58 replies to this topic

#16 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:13 PM

Damn! I actually had tickets for the duos and swapped them! :rolleyes:

:ph34r: Confession time: synchro was my sport when I was 12/13 and I was trained by the Olympic champion of that year!

#17 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

Interesting article on the BBC - The great Olympic personal risk bubble

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-13206286

#18 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:53 PM

just a quick question - how do you know that you actually have the tickets? I have put in my requests on the ticket application site, however, as far as I know I will only know in June if the application was successfull?

..palacegirl
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#19 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

It sounds like you'll get billed between now and early June but will only find out what you've paid for by 24 June (according to the BBC).

#20 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

What are we getting out of it

Without getting into a bah-humbug type of discussion I think the main lasting benefit to Londoners is the infrastucture development, but London also picks up significant income from tourism. You might wonder why you aren't getting free tickets but you won't have the travel and accommodation expenses that non-Londoners will be contributing to London's coffers. I don't think it is any coincidence that the cost of a travelcard is now so ridiculously expensive. But that is in relative terms since there will be so many tourists coming to the UK with fantastic rates of exchange.

In March I was in Australia and one of our day tours did a stop over at the Sydney Olympic site (for the loos)... the guide said the facilities were now seldom used but the olympic village had become a desirable place for house buyers. So I guess it takes 10+ years before you start to see the longer term benefits. However he also mentioned the legacy of toxic waste that was left in situ because it was easier than a proper clean up, so things weren't perfect. The Aussie Dollar is on a 29 year high against the US Dollar due to the strength of their economy so expect to see them over here spending money like it is going out of fashion. If only our transport was as cheap as theirs... a 1.5hr train journey return ticket cost about the same as a can of coke, and most city centres had free trams and buses.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#21 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

James

I cant buy that. WE shouldnt have to pay MORE for our 'infrastructure development' Londoners arent the only users of our transport. If you want to talk transport what REALLY have we got? Jubilee line already in place, no new roads, DLR already there, central line already there, Stratford International (train line already there) etc etc.

I wasnt asking for freebies, just maybe a discount as we'd paid for it. What benefit will Mr & Mrs Arbuthnot from Sutton get from this all? Nada, thats what.

I've been to the Sydney site (Homebush?) and is MILES from Sydney and not comparable....plus Australia doesnt really have a transport infrastructure after roads IMO

I do realise that you're not just talking about transport but still. I really cant see any further benefit.

Massive bugbear of mine. We stump up up front, we should still get at least jump the queue for tickets, which I think I alluded to in my first post. Not fair that we dont even get that let alone paying the full whack for tickets

Edited by St. Lukes Railings, 27 April 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#22 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:47 PM

I wasnt asking for freebies, just maybe a discount as we'd paid for it. What benefit will Mr & Mrs Arbuthnot from Sutton get from this all? Nada, thats what.

I'm with SLR on this... I could go on at length about this genuflection before what is essentially a huge commercial enterprise (but this is not the Royal Wedding thread) ...

At least we get the Brazilian team training here, unlike the Arbuthnots in Sutton.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#23 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

[Australia]... most city centres had free trams and buses.

Why can't our monsterous zepplin of self-confidencedeliver something like that for London? I might take him slightly more seriously if that happened...

#24 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

Ah so Ken is responsible for Crossrail - remember you read it in the Grauniad first.

#25 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:15 PM

I do realise that you're not just talking about transport but still. I really cant see any further benefit.

Personally I don't get the idea of 'rejuvenation' for the Olympics when in practice it meant that places like CP (which really do need the funding to rejuvenate) miss out because they aren't going to be big and shiny. I also think the whole idea of continuously moving it around to new countries is daft... why don't they settle on three or four locations and take it in turns instead of building absolutely everything from scratch every four years. It's very disruptive and I don't buy the 'green credentials' they are claiming.

I politely disagree with you regarding the Australian transport system - as a tourist it made plenty of sense to me (I did my share of boat, rail, metro, tram, car and air) and I really liked the idea of Melbourne where elderly volunteers are dotted around the place in smart uniforms, ready to walk up to tourists and ask them if they needed assistance. They even have a recyclable bin placed next to a regular bin... how hard can that be to replicate?

However I do agree with you on most things and don't think Londoners should really have been asked to make a contribution over and above the national funding provided but if anyone is going to benefit on a local level I'm sure it will be London far more than anywhere else. I'm doing my bit to help (Norwood) by working with FOWNC to attract some of those tourists to visit West Norwood Cemetery. We can moan all we like but if we face reality there are opportunities here, besides the kudos of an international event, and it would be silly just to get po faced about it.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#26 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

Looks like we didn't get billed, so no tickets for us. How did everyone else get on?
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#27 Redbunny23

Redbunny23

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

Nothing for us either. What a rubbish system!

#28 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

Nor me. :(

#29 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

How about the older generation who had to pay & may not even be around to even witness the Olympics ? Winning the olympic bid was def a coo but as Londoners we paid for the olympics & i feel we should at least had got 1st dibs for the tickets!

I was amazed to hear them arguing what to do with the profits well it should be re-invested in London for Londoners as far as i am concerned it just interest on our invstment.

Its like being mugged but on a grand scale !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#30 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

Can't disagree with you there Dazza. I dont know anyone who got any tickets.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage