• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

I have a good recipe for a mixed nut and roasted vegetable roll encased in filo pastry which is rather delicious but I wouldn't say stunning. I'll look it out for you.

#32 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:16 PM

My mum (that'd be mom, where I'm from) made a cranberry relish that I really loved.

I found a similar recipe here:
http://simplyrecipes...anberry_relish/

Cranberry Relish Recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes.
Ingredients

* 2 cups washed raw cranberries
* 2 skinned and cored tart apples
* 1 large, whole (peel ON) seedless orange, cut into sections
* 1 to 2 cups granulated sugar (depending on how sweet you would like your relish to be)

Method

1 Set up the grinder with a medium-sized blade on the edge of a table with a large roasting pan or bowl to catch the mix as it grinds. These old fashioned grinders tend to leak some of the juice down the grinder base, so you may want to set up an additional pan on the floor under the grinder to catch the drips. If you don't have an old-fashioned grinder you can use a grinder attachment on a KitchenAid mixer, you can chop by hand (though that will take a lot of work), or you can chop in a food processor (be very careful not to over-pulse, or you'll end up with mush).

2 Run fruit through a grinder. Use the entire (seedless) orange, peels, pith and all.

3 Mix in the sugar. Let sit at room temperature until sugar dissolves, about 45 minutes. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes about 3 cups.

Notes:
Old fashioned cast iron grinders are easy to find and cheap to buy on ebay. Click here to find a meat grinder on eBay.

#33 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:59 PM

I have a good recipe for a mixed nut and roasted vegetable roll encased in filo pastry which is rather delicious but I wouldn't say stunning. I'll look it out for you.

Thanks Charlie. I guess "stunning" is a bit to much to ask of a nut roast... but "rather delicious" sounds good too :rolleyes:

#34 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:19 AM

My mum (that'd be mom, where I'm from) made a cranberry relish that I really loved.

I found a similar recipe here:
http://simplyrecipes...anberry_relish/

Cranberry Relish Recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes.
Ingredients

* 2 cups washed raw cranberries
* 2 skinned and cored tart apples
* 1 large, whole (peel ON) seedless orange, cut into sections
* 1 to 2 cups granulated sugar (depending on how sweet you would like your relish to be)

Method

1 Set up the grinder with a medium-sized blade on the edge of a table with a large roasting pan or bowl to catch the mix as it grinds. These old fashioned grinders tend to leak some of the juice down the grinder base, so you may want to set up an additional pan on the floor under the grinder to catch the drips. If you don't have an old-fashioned grinder you can use a grinder attachment on a KitchenAid mixer, you can chop by hand (though that will take a lot of work), or you can chop in a food processor (be very careful not to over-pulse, or you'll end up with mush).

2 Run fruit through a grinder. Use the entire (seedless) orange, peels, pith and all.

3 Mix in the sugar. Let sit at room temperature until sugar dissolves, about 45 minutes. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes about 3 cups.

Notes:
Old fashioned cast iron grinders are easy to find and cheap to buy on ebay. Click here to find a meat grinder on eBay.

Yum Yum Yum Mom - Can't find the link though - I've been wanting one of these for a very long time (nudge, nudge, wink, wink ;-))

#35 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

I have my own theory on Christmas dinner (and roasts in general, for that matter) in that the gravy has to be spot on.
It can save the day if anything else isn't as good as it should be.
No gravy recipie as yet but will keep you posted.

#36 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:15 AM

Agreed stuffing is a main component in any xmas meal. In my house I always prepare a beef & turkey gravy in advance.

I also do my special stuffing cake which is a meal in itself but great in turkey sandwiches as you can cut thin slices of it !

Dazza

PS Ziwa i will give it a bash but I will be adding port to your recipe as well !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#37 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:31 AM

I also need to provide a veggie option for two of our Christmas Day guests so would be very interested in this recipe please Charlie.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#38 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

I also need to provide a veggie option for two of our Christmas Day guests so would be very interested in this recipe please Charlie.

