• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

Now, as residents of London we pay a levy towards the cost of the Games via Council Tax. What benefit do we get from this at all? I've had a bit of a google to see if as we are paying for it, we may get free/subsidised tickets but i cant see anything. If not, does anyone think this is unfair? Perhaps our Olympics Minister and VN member could let me know.

Whilst on the subject, it appears that our Olympics Minister has rebuffed the idea of the Olympic Stadium being used for football, as we committed to providing a legacy to provide a 'Grand Prix' 25k seat Athletics stadium. Apparently we 'promised' this to the IOC and played a big part in us being awarded the games. Firstly, what what the IOC do post 2012 when we announced that the OS would be used for football? Retrospectively take the games away from us? and secondly don't we already have a 'Grand Prix' athletics stadium in the constituency next door to Dulwich and West Norwood? With a bit of investment and TLC you could have a cracking stadium.

In my opinion i think it's a bit short sighted to dismiss the idea of having those nasty football types move into the site. Who or what entity , apart from a football club could afford the freehold or rent costs for that stadium which under the 'legacy' would get used a handful of times a year. How many 'grand prix' events are there a year anyway? White and Elephant spring to mind.

Hopefully, there'll be a change of government come May so these comments will be irrelevant.

#2 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:20 AM

Seems barking that all residents of London has to pay for the olympics what if sport is not your bag ?

I remember an elderly couple last year deducted the Olympic charge from their council tax & argued that they would be dead or in a care home unable to benefit from the olympics when it arrived. Council threatened them with Prison !

I make them exactly right. Heaven forbids if we decide to go to the moon or mars makes you wonder how they would raise the funds for that.
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#3 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for 'replying' Tessa

I found my answer this morning on BBC Breakfast though. Londoners will not get preferential treatment on pricing of tickets or even getting tickets themselves. According to EU law i have as much chance of getting a ticket as a Latvian. This is a disgrace. How can you justify that?

Still at least i can take solace in the fact that you wont be in government by then and the OS will not become the white elephant you propose and given to the more viable option of being a football stadium.

Legacy, schmegacy.

#4 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:34 PM

As ever, we're just going to have to be quick off the mark to get tickets. I'm personally interested in the basketball, athletics, shooting and possibly the rowing... And I'm determined to get to see some of each event.

As for the stadium, I'm a massive fan of athletics and think it's about time we have a stadium capable of hosting top class meetings on the new diamond league circuit. As much as I love the stadium in the park, it's just not got the facilities or size for top level meets. My parents met through athletics and they used to train on the cinder track at Crystal Palace, so the sport is very close to my heart. I even have pictures of Cram, Coe and Ovett, and Daley Thompson in my loo!! Coe's not being inconsistent when he says it will be an athletics stadium, he's said that from the first moment he's been involved. Don't see any reason to change that - and I say that as an armchair West Ham fan (I'm actually a Dartford terrace fan).
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#5 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

Ah the Olympics, how wonderful have they been for Crystal Palace...

- we will lose any events of international interest from our athletics stadium in the Park...

- despite our great sporting heritage here we are not given even an egg and spoon race from the corporate jamboree that brings so much money to so few...

- and the KICC take the money that the LDA have given them in compensation for taking their church site for the Olympics and use part of it to buy up our only community facility, without planning permission, where we would have had a cinema coming into operation by now.

Olympics, Crossrail, the Lea Valley levy - whole thing is absolutely rubbish.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#6 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

Never a truer word said Andreas,Crystal Palace has been right royally scr...d as the saying goes. Apologies to those of a sensative disposition.
And on that note what has Boris done for London since he was elected apart from cancel Cross River Tram , The Croydon tram extention....... Sweet Fanny Adams.

#7 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

Yes a shame there is loads of space to develop cp stadium to make a 'legacy'. Picketts lock was also a missed oppo. But athletics will never be a major sport to warrant a large stadium in this country let's face it.

Love the parents story though elmo :) closet west ham eh? Surely you must agree its a no brainer they should move there. Personally I'd like tickets for cycling seeing as you mention your prefs

#8 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:19 AM

Saw the local news yesterday to see someone from the Olympic committeee highlighting how londoners who have paid for these games will not benefit from our generosity ( even though if we refused to pay we would have been sent to jail) & that their hands are tied by Law that we will not get concessions to see the main events cos these ticket are reserved for commercial sponsors & vips .

Although we may be able to see some of the lesser known sports if sales are not very good.

Tottally stinks if you ask me !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#9 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:56 AM

But athletics will never be a major sport to warrant a large stadium in this country let's face it.

Used to be. The post-war period right up until the 90s was a real golden age of athletics. Team meets, county meets, international meets - it was really big.

Love the parents story though elmo :) closet west ham eh? Surely you must agree its a no brainer they should move there. Personally I'd like tickets for cycling seeing as you mention your prefs

My parents were the first to use the pool as well - just after a training session in the early 60s. I'm an armchair West Ham fan rather than closet..! But at least you can go and see Dartford for a tenner, and feel more part of the action than at a massive stadium. I was born there too, so I'm supporting the local team. Only got into the hammers after my friends at school, it was the mid-80s and they were flying high with Devonshire, Cottee, Gale, Parris, Parkes etc.

It's not a no-brainer though. If they want to move there, they'll have to put up with the inconvenience. Football has got loads of money that they seem content on spending on underperforming players. Don't see why a minor sport should bail them out with a stadium.

Follow me on Twitter

#10 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

Register your interest in London 2012 tickets now:
https://www.tickets.london2012.com

:)

Edited by Elmo, 22 March 2010 - 02:03 PM.
spelling

Follow me on Twitter

#11 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

Ooh, interesting. Thanks. Registered.

#12 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

Has anyone applied for any tickets, and if so, which?
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#13 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

First day of the athletics. I wanted to see the synchronised swimming, but my boyfriend refused to accompany me :lol:

#14 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

That's not fair Gill! :lol:

We went for Opening and Closing ceremonies only in the end. I am a massive athletics fan, but to be honest, would rather watch that at home so I don't miss anything :ph34r:
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#15 LondonPooley

LondonPooley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:26 PM

Gill - I also wanted to see the synchronised swimming and was met with a flat refusal. We should have discussed this!!!