• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 raeleanne

raeleanne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:47 PM

Portsmouth. Us Pompey girls get around a bit...apparently!

#32 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:56 AM

born in Kings College, lived in Beckenham for 26 years then moved to Gipsy Hill. Apart from uni i've been here the whole time. You know you're a south londoner when "up north" means Islington.

#33 DiscoStu

DiscoStu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

Born in Colchester, Grew up in town outside of Colchester (Wivenhoe), Uni in Stoke-on-Trent, went Travelling for 18 months (including about 9 months in Sydney), then Leyton, Camberwell Green, Balham, Crystal Palace and now in Penge

#34 joey

joey

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:33 AM

100% West Norwood.
WEST NORWOOD

#35 jbphoto

jbphoto

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:50 AM

100% West Norwood.

how very exotic and uncommon!

Check out my Interior Photography Blog at http://jamesbalston.com

#36 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:18 PM

Born in South Norwood, came here (SE27) via Purley, Croydon, Roehampton, Putney, Clapham, Streatham, Colliers Wood, and Brixton.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#37 catfink

catfink

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

Born in South Manchester, York, Manchester, Camberwell, Hackney, Arsenal, Peckham and Gipsy Hill

#38 andybod

andybod

Time-zone challenged

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:29 PM

Parents both out of London. Mum from within sound of Bow bells. Dad from Gipsy Hill. Me? Born in Norwich. Then via Colchester, Chelmsford, Herne Bay, Canterbury (where I got to spend a good seven or eight years, Nottingham, Lyon, Nottingham, Maidstone, Rugby, Loughborough, Wandsworth and then back to within 200m of where Dad grew up (now a Shell garage and flats). Small diversion via Malawi but that's a whole other story. . . .
Andy Bodycombe
Freelance Photojournalist
www.andybodycombe.com

#39 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

Born west of Ireland, moved to Manchester when still young, then West Dulwich, Crystal Palace, Manchester, Nottingham, Crystal Palace, Newcastle and back to Crystal Palace.

Not surprised that so few have 'long term' local connections, but part of me finds its worrying. What kind of connection can people have with an area they've only known for a few years?

#40 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:06 PM

"What kind of connection can people have with an area they've only known for a few years" Why is that worrying Axean?

Looks like we could start another thread.

How long do you have to live in area before you can call yourself a local or develop a connection?

#41 joey

joey

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

How long do you have to live in area before you can call yourself a local or develop a connection?

long enough to wanna move onto another area.

Edited by joey, 20 November 2009 - 04:22 PM.

WEST NORWOOD

#42 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

"What kind of connection can people have with an area they've only known for a few years"

I'd say the answer is a lot. Where I come from originally people move around a lot more than they do here, but they also often invest more in their community and make an effort to build local links. We were raised to 'bloom where you are planted' (which could mean lots of things) but I've always taken the bloomin' part to mean you should put in effort to make your community better. You're the bloom in the community garden. :rolleyes:

If you are disconnected from your environment and your community, it makes little difference how long you've been there.

#43 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

actually if you look across the entire thread, many of us have been based in this part of London for several years if not CP/GH specifically. Many of us are referring to Norwood, Dulwich, Streatham, Peckham. I grew up in Beckenham and only moved here 5 years ago but I remember going to Joanna's with my parents since I was in primary school so I certainly feel a lifetime connection to CP.

I have to say too I think CP has much more of a community spirit than Beckenham, which is suprising.

#44 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:23 AM

...Not surprised that so few have 'long term' local connections, but part of me finds its worrying. What kind of connection can people have with an area they've only known for a few years?

I don't necessarily think you have to live somewhere for a long time to feel a connection to a place. I felt immediately comfortable with CP when I moved to the area over 20 years ago, unlike some of the other areas of London I had lived in, and have not felt an urge to move away as yet. Likewise, my SO grew up in London but moved to the West Country about 20 years ago. He immediately felt a connection with the town he now lives in, which is as strong as it ever was.

Some places just feel 'right', some don't.

#45 armidale3

armidale3

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:24 PM

Armidale, Australia to London 1994-present (SW8/SW9/SW2/SE27)