Gekko, I am waiting in anticipation for Charlie's version, but mine was going to be this (with a few changes involving a layer of savoy in the roll between the nut and the stuffing). I was going to serve this with German style red cabbage, pan fried brussel sprouts, cranberry sauce and all the other stuff (roast spuds, parsnips, gravy, etc):

Vegetarian Christmas Lunch: Lemon Stuffed Cashew Loaf en Croute

Ingredients:
75g butter
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
225g fresh cashew nuts (bought whole or in bits)
275g fresh breadcrumbs
3 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp grated nutmeg
3 tbsp milk
1 lemon - all the juice and grated rind
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
325g block of frozen puff pastry, thawed in the fridge

Directions For The Filling:

1. Melt 25g of the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and fry gently for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Season with a little salt and a good shaking of black pepper.
3. Add the cashew nuts, 100g of the breadcrumbs, all except about 1 tablespoon of the beaten eggs, the nutmeg, and the milk. Mix thoroughly, then, by hand, mould into roughly the shape of a bloomer loaf.

Directions For The Stuffing:

1. Rub the remaining butter into the breadcrumbs until well mixed. Season well with salt and pepper, and add the lemon rind and juice, and the herbs.
2. Mix well and mould into a thin log shape.

To Assemble:

1. Roll the pastry out fairly thinly, to a rectangle. Trim the edges neatly with a sharp knife.
2. Arrange the stuffing log along the centre, parallel with the longer sides, stopping 8cm from each end.
3. Press the filling mixture gently around the stuffing, to enclose it completely except at the ends.
4. Brush the edges of the pastry with a little of the remaining egg, and draw the long edges together, pinching to seal them.
5. Grease a large baking sheet, or line with parchment, then place the loaf carefully onto it, with the join on the underside. Any pastry scraps could be used to decorate with holly leaf or Christmas tree shapes, stuck on with a drop of egg. Brush the whole loaf with the remaining egg.
6. Bake towards the top of the oven at 200C for about 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown all over.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before placing on a presentation dish and taking to the table to carve.

#39 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

That looks absolutely delicious but my only comment would be is that it is fairly mono in that it only has one main ingredient - the cashews. Definitely think you need a veggie somewhere - savoy cabbage sounds yum. :P

The principle/method is fairly similar to mine - a nut layer bound together with egg and breadcrumbs and lemon juice. But my recipe includes a vegetable layer in the middle: red onions, peppers and courgettes which have been roasted with 'erbs and garlic. The nut layer is a mix of chestnuts, onions, 'erbs, walnuts and brazil nuts, breadcrumbs, lemon juice and eggs. and the pastry is filo.

Will try and post later today Mis Potty and Gekko together with a photo. I couldn't find it on line.

Edited by charlie, 08 December 2010 - 01:12 PM.

#40 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

... Mis Potty ...

Is that a reference to Miss Poddy's perceived state of mind? ;)

#41 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:53 PM

Is that a reference to Miss Poddy's perceived state of mind? ;)

mmmmmmmmm. Will have to think about that one.... :unsure:

By the way, if you are cooking a big meaty meal for lots of people, but only have one or two veggies at the table, maybe Jamie's version will be more suitable than the whole en croute palaver which is a bit of a pain...
See what Jamie says here

That looks absolutely delicious but my only comment would be is that it is fairly mono in that it only has one main ingredient - the cashews. Definitely think you need a veggie somewhere - savoy cabbage sounds yum. :P

The principle/method is fairly similar to mine - a nut layer bound together with egg and breadcrumbs and lemon juice. But my recipe includes a vegetable layer in the middle: red onions, peppers and courgettes which have been roasted with 'erbs and garlic. The nut layer is a mix of chestnuts, onions, 'erbs, walnuts and brazil nuts, breadcrumbs, lemon juice and eggs. and the pastry is filo.

Will try and post later today Mis Potty and Gekko together with a photo. I couldn't find it on line.

And this DOES sound much better indeed. I would have added stuff to the above recipe as for me carrots and chestnuts belong in there too, but yours sounds indeed ... STUNNING! :D

Edited by misspoddy, 08 December 2010 - 01:55 PM.

#42 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

Hmph we have no cooker in our new house and won't until the end of January, so goodness knows what. Difficult catering for a fussy meat eater and two vegetarians in just a microwave.

So it's the Dolphin on Christmas Eve instead for us.

