• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#31 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:50 AM

Sounds good to me, if Croydon are indifferent to CP you could easily multiply that by a hundred to get to the level of indifference shown by Bromley LB.
They give the impression they'd cut us loose at the drop of a hat, given half a chance.

Or whiff of a multiplex proposal....

and yeah count me in for the people's revolution, The Crystal Palace Peoples Popular Front, (CPPPF!). :rolleyes:

Having just read through a copy of the Crystal Palace Business Partnership (that would be the CPBP)latest publication I'm disturbed to see yet another group speaking on behalf of businesses (150 if small prints correct) embracing NCP Ltd's multiplex proposal as the future for the park, the town and all who trade in her :(

#32 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:55 AM

Or whiff of a multiplex proposal....

and yeah count me in for the people's revolution, The Crystal Palace Peoples Popular Front, (CPPPF!). :rolleyes:

Having just read through a copy of the Crystal Palace Business Partnership (that would be the CPBP)latest publication I'm disturbed to see yet another group speaking on behalf of businesses (150 if small prints correct) embracing NCP Ltd's multiplex proposal as the future for the park, the town and all who trade in her :(

Citizen M to play the role of Wolfie Smith....

Anything would we preferable to being associated with Croydon (twinned with Jeremy Kyle)

#33 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:32 AM

Citizen M to play the role of Wolfie Smith....

"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them". - (Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V).

#34 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:05 PM

Welcome back to the forum QP

I have indeed thought many times about how Upper Norwood might benefit from an independent, cross borough political voice. To me this area will always suffer from the fact each of the wards that make up “Upper Norwood” hold little or no political capital so far as the Councils of Croydon, Bromley and Lambeth are concerned. Put simply there are no votes in this area of interest to tory dominated councils in Bromley and Croydon and none for a Labour dominated council in Lambeth because these are not key wards which could determine the balance of power.

Seems to me that one option would be the formation of the Crystal Palace Independence party. It would field 3 candidates for councillors in each of Upper Norwood (Croydon), Crystal Palace (Bromley) and Gipsy Hill (Lambeth) wards It’s aim would be to ensure representation in each borough by one unified party. CPI’s central manifesto would be that all 9 councillors would work together for the benefit of the area and use their influence on each council to ensure that the interests of the entire Upper Norwood Community were served.

As a minority party this would have to be by leverage. For example the CPI councillors in the UN Croydon ward would look to sit on Croydon planning committees and make it clear to Labour and Tory councillors for other Croydon wards that if they wanted CPI support against controversial planning decisions effecting those wards, there would have to be a quid pro quo for the benefit of Upper Norwood. Ditto finance committees – If Tory or Labour councillors in wards in Croydon and Lambeth wanted CPI’s support for specific financial measures , that would need to be matched by specific pledges for funding in Upper Norwood, for example the library.

Of course it may not work at all but if morons like the BNP can obtain local authority power on single issue, but divisive, policies, why not an independent local party fighting on local issues with a broad and inclusive manifesto ?

#35 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:06 PM

Some food for thought there and yes big welcome back to QP, I'm pleased to see we are no longer puddingless :)

I'm thinking of a UNIP (Upper Norwood Independence Party) slogan; Local issues for Local People...

in fact you've brought out the Julie Andrews in me Jamesl and inspired another little ditty to be sung to the tune of the Lonely Goatherd:

High on the hill there's a triangular high street
Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo
It's set at the apex of where five boroughs meet
Lay ee odl lay ee odl-oo

Folks in the town were fed up of the division
and feeling the brunt of the LA's apathy
They carried out research and got together for revision
Of the local constituencies

O ho lay dee odl lee o, o ho lay dee odl ay
O ho lay dee odl lee o, lay dee odl lee o lay

One fine day all of the town's people
turned out on mass to cast their vote
the result was broadcast from the highest steeple
"The UN Independence Party is afloat!"

No more cross border let downs
no more geographical neglect
the UN Independence Party
vows to gather and extend respect

for ho lay Crys tal Pal ace, for ho lay Crystal P
for ho lay Crystal Pla ace for you and for me!
:D

#36 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

And UNIP even has it's own bard :D.

Not sure about the party name, sounds a little too like UKIP but love the idea!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#37 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

And UNIP even has it's own bard :D.

Not sure about the party name, sounds a little too like UKIP but love the idea!

Yep UNIP's gonna be hard to work, it's either got UKIP thing going on or U NIP or almost tUrNIP btw Gekko I think you should join my Victorian Lady's Group, VLG, I'll send you a hand written invite for next Gin House knees-up :D

#38 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

Yep , got to be careful with party names. Always amused me when Robert Kilroy Silk was the leader of the Veritas party given it was an anagram for ITV arse.
  • RetiredMember2 likes this

#39 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

I thought we were trying to move away from calling ourselves Upper Norwood. We are a global brand remember so Crystal Palace it must be - how about Crystal Palace Popular Front CPPF or the Crystal Palace Independence Party CPIP or the Independence Party of Crystal Palace INCP, or the People's Party of Crystal Palace PPoCP.

#40 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

I thought we were trying to move away from calling ourselves Upper Norwood. We are a global brand remember so Crystal Palace it must be - how about Crystal Palace Popular Front CPPF or the Crystal Palace Independence Party CPIP or the Independence Party of Crystal Palace INCP, or the People's Party of Crystal Palace PPoCP.

And dont forget Charlie, we have a new postcode too....SC19

#41 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:05 PM

Don't remind me SLR :rolleyes:

In Southwark there is a new brand for planning documents which uses the word Revitalise25 ..................

Can you think of anything that ends in sc?

#42 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

Don't remind me SLR :rolleyes:

In Southwark there is a new brand for planning documents which uses the word Revitalise25 ..................

Can you think of anything that ends in sc?

Mollusc? Not very appealing i must admit

#43 Local

Local

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:00 PM

Crystal Palace Popular Front CPPF or the Crystal Palace Independence Party CPIP or the Independence Party of Crystal Palace INCP, or the People's Party of Crystal Palace PPoCP

CPPF CPIP INCP PPoCP: we'd probably need them all to accommodate various factions, Brian.

#44 QueensPudding

QueensPudding

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

CPPF CPIP INCP PPoCP: we'd probably need them all to accommodate various factions, Brian.

People's Republic of South Norwood, PR-i-SoNor :lol:

I prefer the Seepy Tea variations

#45 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

There was an item on Inside Out London (Jo Good, BBC1 Mon 8 March) http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b00rdxqp which I think has a lot of relevance to the current degenerative state of the Triangle, which is pretty representative of what is happening in many parts of London. It does point to successful models such as Brixton indoor market which can bring about regeneration and provide a unique community-based retail environment. The Chamber of Commerce would do well to invite a presentation from Spacemakers – the agency behind the Brixton project http://spacemakers.org.uk/. An indoor market may not be compatible with the physical environment of the Triangle, particularly the traffic congestion. But it is surely worth exploring. Maybe the “Rebuild Crystal Palace” concept, but along the lines of Spitalfields, Covent Garden or Camden Lock with substantial community involvement might have found wider public support.