on the last few visits having drinks in the front bar first, we've ended up in conversations with other customers and actually ended up sharing a table with them which has been brilliant and certainly something I've never done in other restaurants.

And yes Soula and Mimi are still there :)

#37 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

I wouldn't say it had got any busier to be honest - which is a bit of a shame. Although on the last few visits having drinks in the front bar first, we've ended up in conversations with other customers and actually ended up sharing a table with them which has been brilliant and certainly something I've never done in other restaurants.

And yes Soula and Mimi are still there :)

I think we stopped going there as the menu became very samey week after week, and the cocktails/red wine were a bit underwhelming. Must try it again though, maybe things have changed for the better :)

#38 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

I just realised that as I have left a review for the Ghurka Cottage (which we visited last night ) I really should leave one here too as we visited about two months ago, we really did have a nice time and the food was good, those that had seafood said it was very fresh and myself and middle son had the kleftico oooh lovely!! Service was very good, the Loos could do with a freshen up though. We plan to visit again.

Edited by Posie, 28 August 2011 - 12:43 PM.

#39 Koo

Koo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:18 PM

LOS TOREROS HAS CLOSED

It is with sadness that I have to announce the closure of Los Toreros. Soula, Mimi and staff will be deeply missed. Good luck to them in whatever they do next.

Koo

#40 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:32 AM

Shame. Topic closed.

Let's hope the premises (which is pretty special) is retained and used.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter