• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#1 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

I found the posts on the 'Severe weather' thread really useful when planning my journey to and from work over the past few weeks. I thought it might be useful to have an ongoing travel-specific thread on which we could report any significant delays or cancellations on the trains and buses or problems on the roads for any reason - weather-related or otherwise. :)

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

I found the posts on the 'Severe weather' thread really useful when planning my journey to and from work over the past few weeks. I thought it might be useful to have an ongoing travel-specific thread on which we could report any significant delays or cancellations on the trains and buses or problems on the roads for any reason - weather-related or otherwise. :)

Great idea :) Found the sever weather thread invaluable travel wise in the snow.

#3 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

maybe we could get this pinned? then again - there are so many problems on the trains i doubt the thread will ever get lost off the bottom of the page :)

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Claudia. I'm not generally in favour of pinning too many topics as this function is meant for flagging important information such as forum guidelines and changes. The 'cinema' thread is an exception as it's a major local campaign.

As you say, it'll probably stay close to the top of the page anyway as most of us encounter travel problems on a regular basis.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

This is a great idea. During the snow days, I referred to the severe weather thread more than I did to the Met Office or the BBC in the end.

VN should get a share of the licence fee.

#6 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

My first problem :(

I heard today that First Capital Connect had reverted to a full time table after 3 months of reduced timetable with all my usual trains cancelled) due to drivers refusing to work overtime. With some delight I tripped down to CP station, but when I got to Tulse Hill I found that my previous train now does not seem to exist. Grrrr....

Anyway - moral of story is, check the timetable as your previous FCC train might have vanished.

#7 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:57 AM

Lineside fire at Battersea Park - stuck on train from CP to Victoria going nowhere fast :(

#8 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:27 AM

Hope you got to work eventually SL. Looks like I just missed this by an hour.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#9 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

It's fairly small beer compared to the stress of the trains, but the X68 was a bit of a nightmare today - it was late already when it arrived (around 8.20, I'd been waiting at Knights Hill since 8), and then the driver, for the first time in months, went via Brockwell Park.

This of course was as busy as usual, took about 20 minutes to get past it, but then the driver turned left at Herne Hill and carried on via Brixton! By the time we got through Brixton, we actually caught up with the X68 in front of us, so that one must have been travelling even more slowly than we were. Were there travel issues around Upper Tulse Hill today I wonder, which meant the buses were being made to go via Herne Hill?

Added to that, the current roadworks on Waterloo Bridge make the last leg of the journey a real pain as well, but it's still nowhere near as bad as it was a few months back.

#10 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:19 AM

My other half just phoned to say that all trains to Victoria are cancelled. She's having to head into town via London Bridge.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#11 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

There was a line-side fire at Battersea Park during the rush hour, so there were long delays. Expect they need to get things sorted out and clear the log jam.

Sorry - just realised someone else has reported on this above, but can't delete my post!

Edited by GillW, 20 January 2010 - 12:01 PM.

#12 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

I cut my losses and got the Northern Line from Balham.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#13 phil solo

phil solo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

There are also power/signalling problems at Victoria according to Southern's website, likely caused by the fire at Battersea.

#14 Miss_C

Miss_C

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

All trains to West Norwood are currently cancelled as a lorry has hit the railway bridge next to the station.

#15 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

Just so you guys are aware - Ive just come back up the hill after trying to a catch a train into town (either way), and a truck has hit the bridge in west norwood SUSPENDING the WHOLE route!....
so keep an eye on things and/or make other arrangements to get back to CP via buses etc...
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com