• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:55 AM

I rememeber a rumour in the early 80s (probably 1980/81) that a pirate TV station was operating out of the rooms above the White Hart.

Also, a guy appeared on "I don't believe it" (I think that was the programme's name) with Noel Edmonds for having his garage nicked and his unlocked Rolls Royce lift behind, with the keys in it.

Anybody got any other memories of such rumours?
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#2 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

I always thought the Pirate radio mast was somewhere behind wards ( the paper shop closed opposite the hollybush pub)

The Oak tree which has been removed now ( health & safety) at the bottom of hermitage rd was a tree that dick turpin used to hide behind which us Kids was led to believe.

& I suppose the most famous rumour of the area is the ghost train which is buried somewhere on the Palce site which I'm sure has been mentioned on this forum before.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#3 kinchyuk

kinchyuk

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

I always thought the Pirate radio mast was somewhere behind wards ( the paper shop closed opposite the hollybush pub)

There's been plenty of pirate activity in the Palace area over the years, although most pirates with a clue wouldn't have the studio in the same place as the transmitter - too easy to be found (apparently). Kiss (the original pirate, not the cheese fest that it is now) and Starpoint were a couple of the more memorable stations broadcasting from the area.

I'm sure there's still a few around if you know what to look for..

Edited by kinchyuk, 04 November 2009 - 01:29 PM.

#4 IanW

IanW

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

The Oak tree which has been removed now ( health & safety) at the bottom of hermitage rd was a tree that dick turpin used to hide behind which us Kids was led to believe.

In Alan Warwick's 'Pheonix Suburb' (not sure what page but it was in an early chapter) said that Dick Turpin resided in a cottage near to where Thornton Heath station is now.

Edited by IanW, 04 November 2009 - 03:21 PM.

Support a cinema for Crystal Palace
Visit the campaign website: http://www.campaign.picture-palace.org
Sign the on-line petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/acfcp
Join the Facebook page: http://www.facebook....ce/169096823086

#5 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

Wasn't that the transmitter for Gipsy Hill Police Station? That's what my father would always tell me anyway.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#6 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

Not so much a rumour as fact, but I think we should hear some more about "Benny Benny Boom Boom" at what is now the Yak and Yeti in Church Road...
opposed to taking terrapins.