• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 nico

nico

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:47 PM

So what are you all having for Christmas lunch? I'd love to get an idea of all your ideas and thoughts. Beef Wellington here with watercress, curried roast parsnips, glazed carrots and roast potatoes. Yum.

#2 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:24 PM

So what are you all having for Christmas lunch? I'd love to get an idea of all your ideas and thoughts. Beef Wellington here with watercress, curried roast parsnips, glazed carrots and roast potatoes. Yum.

half cooked brussel sprouts then you pan fry them in butter and red chillies - luv-er-ley B)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#3 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:52 PM

A Kelly Bronze turkey. :rolleyes:

I have dreams of goose, duck, roast beef, partridge, guinea fowl... but it's always turkey. But I'm comfortable with that.

Went to a friends wedding in South Africa a few years back and they had spit roast lamb for Xmas lunch (a whole darn sheep!) which was basting itself for about 6 hours. It was amazing. Really really amazing. :P
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#4 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:34 AM

A Kelly Bronze turkey. :rolleyes:

I have dreams of goose, duck, roast beef, partridge, guinea fowl... but it's always turkey. But I'm comfortable with that.

Went to a friends wedding in South Africa a few years back and they had spit roast lamb for Xmas lunch (a whole darn sheep!) which was basting itself for about 6 hours. It was amazing. Really really amazing. :P

Completely off topic, but while in South Africa i fell in love with eating Springbok. Felt a bit weird at first (eating their national animal), but got over it fairly quickly after meeting several afrikaans who i took an immediate dislike to (racist beyond belief). However i do realise that not all afrikaaners are not all like that, just the ones i met.

Anyway, it just has to be Turkey for Christmas, ITS THE LAW. It is also the blandest of all meats IMO, but it just has to be done.

#5 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

Turkey is too expensive for us at christmas. We bought a lovely looking duck crown from Sainsburys the other week for 5 so thats what we are going to have :)
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#6 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:29 PM

The afrikaaners we met were all really nice. Even gave us a house to stay in on a local golf course... brilliant. Everyone should spend at least one Christmas overseas doing something different from the norm.

But this year? Turkey. And a whole jar of cranberry sauce to myself... :)

Follow me on Twitter

#7 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

The afrikaaners we met were all really nice. Even gave us a house to stay in on a local golf course... brilliant. Everyone should spend at least one Christmas overseas doing something different from the norm.

But this year? Turkey. And a whole jar of cranberry sauce to myself... :)

I'm sure I'm going to score some upmanship points here!

Xmas 1995 Australia
Xmas 1996 Fiji

Weirdest feeling ever decorating a tree with your shorts on in 30C heat, then walking down the beach for cocktails with Jingle Bells playing on the stereo

#8 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:46 PM

gonna buy me a cheap duck from sainsburys on offer at mo & slow roast it until all the fat has left the bird & keep to make my roast potatoes will then eat duck chinese style mmm

Not sure I can beat that that but cruising down the thames early on Christmas Morning slaughtered a bottle of vintage Port was pretty special !

Dazza

PS Anyone got a recipe for fresh cranberries how to cook down & store fro christmas ?
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#9 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:58 PM

Turkey is too expensive for us at christmas. We bought a lovely looking duck crown from Sainsburys the other week for 5 so thats what we are going to have :)

Well, you're not missing anything. I'll be having turkey and I'd rather have duck any day as it's so much tastier.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#10 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:31 PM

Would really like to keep a goose for slaughter at xmas but far to many foxes, pumas, cheetahs & tigers in the vicinity to be practical.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#11 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:35 PM

Hmph we have no cooker in our new house and won't until the end of January, so goodness knows what. Difficult catering for a fussy meat eater and two vegetarians in just a microwave.

So it's the Dolphin on Christmas Eve instead for us.
Rachel
My link

#12 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

Rachel - why not invest in a slow cooker? They are amazing; use mine all the time for both stews and joints of meat.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#13 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

Hmph we have no cooker in our new house and won't until the end of January, so goodness knows what. Difficult catering for a fussy meat eater and two vegetarians in just a microwave.

So it's the Dolphin on Christmas Eve instead for us.

Rachel

I always thought Dolphin was considered meat! :rolleyes:

#14 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:54 AM

We are having our usual anglo-caribbean family feast (which consists of but not to the exclusion of anything else that people might turn up with) the following.......ready?
Turkey,Goose,Duck,Jerk Chicken,Gammon (for later, in case anyone is peckish,WTF)home made winter veg burgers, (no egg used for binding ingredients-for allergic nephew) Roast potatoes, sweet potatoes,yam,fried plaintain,boiled green banana,honey and whole grain mustard parsnips, carrots,brussels sliced thinly and wok fried in butter, olive oil and cumin,broccoli,home made stuffing x2, a fish dish, yet to be decided,PLUS stamp and go (salt fish fritters)to nibble on ....apparently! (takes deep breath....) roast squash and med veg in olive oil, garlic, etc, gravy for the meats, tomato gravy for the veg/fish eaters,orange and cranberry sauce, whole baked apples with nutmeg. Mince pies, xmas pudding, black cake. AND SOMEBODY WILL AT SOME POINT SAY DID YOU REMEMBER THE.........? And that is when I will possibly leave home!! Bear in mind this menu is for 20, plus the waifs and strays later in the day. I will be in the kitchen for more hours than I care to mention, and by the time I get to eat,(probably sitting on the worktop in the kitchen, knowing my luck)everything will ache, and I will want to sleep for ten hours, but someone will hand me a rum and coke as they dance past, to go and turn the soca up a bit more, and I will have a little smile, cos I love it really, whatever you are eating, whoever you are spending the day with I hope you all have a lovely time, Merry Christmas one and all.
Anyone for an after eight? no? oh go on!
Rosie x

#15 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

I've been to some feasts in my time, but that sounds amazing!

Room for one more? ;)

Follow me on Twitter