#1 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hi there
I just thought I would pass on to you all a real find in our own Crystal Palace re getting fit while having a real giggle. I keep reading about all these military bootcamps and I know some people love them, but the thought of them scares me to death - and there is an alternative!!

I've been doing outdoor bootcamps now with Miracle Fitness for about 10 months and they work. I joined a gym about two years ago but it was a miserable experience. I was a bit worried about doing a bootcamp though, I'm very unsporty and not remotely competitive but the group is mixed ability. You work harder without even realising it.

I'm now well into losing a second stone, having lost around 18lbs now just by keeping up the bootcamps although I'm sure the results would be even more dramatic if I was much more disciplined with food and drink!

The bootcamps are in various locations, I go to the one in Crystal Palace Park. It involves running, resistance work and various activities such as skipping etc. It is not 'military' in the slightest - it is much more 'fun sports day' style bootcamp where you don't take yourself too seriously but you DO work hard. The sessions are taken by Fernando who is a real character, understands your fitness levels and pushes you hard enough for results but not so hard you want to kill him (or yourself)! He also remembers everyone's name - you are not just a number.

Well I post this because last night I embarked on a bit of a challenge. Bootcamps don't take place every week - they run in courses of 3 weeks at a time and you get 3 weeks off. During the 3 weeks off Fernando asked if any of his regulars would be interested in something different. I went last night (with Gekko) with an open mind, thinking it might be a salsa dancing class!!!??? Anyway by the end of an exhausting but strangely enjoyable very long run around the streets of Crystal Palace at a steady pace - I found out today I ran 10k last night. It was knackering but it wasn't impossible! Hurrah!
http://www.miraclefitness.co.uk/
  • Palacegirl likes this

#2 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

Is it every day for three weeks and then three weeks off? Or every weekend or just as often as you can?
And how much does it cost approximately?
I do quite a bit of Yoga, but would be interested by something like this too.
Are you coming to the LWS on Friday? We could chat then if you prefer.
Cheers
missP

#3 chrissyb

chrissyb

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

Hello MissPoddy yes I'll be there on Friday!
It's Monday/Wednesday evening 7pm and Saturday (sometimes Sunday too) at 9am for three weeks in a row.
Then you get three weeks off.
Most people miss one or two of those sessions and it is still pretty cost effective when you consider the cost of personal training. There are around 30 ish people at each session, but everyone gets attention believe me!! Pricewise it varies. There are different deals available so it's best contact Fernando through the Miracle Fitness website to get more information.

Edited by gekko, 13 May 2010 - 11:13 AM.

#4 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

I don't do any exercise at all and several people have already recommended this bootcamp too me. But I don't want to lose weight, I need to put some on! Is this course going to be good for me?

#5 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

Hello MissPoddy yes I'll be there on Friday!
It's Monday/Wednesday evening 7pm and Saturday (sometimes Sunday too) at 9am for three weeks in a row.
Then you get three weeks off.
Most people miss one or two of those sessions and it is still pretty cost effective when you consider the cost of personal training. There are around 30 ish people at each session, but everyone gets attention believe me!! Pricewise it varies. There are different deals available so it's best contact Fernando through the Miracle Fitness website to get more information.

Sounds great, but I can't to Wednesdays (I have Yoga Wednesday evening) and I can't do Saturday mornings either... :( So no Bootcamp for misspoddy.....

Edited by gekko, 13 May 2010 - 11:14 AM.

#6 chrissyb

chrissyb

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

Hi Matt
Lots of people go who just want to keep up their fitness levels or improve a bit - I think it is definitely for everyone. I'll speak with Fernando and get him to come on the forum and answer questions!

#7 Too Soon

Too Soon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:43 AM

Hi I obviously have nothing to do but read stuff off virtual norwood. I saw Chrissy B's info/ recommendations on the Miracle Fitness Bootcamps and I also attend these bootcamps. In a nutshell super-fantastic bootcamps. I can't say it enough. But I am not here to promote that. Well I suppose I am because what I want to say is exercising once a week is not enough. I used to be in that same cycle for years and years and admittedly when I first enquired about the Miracle Fitness Bootcamp I tried to wiggle by way into doing only one session a week with the instructor Fernando and he was not having any of it. It was three times, maybe two times a week or nothing. I didn't agree but I signed up to do the three times a week and looking back I am so happy I did. I was hooked from day one. Once a week, who was I kidding. It's more money making on the trainer's part if he/she is only seeing a client once a week. On the bootcamps we have been educated about fitness to such a high standard that we all know that the recommendations are three or more times per week to see results. I have never heard of Taylor but I know a lot of Crystal Palace is on Fernando's bootcamp and a lot people know who he is. In fact Fernando has clients coming all the way from Purley and Beckenham and the other night a woman from Kent has started doing the bootcamp. Can't say anymore except that Chrissy B's post is spot on.

Edited by gekko, 13 May 2010 - 11:17 AM.
Request to remove prices due to changing nature of bootcamp structure and deals over time.

#8 SpeakersCorner

SpeakersCorner

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

I don't do any exercise at all and several people have already recommended this bootcamp too me. But I don't want to lose weight, I need to put some on! Is this course going to be good for me?

Matt, as one of the people who's recommended it to you (they really are brilliant by the way!) I should have added that, while most people have lost it in line with their goal, I've actually put on weight since I've been doing them, but all the right kind. I'm fitter, stronger and even a bit heavier!

Of course, putting on weight requires eating more and eating more of the right stuff, but Fernando's emails (you get lots) give you lots of info on nutrition as well as a thousand and one other topics.

Off and on I've been a gym and class goer for years and I can honestly say that this is the most fun and the most effective fitness thing I've ever done.

Mark

#9 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:10 PM

Cool, I'm convinced. Once I get a real job and get a decent income again, I shall sign up :)

#10 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

I am a bootcamper too..... I love it, well, admittedly sometimes hate it when I get pushed beyond my comfort zone.... but all in a good way - I feel fitter and healthier. I had a few issues with a back injury, however, I feel supported and looked after by Fernando who ensures I don't do anything which could aggravate it.

I find it challenging at times, but it's so much fun that I tend to 'get over it' very quickly.

...palacegirl
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#11 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

When is the next bootcamp? I'm not working at the moment and am bored at home so would love to get out and do some fitness in the park.

#12 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

It started on Monday Gemster so there's still time to join. Otherwise, the next one will start on 2nd April. They mostly run continually now rather than with breaks inbetween as used to happen.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#13 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

Great I'll email Fernando and ask if I can join in this week :D