Photo

Crystal Palace Tandoori

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Crystal Palace Tandoori (17 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (15 votes [88.24%])

Percentage of vote: 88.24%

2. Good (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

3. Average (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Crystal Palace Tandoori
24 Westow Hill, Crystal Palace, London SE19 1RX
Open Tuesday to Sunday 12pm-2.30pm, 6pm-11pm
Open Monday 6pm-11pm

Phone: 0871 811 1429

#2 jenna

jenna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:06 PM

We visited on the opening night when en route to Numidie - just spotted it and thought we'd give it a go (the other half was tempted by the "9.95 5 course banquet" on Thursdays (it was a Thursday)). The owner was obviously very pleased to see us and service was generally good bar a couple of teething problems (wrong bill initially, had to ask for water twice). They hadn't got the banquet on yet, but we were told to order anything apart from prawns or fish and we'd get it for the 9.95 price - cue an order of chicken tikka massala, a great spiced fried lamb dish, tarka daal and spinach. All very tasty - CTM is a favourite of the boy's and he judged it a good version.

Overall it doesn't do anything fantastically innovative but we had a good feed for a reasonable price and will no doubt return to check out the banquet properly.

#3 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

Thanks, Summit Lover.

I wanted to say - the chicken here is free range! And as far as I can tell, it hasn't increased the prices compared to anyone else's battery offering either so you've no excuse.

We had a take-away (collected) last week. It was really nice. I nearly had to cancel my order after they fed me all the popps and chutneys in the world while I waited then they put a pot of each of them in the bag at no charge, added more popps, still no charge. And a salad. I haven't seen that done for a while. We didn't finish it all.

I won't go on about what we had because it's each to his own on a curry menu, I think, but it was very good.

They were really nice too. Completely new management from Viva Goa but I saw some of the same waiting staff.

Hope it does well.

#4 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

We had a take away from here last Saturday and I just had to say how impressed we were. Both of our curries were outstanding and even though I only ordered two poppadums and a mango chutney we ended up with four different "dips", four poppadums and a lovely onion salad (not the scrotty ones you used to get in plastic bags either!).

Would highly recommend and will use as often as the waistline permits (sorry Shelina, I just fancy a change!).

Edited by Liz29, 05 March 2010 - 05:05 PM.

#5 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

I wasn't too impressed when I went in, but I guess they may still be at the teething problems stage with service coming across as slightly disorganised. Wine didn't have a cooler so we asked for an ice bucket, and got a bucket with no ice in, which was pointless. We waited ages for our main course and then when it turned up, 2 out of 3 dishes were very good and one was unusually bland for its type. So it was all rather hit and miss but I guess it's early days. Hopefully they'll get more consistent, because some of the food was pretty good.

Edited by elleme, 10 March 2010 - 10:35 AM.

#6 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

I tried their takeaway service this week - have to say the service was great and the food nice and different from the usual curries you get. I'm an avid fan of Ghurkha Cottage for their Nepalese dishes so now having Bangladeshi orientated restaurant/dishes is nice to swap between the two.
Very exciting menu and its good to see them have some midweek offers - always a great idea to get the weak-willed curry eaters into having a naughty curry :)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

I dont need a gimmick to have a mid week curry !

In fact i wouldnt use the word naughty I prefer the word necessity !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#8 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

I'm with Dazza... *Every* night is a potential curry night! I'm really interested in trying this place out. The missus could do with some cheering up, so a midweek ruby may be just the ticket! Possibly at the CP Tandoori (but I must say Palace Spice is a mighty mighty adversary up the road).
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#9 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

I'm with Dazza... *Every* night is a potential curry night! I'm really interested in trying this place out. The missus could do with some cheering up, so a midweek ruby may be just the ticket! Possibly at the CP Tandoori (but I must say Palace Spice is a mighty mighty adversary up the road).

Tired of curry, tired of life that's what I say.
I have to say not sure it's a wise business move to open a Tandoori restaurant when you have the long-established Palace Spice cutting the mustard so to speak a few doors down.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#10 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

Ah, but apparently it is often quite a successful formula to have slightly similar, almost-but-not-quite competing restos near each other as it acts as a magnet for customers.

Effisio once mentioned how he and the owner of A Torre get together for coffee in the afternoons now and then... I can see that it works for those two places to be side by side, maybe for two good curry houses as well.

#11 Plantpot

Plantpot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

We went on Saturday night and thought it was great. Food was really good quality, nicely served and plentiful. My wife is Pakistani and likes her spicey food cooked well - she wasn't disappointed. Fish masala special was splendid. We will definately be going back there.

#12 lisab

lisab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:08 PM

We've been to Crystal Palace Tandoori twice now. Both times, the curries have been outstanding. The Bangladeshi dishes are really good, the home made pickles and chutneys that come with the popadoms are also excellent. The staff are really friendly and are always looking for ways to improve. We will definitely go back again soon and often.

#13 GoingSouth

GoingSouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:25 PM

I've eaten here three times now and each time found the curries to be excellent and the service to be friendly and very attentive. The lamb shatkora (a curry cooked with a Bangladeshi citrus fruit) is my favourite and the Crystal Palace Tandoori does this better than any other Indian restaurant I've visited; spicy without being overpowering such that you can't taste the flavours. The restaurant has an upmarket feel but the prices are very reasonable. Also, they do cheese naan which is always a plus as far as I'm concerned.

#14 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:01 PM

I've never had cheese naan, sounds lush.

#15 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

Another thumbs-up based on last night. We ate in this time. They have a "10 five-course banquet" thing going on at the mo. We did think twice about this and, as feared, ended up with too much food but it was very, very tasty. We didn't even order all of our allowance and still had more than we needed.

One 'course' is your carb of choice so it's not all huge course after huge course and one course would have been tea/coffee but we didn't get that far.

You have to add on 2 if you want fish at any point, which I did for my starter.

Perhaps a lower-priced banquet of fewer courses might be an option to put on the list. It was still a reduced price against ordering a few of the things individually, though. And perhaps change 'course' to 'item' because some of the options are not courses on their own, as above.

And I'll say it again - free-range chicken.