• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#1 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:23 PM

Croydon's Core Strategy ' Imagine Croydon' and have your say...

This is taken from the Crystal Palace Business News Update:

You may be aware that the Council is currently seeking resident's views on the 'Imagine Croydon' long term visioning project. In tandem with this work, the Council has begun producing its Core Strategy. The Core Strategy Issues and Options - Initial Report is the first important step in preparing Croydon's Local Development Framework (LDF). The LDF is a suite of planning documents that will guide development and shape the places that make up the borough over the next 20 years (it replaces the old style UDP 'The Croydon Plan'). The Core Strategy is a "spatial plan". Spatial planning is all about places. It gives physical and geographic expression to the economic, social, cultural and ecological policies and priorities of the borough. It also provides a way to direct investment to achieve better places. The initial consultation report sets out how the borough should develop over the next 20 years and provides the basis for the other lower tier planning policy documents to follow. Whilst making sure we build enough homes, shops, jobs, schools, health, leisure and recreation facilities, it will also outline how we will protect our natural and built environment and adapt to climate change.

It is important for the future of Croydon that the people who live and work here contribute to the development of this important planning policy document. Your views are critical so please join Croydon Council Core Strategy team at this faciliated event.

#2 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:42 AM

I can not emphasise more that unless the people of Upper Norwood and surrounds who use Crystal Palace as a district centre provide comments on Croydon's core strategy and in particular the issues and options for Upper Norwood and the Triangle - we will have missed a MASSIVE opportunity to shape how this area develops and possibly whether we ever get a cinema in the area. If it hadn't been for the CPTPG pushing the Croydon Planning Policy team the opportunity to comment at this event ( originally just planned with Croydon enterprise) would not have happened because Croydon seem to think that issues that effect us up here should be discussed in a venue somewhere down in South Norwood. I think this shows what scant regard there is for this area even from Croydon the major stakeholder. Even now, this consultation event will fall just outside the official consultaiton period stipulated in the documents for consultation. Not good enough I say. Just what is going on with the the groups/councillors et all that are meant to be looking after the interests of this council tax and rates payers of this area and in particular the traders!! Questions need to be asked! If this area loses the opportunity to have a cinema in Crystal Palace with all the social, cultural and economic benefits it will bring - serious questions will have to be asked of those who represent this community.

In Southwark, the planning policy team have been present outside the main stations during rush hour encouraging people to get involved in their core strategy and new development plans- they seem to take their repsonsibilities under Southwark's Statement of Community Involvement far more seriously than Croydon or Bromley for that matter!

Edited by charlie, 08 September 2009 - 08:44 AM.

#3 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

Yes despite some excellent local councillors we definitely suffer from being at the periphery of five boroughs.

Even the simplest things seem to take ages to get done (if they ever get done at all...)

Four examples:

1) a safe phase for pedestrians to cross at the traffic lights at the top of Gipsy Hill;
2) pedestrian crossings in Church Road;
3) a dedicated police presence in the Triangle on busy evenings;
4) enforcement action against anti-social night clubs.

Of course if we get a cinema, I may forgive the slowness of the democratic process. Otherwise, I am going to start a campaign for a Crystal Palace UDI. "Passport to Pimlico" can be our inspiration.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#4 PhoenixCentre

PhoenixCentre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:36 AM

The Croydon Core Strategy, at this stage, is to seek opinion on where development and investment is to be implemented.

Please read the literature on the subject from the Council that we have posted on the Phoenix website:

www.phoenixcrystalpalace.org/Core_Strategy.pdf

(Remember to click the 'BACK' button to return to Virtual Norwood)

There are a lot of improvements that we want to see in Upper Norwood and its environs, but this meeting does not appear to be the means to air everything that the community would like to see done. We say this because we don't want anyone visiting our Centre to go away disappointed.

Pressure can still be applied via the Norbury & Upper Norwood Neighbourhood Partnership Meetings (next meeting at 7.30pm, 2nd December, Norbury Baptist Church), and the many interest groups wanting positive action.

The Phoenix Community Centre is a meeting venue only, and has no other active part in the Core Strategy.

#5 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

Don't forget everybody - this is the opportunity for people to have their say about the future planning policies for Crystal Palace District Centre and to support the options proposed for a regenerated area with a proper masterplan for improvements - traders and residents will never have a better opportunity then now - whilst the planning policy is being shaped. Please try and come along tonight and view the proposals and have your say.

#6 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:15 PM

Hot d****, completely forgot about this and now it's 7.15pm :(

Please could anyone with a better memory than me post about what happened?

#7 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

Absolutely, Croydon Council bothered to come and ask us what we want for our town and community and ten of us turned up! Hopefully everyone else gave their views online!

#8 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

Yes, we can still give views online over the next few weeks, the Croydon planners confirmed afterwards. Actually, and maybe I am an incurable optimist on such things, there were closer on 15 there - some of us were late; not realising it was a presentation rather than just an event, we had gone to The White Hart for a quick drink beforehand... That's OK for a drizzly Monday evening. Anyhow let's all stay engaged...

Here's to a Crystal Palace town centre, closer working with the other boroughs (especially Bromley and Lambeth), and an Area Action Plan. We'll get there.

Edited by andreas, 05 October 2009 - 08:20 PM.

#9 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

Interesting that South London Business (chair - Sir Bob Scott) highlights Crystal Palace as one of two examples of areas with potential for regeneration.

http://www.southlond...and_mission.php

Hi mods, I wonder whether you could rename this thread as "Regeneration of the Triangle" or "Triangle - Area Action Plan" please - because there is lots going on behind the scenes. Thanks, andreas

#10 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

Hi mods, I wonder whether you could rename this thread as "Regeneration of the Triangle" or "Triangle - Area Action Plan" please - because there is lots going on behind the scenes. Thanks, andreas

I second the request for a re-name of the thread. As a non-Croydon resident I didn't read any of this until now (the word 'Croydon', which doesn't appeal phonetically to me anyway, pops up twice in the title, which kept me away).

#11 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:57 PM

I wouldn't worry ziwa croydon doesn't give a fig about people that live in the outer reaches of the borough anyway. I just pay them every month for the pleasure of having an lbc bin that doesn't even get emptied properly

#12 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

I second the request for a re-name of the thread.

Done.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#13 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

I wouldn't worry ziwa croydon doesn't give a fig about people that live in the outer reaches of the borough anyway. I just pay them every month for the pleasure of having an lbc bin that doesn't even get emptied properly

Have you tried emailing your ward councillor? When I did recently (about litter in the road), Luke Clancy took action really quickly with the Croydon officials and matters were quickly sorted.

More generally, I have to say the attitude of Croydon towards Crystal Palace has changed enormously in the past few years. There are some key people there who are putting a lot of time and effort into trying to do their best for the area. I don't work for Croydon by the way. ;)

Edited by andreas, 24 January 2010 - 08:34 PM.

#14 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:49 PM

Done.

An inspired choice of title - thank you Elmo. :D

#15 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

Have you tried emailing your ward councillor? When I did recently (about litter in the road), Luke Clancy took action really quickly with the Croydon officials and matters were quickly sorted.

More generally, I have to say the attitude of Croydon towards Crystal Palace has changed enormously in the past few years. There are some key people there who are putting a lot of time and effort into trying to do their best for the area. I don't work for Croydon by the way. ;)

I believe you Andreas.....Yes maybe i should contact them, thanks for the heads up. Now, about those potholes!