We are the same - a started but not finished kitchen refurbishment that won't be done until the new year. We have just bought a two ring electric hob and a basic microwave sized convection oven from Argos for £60, which I used to cook a roast dinner in last week. It will get us to the end of Jan / beggining of Feb anyway.

EDIT: I just noticed that was 2009!!!! I assume you now have a cooker RachelF? ;)

Edited by Bosie, 08 December 2010 - 02:39 PM.

Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#43 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the recipes folks. The Jamie option sounds like a quick win as it's only for two people. Still it's always good to have a store of veggie recipes so the more, the merrier.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#44 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:47 PM

mmmmmmmmm. Will have to think about that one.... :unsure:

By the way, if you are cooking a big meaty meal for lots of people, but only have one or two veggies at the table, maybe Jamie's version will be more suitable than the whole en croute palaver which is a bit of a pain...
See what Jamie says here

And this DOES sound much better indeed. I would have added stuff to the above recipe as for me carrots and chestnuts belong in there too, but yours sounds indeed ... STUNNING! :D

I wouldn't go that far Miss P.

En croute is a blinkin palavar but I think presentation is key for Christmas day even for the minority veggies. The effort will also be appreciated.

I can't believe this was from a December Tesco Recipe Collection Bumper Christmas Issue in 1996. (60p)

From recollection it is quite easy to make even the rolling and pastry bit. And it does look festive.

Serves 8: Probably 6 in our house
Prep time: 30 mins ha ha ha ha
Cooking: About 30 mins
Calories/Fat per serving: 577cals/39g
Cost per serving in 1996: 1.15

Vegetable layer

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon freshly chopped Oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 red onions, cut into wedges
1 large red pepper, deseeded and quartered
1 large yellow pepper, deseeded and quartered
2 courgettes thickly sliced length ways

Nut layer

2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 onions finely chopped
2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley
425g can whole peeled chestnuts, drained??? and finely chopped
100g Brazil nuts finely chopped
100g walnuts finely chopped
225g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
Grated rind and jus of one lemon
2 large oeufs

Pastry

200g fresh filo pastry
50g beurre, melted

Preheat oven to 220 degrees/425/gas mark 7. Line a baking sheet with non stick baking paper.
For the vegetable layer, mix together the oil, garlic, oregano and season. Arrange the onions, peppers and courgettes on a baking tray and brush generously with the oil mixture.
Cook the veg towards the top of the oven for about 15mins until almost tender. When cool enough to handle, peel the skins off the peppers and slice thinly.
For the nut layer, heat one tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan, add the onions and fry until tender. Stir in the freshly chopped parsley.
In a large bowl, mix together the chestnuts, brazil nuts, walnuts, breadcrumbs, lemon rind and jus and seasoning. Add the onion mixture and oeufs and stir until evenly blended.
On the lined baking sheet, spread and press the nut mixture to a neat oblong measuring 25 x 20cm (10 x 8 inches for Hermy Hermit). Arrange the vegetables on top of the nut mixture and, using the paper as a guide, roll up from a long edge into a neat roll.
For the pastry, re-line the baking sheet with non stick baking paper and place 3 sheets of filo pastry overlapping at the long side by about 5cm (2 inches) across the paper. Brush with melted butter and cover with another 3 sheets. Repeat twice to use twelve sheets of filo.
To assemble, place the nut roll in the centre of the pastry with the join underneath. Bring one side of the pastry layer over the roll, fold in the ends and bring the remaining pastry over to cover. Brush with melted beurre.
Roll up the remaining pastry loosely the cut crossways to make 5 strips. Unroll, brush each one with butter and arrange randomly on top of the roll.
Cook the roll in the oven for about 30 mins until golden brown. When ready remove from oven and slide on to a warmed serving dish. Serve hot.
Can be made in advance and frozen for up to one month defrost thoroughly before cooking.
Can be made the day before and kept in fridge overnight too.

#45 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

Here's one I made earlier:

Posted Image

I've also just whipped up some Christmas Florentines. Never thought I'd like them but they are delicious and look good in dark, milk and white chocolate. They are really easy to make and make fun edible presents wrapped in tissue paper and tied with ribbon.

Posted Image

Edited by charlie, 09 December 2010 - 11:11 AM.