• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

Could any graphic designer tell me if there is such a thing as a directory of design agencies? As a freelance copy editor/sub-editor/proofreader, I make new contacts through the two bibles of the publishing industry: The APA (Association of Publishing Agencies) Handbook and The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook. I'd like to buy or find online the equivalent for the design industry, but am at a loss, despite an extensive net search.

I'm (self-)employed by day as a magazine sub-editor, mainly at The Times, though I've worked on 50 or so other titles to date, plus six books, several websites and a plethora of marketing materials for a couple of agencies. In short, that means I do the 'invisible mending' on a writer's copy, pruning it to fit the space available but retaining the story, sense and style; polishing it grammatically; ensuring it's factually accurate so no one will sue; and writing the witty, pun-tastic headlines, captions and other 'page furniture' that makes the reader want to read on. I'd like to do more work from home, and short projects, such as knocking into shape the copy for brochures, pitches, packaging and the like, could be turned around promptly alongside my day job. If anyone could point me in the direction of a source of new opportunities, that'd be great.

#2 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:52 AM

Dear Gill
I'm not sure if theres a directory of design agencies fully but in Design Week they do have a Top 100 of agencies etc available.
I hope that helps... a little
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#3 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:07 PM

Oh, it does... a lot! That's a great place to start, Jane - thanks!

#4 sydenhamcentral

sydenhamcentral

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

This is what you want Gill:

http://www.newdesign...me/Default.aspx

Target companies in annual reports, print, web, not packaging as they rarely use proofreaders.

Good luck.

#5 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

That is fantastic, sydenhamcentral! Thanks ever so :) I rang Design Week this morning and this year's Top 100 agencies supplement will be published at the end of March, so I'll make a point of buying that issue too.

#6 jonh

jonh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

You could also try the Design Business Association's 'Find a Designer' search - http://www.dba.org.u...ctory/logon.asp

#7 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

Thanks, jonh - all grist to the mill!