• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#1 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

I'm posting on behalf of Zubin Varla, who's setting up an SATB (sopranos, altos, tenors, basses) choir in Crystal Palace. You don't have to be able to read music. Here's the info:

My name is Zubin, I'm forming the choir that you put your name down for. Firstly, thanks!

I'm a musician, actor and singer, and over the 18 years I've been working in the profession, the most rewarding experiences by far have been working with different ensembles, creating music. Nothing quite beats it! I thought it was time Crystal Palace had a go launching its own choir.

It's early stages at the moment, but names on the list are growing steadily! A healthy 16 at last count.

Just wanted to let you know a little more of what I'm hoping for. Obviously numbers are important, so I'm going to keep advertising for a while yet. Please encourage anyone you know with a love of music to join. Especially men! The interest so far has mainly come from women. So plenty of sopranos and altos but tenors and basses in short supply! It is not essential to read 'dots' as I'll be teaching the music, and the joy of singing together is really all that matters. With Christmas upon us we probably won’t start rehearsing till the new year. I hope you’ll still be interested.

There will be no charge for joining the choir. A lot of established choirs in South London charge a fee per term, I don't want to do this. At the most we may have to put a pound in the pot per week to cover the rental of a local hall. I'm trying to find a venue where we can rehearse for free, being a community venture, but this may be impossible.

I hope we'll sing all styles and ages of music, from Bach to The Beatles, and from different parts of the world. If we start to get very good, then we can think about performing publicly. If we get outrageously good, then who knows, Royal Albert Hall?!

Time and place to be confirmed, but it'll probably be midweek, 8-9pm at a local hall.

There were some posts asking about local choirs a while back, so if you're interested please sign up at Bookseller Crow.

#2 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

Definitely interested. That's two more on the list.

#3 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

Cool!

#4 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:37 PM

Choir news! Zubin has been busy ringing round, and the upshot is that our first meeting will be on

Monday 11 January, 7-8pm, at Antenna Studios

He's suggesting a contribution of £1 or £2, according to how many of us turn up, for room hire. Any leftover cash to go in the choir fund for voluminous satin outfits :D

Really looking forward to meeting everyone - don't go catching colds now!

#5 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

Hey Nanazola- do you need to be able to sing to join the choir?

#6 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

well I suppose you need to be willing to sing. But fear not, you have a very nice voice...
opposed to taking terrapins.

#7 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:20 PM

Dunno Charlie - I guess it would be tricky if someone was completely tone deaf - and bloomin hilarious if we all were - but you don't need to know anything about music. Zubin's keen for it to be a community choir and all about the enjoyment of singing together. Sounds like you wouldn't have any probs.

#8 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:44 PM

Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Ti, Do .........Do, Ti, La, Sol, Fa, Mi, Re Do.................... :yawn: That isn't a yawn it's a vocal exercise :D

#9 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

Gah, I wanted to use that!

#10 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

PLEASE NOTE NEW DATE AND TIME FOR FIRST CHOIR MEETING!!!

It's now TUESDAY 19TH JANUARY, 8-9.30PM, ANTENNA STUDIOS (GALLERY STUDIO).

See you then!

#11 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

PLEASE NOTE NEW DATE AND TIME FOR FIRST CHOIR MEETING!!!

It's now TUESDAY 19TH JANUARY, 8-9.30PM, ANTENNA STUDIOS (GALLERY STUDIO).

See you then!

Hi Nanazola, I'd love to come along (and am a man...) but this clashes with the first Chamber of Commerce meeting of the year. Hopefully I'll be able to come along for the second meeting.

Cheers

andreas
opposed to taking terrapins.

#12 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:10 AM

That's great! Come when you can. Look forward to seeing you and Charlie for some trills and thrills.

Zubin's full of ideas and enthusiasm, and is keen to try out lots of different styles. Here's a suggestion:

:yawn: Whaaaaaaah, Bodyform....

#13 clairy

clairy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

I've put my name down for this. Sounds fun!

#14 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

Excellent, see you on the 19th clairy!

#15 Aunty

Aunty

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

We don't know if we can sing, but a friend and i would love to give it a try!

Just wanted to ask if the list to sign up is still in Bookseller Crow?

Thanks.
Aunty