31 replies to this topic

#1 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

hello,

I have got an old wooden front door which I would like to have replaced.

Every winter the door is expanding, it's drafty and due to condense water, the paint is peeling off...... I really want to have it replaced - thinking of a PVC door, nothing fancy, it's not that I live in a period house or anything....

so I am looking for a draft free and most of all a secure front door

Has anybody had any experience with local firms? I am reluctant to contact any of the double glazing firms as I don't want to be getting NUMEROUS sales calls........

thank you

...palacegirl
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#2 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

I was reading something about upvc front doors the other day the advice was go for the latest ones as the older models are really easy to break into, burglars can kick the panels out very easily with one go!! maybe you could consider a well made wooden front door, fitted by the company, there is a shop in Penge, on the opposite corner to the police station, they have some lovely looking doors in there, but goodness knows how much they will cost! We bought a second hand 1930's door to replace the 60's monstrosity that someone had fitted on our house but to be honest it is really badly warped, and my brother in law who is a carpenter by trade spent many an hour swearing at it (and me) when he fitted it. When our dear old dog goes to the great kennel in the sky then we will be in the market for a new one too!

#3 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

I would recommend a local company called The Window Clinic, based in South Norwood. We used them last year to install French doors, and were very satisfied with their service and price. They don't have much of a showroom (which keeps their costs down) but Graham Higgins was very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly - and not at all pushy! Their phone number is 020 8771 2200.

Edited by Sylvester, 12 January 2010 - 02:33 PM.

aka Pie

#4 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

ahhhh.... ok, I really want to have a door which is safe and sound....

I quite like to have a stable type door - I quite like that - i.e. just to get a bit of air in in summer :)

Sylvester - thanks _ i will give them a call to get an idea on price!

Cheers
....palacegirl

#5 H2o

H2o

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:00 PM

call this guy he is cheap and really good 07882006420 and is in croydon.

#6 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

I have used the company in Penge once (long time ago) and was happy with the price and the service (they fitted the door).

Another option is to consult the handyman Jordan (numerous good reviews on here) and seek his guidance on buying a door from a DIY shop and asking him to fit it.

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

I am not a big fan of doors from DIY stores it really depends on what quality you want.

I would have a wooden door everytime but you do have to treat it & look after it & are usually more costly than UPVC doors however the technology with UPVC has gathered speed & some UPVC doors are nearly impossible to tell if they are wood or UPVC as they are now grained.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#8 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

[quote name='Dazza' date='12 January 2010 - 09:03 PM' timestamp='1263330201' post='76064']
I am not a big fan of doors from DIY stores it really depends on what quality you want.

I would have a wooden door everytime but you do have to treat it & look after it & are usually more costly than UPVC doors however the technology with UPVC has gathered speed & some UPVC doors are nearly impossible to tell if they are wood or UPVC as they are now grained.

Dazza
[/quote

hmmm... the door was painted 2 years ago but it keeps on expanding...now i can't sand it down everytime it's wet weather... hence I think maybe a UPVC door is the better option for me?

to be honest - i have a really nice flat but the building is not 'pretty'...therefore I am really looking for something that does not let any draft in ( got new windows but the hallway is still cold due to the door...:(
and something I can lock at night and has got proper locks.

will go on a mission on the weekend to have a look at some. I just wanted to avoid calling 'crystal windows' and what they are all called - I couldn't get rid of them anymore when I once enquired about double glazing!

...palacegirl

#9 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:37 PM

to be honest - i have a really nice flat but the building is not 'pretty'...therefore I am really looking for something that does not let any draft in ( got new windows but the hallway is still cold due to the door...:(
and something I can lock at night and has got proper locks.

will go on a mission on the weekend to have a look at some.

...palacegirl

Your flat is quite modern I think, so a uPVC door would not look out of place. Just don't go for a pseudo Victorian or Georgian style! :blink:
aka Pie

#10 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

If you were thinking of wood rather than upvc then I'd recommend this firm in Forest Hill

http://www.dawesford...es_external.htm

They supply and fit and the locks comply with the relevant BS for insurance purposes (which is something you need to be certain of regardless of which type you choose).

Remember that front doors are seen by both the Police and insurance companies as vulnerable points of entry so read your insurance policy carefully to ensure that whatever door you buy is fully compliant with your policy terms. I know of one case where , even though the burglars came in through a back window, the insurers tried to deny the claim on the basis that the front door and front window locks were not up to standard.

This is a really useful guide on minimum standards

http://www.crimeredu...cpghs.htm#doors

Edited by jamesl, 13 January 2010 - 01:11 PM.

#11 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

If you were thinking of wood rather than upvc then I'd recommend this firm in Forest Hill

http://www.dawesford...es_external.htm

They supply and fit and the locks comply with the relevant BS for insurance purposes (which is something you need to be certain of regardless of which type you choose).

Remember that front doors are seen by both the Police and insurance companies as vulnerable points of entry so read your insurance policy carefully to ensure that whatever door you buy is fully compliant with your policy terms. I know of one case where , even though the burglars came in through a back window, the insurers tried to deny the claim on the basis that the front door and front window locks were not up to standard.

This is a really useful guide on minimum standards

http://www.crimeredu...cpghs.htm#doors

Thanks for all the suggestions, well, I am currently waiting for a brochure from the Window Clinic - they sound reasonable but I want to see first what I am buying.

I also had a visit from Everest ... ohmegod...... first quote : 3.200 2nd quote (and buy immediately discount) : 2.000 third quote : I am sure it'll be with me soon enough.

There is no way I would use them...

I am now waiting for Anglian, but to be honest I don't think it will be much better than Everest :unsure:

#12 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

I also had a visit from Everest ... ohmegod...... first quote : £3.200 2nd quote (and buy immediately discount) : £2.000 third quote : I am sure it'll be with me soon enough.

There is no way I would use them...

I am now waiting for Anglian, but to be honest I don't think it will be much better than Everest :unsure:

I think you will find the Window Clinic will prove much more economical! As they told me, they don't have any fancy showrooms or sales staff to support.

Edited by Sylvester, 20 January 2010 - 10:36 PM.

aka Pie

#13 Heritage

Heritage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:51 AM

Hi Palacegirl when looking for a new PVC door there are a few things that you should make sure that you are getting, firstly it should have at least a C energy rating, it should also have 4 hook bolts and also make sure it has a 70mm thick frame there a are still a lot 60 mm frames around.You should be looking at around 550
and don t buy a door from a diy store they are rubbish.

#14 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:39 AM

It all depends what type of door you are looking & dependant on how much glass is in the door ! After the 01/10/2010 document L of the building regulations say that you must achieve a uvalue of 1.8 or under & doors do not do not officially have to have a rating only windows require a BFRC / WER rating from the 01/10/2010 officially.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#15 Heritage

Heritage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hi Dazza thanks for your input, I was not going to go down the u value route as it can be confusing for most consumers so I guess my point is that by buying a c rated product which should not cost any more, the customer knows that they are covered. :rolleyes: