• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Heather

Heather

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:14 AM

I've met two people in Crystal Palace who hail from where I grew up and we have mutual connections. I met them both by chance. I came to London from Medway in Kent in 1987. Where do you come from?

#2 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:18 AM

Sheffield to London then Oxford then back here. Born in Bradford (only time I have been there) first four years in Halifax.

Edited by RachelF, 10 November 2009 - 08:19 AM.

Rachel
My link

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:32 AM

From CP but very rarely meet people who come from CP anymore
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:33 AM

Chichester, not quite sure how I ended up round here though

#5 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:41 AM

Born in Wolves, grew up in Telford, have lived in Bristol, Swansea, Milan, Birmingham, Walthamstow, Brighton, Crystal Palace, and now Streatham.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#6 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

Born in Essex, parents originally from Wales and the north-west, but funnily enough my mum's family moved to Dulwich when she was in her mid-teens and so she was based there until her mid-twenties, and my parents married in Dulwich!

So it's a part of London that has always felt a bit like 'home', and my brother lives over the other side of Dulwich in Forest Hill, so I do think it's nice that we've both ended up putting down roots in the same area. If my grandad hadn't sold the house in Dulwich and retired to Kent goodness knows what goldmine of a property the family might be sitting on now, but well, that's all water under the bridge many years ago.

Before arriving in this bit of London, I'd lived in New Cross, Rotherhithe, London Bridge, Kensington and finally Bloomsbury, in the space of 10 years - but only about 3 years of that time was outside the SE postcode district, so I've always been quite a loyal SE Londoner!

#7 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

I was born in Lancashire but grew up over the border in Cheshire - a place called Stalybridge, which is just outside Manchester.

I was a traitor to the Red Rose and lived in Yorkshire for 4 years and then came to London for work. I've been here for 10 years, during which time I lived for 3 1/2 years in Westminster (which was fab) with short spells in Kensal Rise, Archway and Wimbledon. For the last 5 years, I've lived in Crystal Palace and we have no intention to leave CP until we move out of London.

We'd love to head back oop north at some point in order to be closer to family (my OH is from Glasgow) and to escape the rat race. There are some aspects of London I really like - the history, architecture in the City, the fact it's a melting pot of cultures, lack of nosy neighbours. Other aspects I hate - crowded and unreliable public transport leading to long commutes, too many overworked/stressed/angry people, lack of work/life balance.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#8 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:51 PM

I was born in The Hague, Netherlands, brought up in New Zealand, moved to London in 95 and have lived here ever since.

In London I lived in Streatham, Primrose Hill, West Hampstead and now CP.

After the urban hustle and bustle of West Hampstead, CP is certainly more of a chill out zone.

A quieter lifestyle could be had back in NZ of course, but that would be a little *too* quiet. Plus I would miss being close to my favourite European holiday spots.

#9 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

From CP but very rarely meet people who come from CP anymore

Last of a dying breed aye Dazza?!

I was born in Dartford, grew up in Swanley, went to Uni in Leicester, back to Swanley, then bought a place in CP. And the only famous person to ever come out of Swanley is... fellow CP resident Mark Steel.

So I'm not a Londoner, but a "Kentish Man". Not "Man of Kent" - that's something entirely different :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#10 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

Germany - from the edge of the black forest and the borders to Switzerland and France. In London (mostly CP) since 1992.

...palacegirl aka the immigrant...

Edited by Palacegirl, 10 November 2009 - 01:42 PM.

..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#11 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

Parents are Salvation Army officers so we get moved every couple of years.
Born in Nottingham and stayed for 3 years, 2 years in Stoke-on-Trent, 3 years in Bromley and now 10 year in Upper Norwood.
We haven't moved recently because of our schooling. I finally managed to stay in one school from the first year to the last! :P

When I leave home I plan on staying in this area (if I can afford it) as I love everything about it and I would definitely call it 'home'
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#12 DeeBee

DeeBee

Donna Burgess

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

Migrated from East London (Wanstead, Walthamstow, Leytonstone) via Coventry >> Konstanz (Germany) >> Chingford >> Slough >> Chiswick >> Leytonstone >> Australia >> Chingford >> Wandsworth >> Earlsfield >> Brockley >> Earlsfield and have now happily reside in Crystal Palace.

I am a boomerang Londoner :-)

#13 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:36 PM

If you go by grandparents, Crystal Palace is definitely where I am meant to be: father's side in South Croydon; mother's side in Dulwich and Peckham Rye...
opposed to taking terrapins.

#14 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

Born in the West Country, spent my formative years by the sea. Came to London at the tender age of 18, moved around London Bridge, East Dulwich (a looooong time before it was posh), Camberwell and West Norwood before setlling in CP area - where I lived happily for 22 years.

No plans in leaving CP/London for the forseeable future, but if I had a nice big windfall (much as I love CP) I would consider moving to a large house with garden in Pimlico (some hope...).

#15 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

Australia to Dublin to Crystal Palace.