Photo

Crisps

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Cheese and Onion vs Salt and Vinegar (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Which flavour do you prefer?

1. Cheese and Onion (17 votes [36.96%])

Percentage of vote: 36.96%

2. Salt and Vinegar (29 votes [63.04%])

Percentage of vote: 63.04%

Which way round should the colours go?

1. Cheese and Onion is Blue - Salt and Vinegar is Green (6 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

2. Cheese and Onion is Green - Salt and Vinegar is Blue (40 votes [86.96%])

Percentage of vote: 86.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:04 AM

anyone else remember baked bean flavoured crisps about 35 years ago? - I think they lasted about 6 months

#17 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

I think its a very interesting issue, that should be some sort of classic marketing study or something (I don't know not my field), but considering Walkers has about half the UK crisp market (47% share) and is by far the most recognisable brand, for it to have the "wrong" colour scheme we associate with the flavours is extraordinary. But yes, S&V are blue.

Actually, I expect that 47% includes the non-ordinary brands in which they may well have the "proper" colour scheme, but its still by far the largest in terms of ordinary crisps (higher than 47% I'd have thought).

#18 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:17 AM

Someone mentioned Beef and Chicken flavoured Walkers crisps earlier. I havent seen either of them in YEARS.

I could never quite get into Monster Munch.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#19 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:05 AM

I try not to eat crisps too often but my all-time favourites are Wotsits and Pickled Onion Monster Munch. I've never understood the latter as I actually hate onion.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#20 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

That's okay because technically Wotsits aren't crisps (c.f. potato chip with maize snacks). Did you know that to make the Wotsits they create cheese pellets and mature them for about a month before creating the finished snack?

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned nik naks yet.

However, back to the original topic it is interesting to see that most people's impressions of the correct colour scheme for Cheese and Onion vs Salt and Vinegar goes against the packaging convention of the leading brand... would they sell more if they corrected their colour scheme??

European.vote - EU Referendum

#21 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

I'm also of the Golden Wonder old guard. I suspect most of those opining in such a way are from the 25 years plus bracket. I wonder if the results would be different if a poll was taken of the under 20s? A somewhat arbitrary number but my limited recollection of the Walker's new world order dates back roughly about 10 to 20 years.

#22 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

Like many, I voted that Cheese & Onion is green and Salt & Vinegar blue. I grew up eating Smiths crisps - remember those and I'm fairly sure they followed this convention? We used to have Salt & Shake a lot as I'm not a big fan of salt so I could throw away the blue sachet and eat them plain. In terms of more modern day crisps, aren't the salt & vinegar Kettle Chips in a blue bag? Of course, they aren't just called salt and vinegar but something like Maldon Salt Flakes & Modena Balsamic Vinegar :D .

Edited by gekko, 19 May 2009 - 09:27 AM.
fix emoticon

Mel, Forum Moderator

#23 juniper77

juniper77

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

Those S&V Kettle Chips are hideous - more sweet than salty. Although nothing comes close to the abomination that was Walkers recent attempt at Fish & Chips crisps. It's rare that a bag of crisps isn't finished in my house, but two crisps in and it became apparent that these were destined for the bin. The Builders Breakfast was almost as bad....

#24 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

I cant believe that no one has mentioned Frazzles, as they are one of my favourites. Not a fan of Kettle crisps at all.

Beef monster munch which recently came back out, and dare I say it 'squares' are also superb!

And finally a real treat, which are only really found in pubs, Tavern Snacks / crisps which are made locally in Charlton. I do like those crisps quite a lot too.!!

Must go, getting real peckish...

#25 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

Does anyone else still do 'fang face' when eating French Fries? Or is it just me..
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#26 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

Fish & Chips crisps - really vile. I like fish, but this tasted like rotten fish.

On the other hand, salt & vinegar is one of the joys of Britain!

#27 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

I'm not a fan of when Walkers bring out new flavours but I do love their Marmite ones! :D
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#28 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:14 AM

I recall Sausage & Tomato flavour crisps. Where are they now? Somebody tell me...

The greats in my humble opinion are:

1. Scampi & Lemon flavour Nik-Naks - easier to come by than they used to be but for the love of fragrance wash your hands afterwards
2. Smith's Salt & Shake Jackets - remember them?
3. Scampi Fries - great with Guinness. Great on their own.

Smith's, Golden Wonder, who did the square crisps? was that Smith's? And who made Britain's noisiest crisps?

Kettle chips are for those who like a bit of chardonnay on the patio with some tasteful jazz funk in the background. You know who you are. Real crisps were made to be eaten at bus shelters in the rain.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#29 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

Does anyone else prefer Salt and Vinegar flavour Discos to regular S&V crisps?

Which brands have the best flavourings?

European.vote - EU Referendum

#30 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

Smith crisps with the salt satchet now that takes me back.

But my alltime favouriteas as a young lad was monster munch pickled onion flavour !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig