Photo

Crisps

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Cheese and Onion vs Salt and Vinegar (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Which flavour do you prefer?

1. Cheese and Onion (17 votes [36.96%])

Percentage of vote: 36.96%

2. Salt and Vinegar (29 votes [63.04%])

Percentage of vote: 63.04%

Which way round should the colours go?

1. Cheese and Onion is Blue - Salt and Vinegar is Green (6 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

2. Cheese and Onion is Green - Salt and Vinegar is Blue (40 votes [86.96%])

Percentage of vote: 86.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:24 PM

I've never liked Discos. Far too salty for my liking.

I was in the tea bar at work yesterday and noticed that McCoys follows the S&V = blue, C&O = green rule. I think that it's only Walkers that do it the other way round.

OMG - I finally have something in common with Dazza :D .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#32 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:16 PM

Scarey - Favourites: Pickled Onion Monster Munch, Frazzles, Walkers Beef and Onion, Walkers Salt and Vinegar, SKIPS!, Cheesy Wotsits, and FRENCH FRIES - plain and salt and vinegar - soooooo mooorish!

Beef monster munch - mental

#33 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:43 PM

Charlie - taking the last packet of Roast Beef flavour Monster Munch in the Wilf household sparks a domestic. The police get called and everything.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#34 pupkin

pupkin

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

No mention of cheese and onion ringos yet.
Surely the king of cheese and onion crisps, they are sorely missed.

#35 juniper77

juniper77

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:13 PM

Ah, ringos. What a crisp. If they can bring back Wispa, surely they can bring back Ringos??

Every Disco flavour is good but barbecue beef - hideously orange there's so much nasty "beef" dust on them. I'm also partial to a Frisp, which only seem to be stocked in pound shops these days.

For anyone that loves Frazzles (and who couldn't), try and get hold of the Irish Tayto Bacon Sizzler. It's even baconier and better. A bit like an M&S bacon rasher, which were sadly made healthy about a year ago and just taste weird now.

The Estrella brand that Ikea sell is really good - if you like cheese and onion, you'll really like their dill crisps.

Weirdest one I've ever seen was a Tyrell's special for Valentine's day. Strawberry, white wine and chilli. What kind of tormented mind comes up with that to flavour a fried potato??? (although it did have a very pretty pink packet!)

#36 pupkin

pupkin

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

Ah, ringos. What a crisp. If they can bring back Wispa, surely they can bring back Ringos??

Every Disco flavour is good but barbecue beef - hideously orange there's so much nasty "beef" dust on them. I'm also partial to a Frisp, which only seem to be stocked in pound shops these days.

For anyone that loves Frazzles (and who couldn't), try and get hold of the Irish Tayto Bacon Sizzler. It's even baconier and better. A bit like an M&S bacon rasher, which were sadly made healthy about a year ago and just taste weird now.

The Estrella brand that Ikea sell is really good - if you like cheese and onion, you'll really like their dill crisps.

Weirdest one I've ever seen was a Tyrell's special for Valentine's day. Strawberry, white wine and chilli. What kind of tormented mind comes up with that to flavour a fried potato??? (although it did have a very pretty pink packet!)

Juniper,

Glad you're a fellow ringos fan!
Talking of wierd flavourings I used to work for a catering company and we were sent samples of vanilla ice cream monster munch.
And yes they were as awful as they sound.

#37 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:28 PM

[quote name='Uncle Wilf' date='May 19 2009, 10:14 AM' post='66571']

Kettle chips are for those who like a bit of chardonnay on the patio with some tasteful jazz funk in the background. You know who you are. Real crisps were made to be eaten at bus shelters in the rain.

Love this quote, It has made me chuckle and I couldnt agree more!!!

I think Square crisps where made by Smiths, but I think they are now made by Walkers..

#38 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

Ah yes Walkers' Squares - salt and vinegar flavour are the BEST in the world! Sadly can't seem to buy them in Palace though. Budgens used to sell them, much to my delight, but not any more. Luckily (or not) I work in Camden near a Morrisons who sell the multi-packs, so I can keep a healthy (!) stock in the office.

#39 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:40 AM

Charlie - taking the last packet of Roast Beef flavour Monster Munch in the Wilf household sparks a domestic. The police get called and everything.

That's MAD Uncle Wilf - I can just see your face now - a combination of :angry: :P :jedi: :huh:

What about OUTER SPACERS - Pickle bunion flavour and guaranteed 5p -slightly cheaper than a twix at 6.5p - wince

#40 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

Outer Spacers - the stuff great packed lunches are made of. Them and a few Sunpat sandwiches. Sometimes that's all you want.

And crisps adverts are not what they used to be.
Salt and shake did the bobby's girl thing - "We want to be salt and shake"
Wotsits - I remember an advert with a group of schoolkids on a coach.

And can anyone find Spring Onion flavour crisps these days or did they disappear with Bob Carolgees and spit the dog? Bob is making candles these days. What happened to the bloke or woman who invented spring onion flavouring? I;d happily buy them a can of tizer.
Fighting Nightingales

#41 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

I've not seen spring onion crisps for years - another flavour I could never stand. In the 5p price range, I used to buy some called Nosebags - they were like a budget version of Wotsits. The ice-cream van at school used to sell them in the days before tuck shops and the like were banned!

Square Crisps, I always associate with my dad as he used to stash them in the cupboard and gorge on them when my mum wasn't looking. I used to think they were very dull and definitely a dad type of crisp :P .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#42 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Something for all you Smith's crisps afficionados:
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#43 fungigirl

fungigirl

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

Showing my age now but what about Potato Puffs, plain were my fave but salt & vinegar would suffice. Where are they now? My sister used to throw them over the wall between the Infants and Juniors (Rockmount) as they had a tuck shop.

#44 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:39 AM

:( We didn't have a tuck shop at All Saints. I used to have Safeways' Spring onion crisps and very occasionally Monster Munch.

I didn't see a quaver til I was 9.
Fighting Nightingales

#45 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:28 PM

Whatever happened to (part 94)....Mesquito Kettle Chips? They were like catnip to us in the early noughties. Honey Barbecue don't cut it.