• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#16 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

BBC travel website reports that Norwood High Street has re-opened so there will hopefully not be many delays to buses (especially the X68 I will be on later!).

Suspect it will take longer for trains to get back to normal.

#17 kinchyuk

kinchyuk

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

Just so you guys are aware - Ive just come back up the hill after trying to a catch a train into town (either way), and a truck has hit the bridge in west norwood SUSPENDING the WHOLE route!....
so keep an eye on things and/or make other arrangements to get back to CP via buses etc...

Quick update, apparently it was back to 'normal' (whatever the definition of that is!) about an hour ago, so about 4.30pm.

#18 vickyp

vickyp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

BBC travel website reports that Norwood High Street has re-opened so there will hopefully not be many delays to buses (especially the X68 I will be on later!).

Suspect it will take longer for trains to get back to normal.

Unfortunately it's taking longer to get the road sorted out. All traffic is being rerouted round the main road and it's quite narrow so traffic is backed up the high street. The lorry still had it's load on when I went past about 5.40pm and they'll need to empty the load before they can move the lorry as it's shifted and would cause even more of a mess if they attempted to move it without emptying it.

I had to wait 20 mins for a 432 and when it finally came the destination changed before we'd got to the next bus stop, terminating at the bus garage. From getting on the next 432 at 5.30 it took us 30 mins to get up to the old post office on central hill.

#19 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

I got on a 468 outside West Norwood station at 8pm after waiting for 15 min or so. And 4 buses came at once! That's propably what caused the delay.

#20 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

There were signalling problems at Balham this morning. My train stopped at Streatham Hill so I was able to get a bus to Brixton. Only 15 min late in the end!

#21 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:24 AM

Yep, there was a points failure at Balham. I was on the 07:55 from CP which sat at Streaham Hill for a while, and then sat outside Balham for ages. Got into Victoria at just gone 9:00!

#22 jbphoto

jbphoto

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:24 AM

There were signalling problems at Balham this morning. My train stopped at Streatham Hill so I was able to get a bus to Brixton. Only 15 min late in the end!

My partner was stuck on a train near Balham for 40 mins this morning

Check out my Interior Photography Blog at http://jamesbalston.com

#23 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

My partner has just arrived fifteen minutes late for an interview, despite setting off with two hours to spare :blink: :( :angry:.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#24 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

My partner has just arrived fifteen minutes late for an interview, despite setting off with two hours to spare :blink: :( :angry:.

:( I would guess that the interviewers would be understanding, but it is stressful enough going for an interview without the trains causing you to be late! Hope it went well.

#25 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

Yep, there was a points failure at Balham. I was on the 07:55 from CP which sat at Streaham Hill for a while, and then sat outside Balham for ages. Got into Victoria at just gone 9:00!

I'm glad I got out at Streatham Hill then. What a way to start a day!

#26 kinchyuk

kinchyuk

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

Seemed to be affecting trains on the Penge West/Anerley -> London Bridge route this morning too - 10.25 from PW turned up 10 minutes late and then got stuck outside London Bridge for a while. Bizarrely enough it was packed by the time we got to Forest Hill. Never seen that on a train outside of rush-hour..

#27 noseturnedblue

noseturnedblue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:34 AM

Southern Railway is rubbish! OK yesterday might have been exceptional but how often have we head this excuse? I travel from Gipsy Hill to Victoria on the trains between 7:30 and 8:00 in the morning and they are always late! How many people have silently kicked their heels in frustration as another scheduled train is held up to allow a train from East Croydon to be diverted through this route. The bottom line is that Southern has no commitment to run a punctual service along this line. They certainly do not dare disclose what the punctuality rate of services from Gipsy Hill to Victoria is. If no one complains then nothing will be done.

#28 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

Having been stuck on the train outside Balham for 45 mins, I got to Victoria last night to catch the 18:07 to find all trains had been cancelled or delayed due to a massive power failure at Clapham Junction! The travel gods were not smiling on me yesterday. Got the tube to Borough where my husband picked me up in his van. Gah.

#29 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

i'm sure you've all noticed by now but the signal failure at Wandsworth Common means trains to and from Victoria are cancelled. I had to tube to London Bridge and get the train to Gipsy Hill from there - those are running a few minutes late, but running nonetheless. Any VNers still at work shouldn't really bother with Victoria tonight!

#30 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

Any VNers still at work shouldn't really bother with Victoria tonight!

Or do the trusty Plan B of a train to e.g. Orpington, get off at Herne Hill and then a bus #3 or #468 depending on your preferred part of Crystal Palace. NB - one needs to walk left to the main road bus stops near Ollies to get the 468.
opposed to taking terrapins.