• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#31 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

Or do the trusty Plan B of a train to e.g. Orpington, get off at Herne Hill and then a bus #3 or #468 depending on your preferred part of Crystal Palace. NB - one needs to walk left to the main road bus stops near Ollies to get the 468.

That's what I did yesterday.

#32 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:01 AM

Problems getting to London Bridge this morning.

From BBC website:

London Bridge - no service Disruption between London Bridge and East Croydon, between London Bridge and Wimbledon and between London Bridge and Sutton (Greater London) due to lineside fire. Tickets being accepted on local bus routes and London Underground services.

Also no trains to Waterloo East, Charing X & Cannon St apparently...

Recently heard update that a very limited amount of trains are now reaching LB.

Edited by Summit Lover, 03 March 2010 - 07:37 AM.

#33 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

Tell me about it. Stuck at cp right now. Nothing happening on plat 2

#34 caoimhe

caoimhe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

X68 takers, there is a traffic accident directly outside Holborn Station, a car turning left from High Holborn into Kingsway has crashed into the pedestrian barriers. Southampton Row and kingsway are closed in both directions. The fire brigade are on site and are removing the driver from the car. No buses are running through Holborn/Kingsway at the moment.

#35 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:03 PM

I realise we are getting a bit off-topic from the specific VN area, but I walked past the scene of the Holborn accident last night leaving work and there was a funeral directors vehicle there as well as the usual police vans, so looks like it was a fatality - very sad.

#36 whydelilah

whydelilah

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

To anyone going south on buses (thinking particularly of the X68-ers): TfL report that

STUDENT MARCH AND PROTEST - ROUTE 242 243 341 388 453 521 RV1 X68: On Thursday 9 December between 1200 and 1900 buses will be on diversion due to the student march and protest in central London.
X68: Will be curtailed to terminate at Waterloo from the South and until Aldwych Western Arm has fully re-opened.

A live person at TfL told me that this means that buses will be running but may be (probably will be) delayed.

#37 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

As an X68 regular I'm finding the roadworks close to Tulse Hill station damned annoying this week. Taking 20-30 mins to go from West Norwood station through the roadworks and onto the Tulse Hill gyratory. Not so bad coming home mind.

Looks like the first half of the roadworks is complete and now the other side of the road is dug up. Hopefully back to normal by Monday...

#38 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

Is the Tulse Hill roadworks that wretched water main again? It seems to burst every time there is a cold snap and causes havoc....my heart sank when I came home after New Year and saw that the road was closed there *again*.

Does look like the works are being cleared up now, but it drives me mad that 50% of my journey time to work is simply spent trying to get out of West Norwood at the moment.

#39 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:08 AM

Does anyone know what the problem is with the X68 this week? Yesterday going northbound in the morning the 06.46 @ All Saints Church, Upper Norwood was about 20 minutes late, last night I waited from 17.00-18.00 at the Aldwych & only one (full & not stopping) X68 went southbound (I gave up & got a relay of buses to Beulah Hill), this morning the 06.46 was 20 minutes late - & so full it didn't stop from Hermitage Road onwards, the 07.01 was only about 5 minutes late, but full by Crown Point. The people who usually get on at West Norwood must have waited ages to get on a X68! There are (or were over the w/e) road works at the Beulah Hill/Church Road junction, but surely it doesn't cause this sort of service? Any clues, fellow X68ers? (My partner has a theory they're phasing out the service bus by bus...)

#40 whydelilah

whydelilah

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

They also missed out the 4.20pm yesterday. The driver of the next bus (arrived at 4.45pm not 4.35pm and stopped in Camberwell for water or something) said that the previous bus had something wrong with it.

When I called TfL, they said disruption was being blamed on the Beulah Hill works but that's rubbish. They only affect buses for a little while. And certainly not as far back as Holborn!

Can I encourage X68-ers to complain to TfL, stressing how valuable you find the service? If they have complaints they will take it up with the company. I may be wrong, but I believe that Go Ahead or whoever it is is contracted to supply this service. I'm not sure if they can unilaterally start removing buses from the timetable. So if we complain that buses are not being run then TfL should investigate.

X68-ers need to do this everytime there is a problem - which is a bit of a pain, but far less of a pain than the service being so appalling but TfL not having the evidence to look at this.

You can click here for the form.

Edited by whydelilah, 18 January 2011 - 10:32 AM.

#41 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

Certainly in the mornings the roadworks at the junction of Grange Road and Beulah Hill have caused significant delays, with the traffic sometimes queuing all the way down South Norwood Hill to the junction with Whitehorse Lane. This makes most services a good 10-15 mins late and means it is a lottery for anyone getting on at stops after the Harvester. The roadworks between Tulse Hill and Brixton also don't help.

Only used the evening service twice last week, but both journeys were on time.

#42 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

I've complained twice about the x68 not running on Christmas Eve (it was a normal working day for me and not a bank holiday last time I checked!) and had no response - my second complaint was to complain about the lack of response to my complaint!

I have the reference number so next time I'll ring and speak to someone instead. TfL were, admittedly, very responsive when I've complained about the x68 in the past.

#43 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:24 AM

Shortly due to travel into Victoria - does anyone know if trains are getting through yet aftet the earlier fatality at Clapham Junction?

#44 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

Had massive travel problems this afternoon. Got barged past by a really irritated woman at the gates of gipsy hill station. Her train had been cancelled too. Didn't even apologise as she did so .............could have blown me down with a feather........ It was none other than our very own summit lover.! Who by the way is now off my Christmas card list for sure !

#45 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

Go for her ankle next time, SLR.