• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SallyClaire

SallyClaire

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

Can anyone advise where I might find old photos and/or information on the history of Grange Road? I was told there was a book devoted specifically to the road but I can't find it on the internet. I'm wondering if I would need to pay a visit to Croydon Library rather than Upper Norwood Library?

Thanks

Sally

#2 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:29 AM

Croydon library used to have a copy of the book a few years ago so it would definitely be worth looking there.

We were interested in the history of our house a number of years ago (I think it was for a war-time school project I was doing) and after much research t the library we found out lots of information about it.

Strangely enough 2 months after we had done our research, a man turned up at our house with his elderly mother (both of whom were visiting the UK from Canada) and asked to have a look round because his mother lived here during World War II. It was really interesting to here how much the area has changed but the house has remained the same :)
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#3 SallyClaire

SallyClaire

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:06 PM

Thanks - I will do that then!

That must have been a really interesting project to research - and bonus that the previous resident turned up!

#4 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:10 PM

Spooky! I was just coming to put a thread on about this! Mind you, I'm interested in more recent history and wanted to find out what was in the place of my block of flats at the top of Grange Road (which were built in 1997) and wondered if there would be any photos anywhere. I know it was probably just another block of flats but I'm curious now :P

SallyClaire, I'd be really interested to know if you find anything. I have the book "Norwood" by John Coulter but it really only shows Grangewood Park which is too far down from where I am.

#5 MissLizzie

MissLizzie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:10 PM

Are you at the very top of Grange Road, or in the block of flats about 3 or 4 properties down in the right hand side as you leave Beulah Hill?

There is a block of flats there that was developed in about 96/97 that replaced a beautiful Victorian house that in later years had been used as a nursing home. It had the most amazing viewing tower and roof terrace space and looked out for miles. If this is where you are, there should be photos in the archives at either Thornton Heath Library (which has a pack dedicated to up here) or at the library in CP.

#6 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

I'm about 3/4 properties down. They are the orangey brick flats and there are two blocks the same, separated by another lower block of flats. Mine are opposite the three wooden garage doors that everyone seems to know!

I really hope it wasn't my block that they knocked down that house for, that would be such a shame.

Thanks for all your help, I'll definitely pop down the library for a look.

#7 Mrs Oswald

Mrs Oswald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:31 AM

I'm about 3/4 properties down. They are the orangey brick flats and there are two blocks the same, separated by another lower block of flats. Mine are opposite the three wooden garage doors that everyone seems to know!

I really hope it wasn't my block that they knocked down that house for, that would be such a shame.

Thanks for all your help, I'll definitely pop down the library for a look.

The beautiful Victorian house with the viewing platform on the roof was called Mavis Bank. There is a photo of it in John Coulter's book 'Norwood Past'.

#8 SallyClaire

SallyClaire

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

Liz29 - I wonder if we're in the same block! The photo in John Coulter's book 'Norwood Past' of Mavis Bank was on the site of Discovery Court and is what made me wonder what was on the site of my flat. I'm still planning to go to Croydon library to find out...

#9 Rimshot

Rimshot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

Can anyone advise where I might find old photos and/or information on the history of Grange Road? I was told there was a book devoted specifically to the road but I can't find it on the internet. I'm wondering if I would need to pay a visit to Croydon Library rather than Upper Norwood Library?

Thanks

Sally

Try this, it might shed some more light on what you are looking for....http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=grange+road+thornton+heath+uk
Posted Image

#10 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

Liz29 - I wonder if we're in the same block! The photo in John Coulter's book 'Norwood Past' of Mavis Bank was on the site of Discovery Court and is what made me wonder what was on the site of my flat. I'm still planning to go to Croydon library to find out...

Hi Sally :)

Oooo, I'm in Empire Court, are you?! I've got a copy of Norwood Past - will check it out tonight!

Let me know if you find anything further out.

#11 wass

wass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

I also live in Grange Road.My house was bombed during the war and I managed to find out the exact time and type of bomb and a list of casualties for each specific bomb on www.flying bombs and rockets .com.This may help to explain the disappearance of one or two victorian villas that stood near your block.

#12 SallyClaire

SallyClaire

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:41 PM

So far, by comparing old maps to old directories, I've found that there were big houses on each plot along Grange Road running from Beulah Hill until The Lanes (I don't think there was anything on the other side of the road except those garages that are still there now). It looks as though the house on the site of Empire Court was called Ravens Croft (or Ravenscroft) and briefly had its name changed to Baltimore at one point.