• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#31 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

Enough of the questions Man Overboard. PLease keep on topic!

Claudia -I'd get some more biscuits in if I was you. :yawn:

it's ok i've cracked open the multipack of twirls
  • RetiredMember2 likes this

#32 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:09 AM

If the forum isn't quite satisfying your intellect at the moment then you could channel some of that energy into the wiki... by writing an informative piece about the street where you live you can help to banish estate-agent-speak for the area where everything is a 5 minute walk from a vibrant cosmopolitan area full of restaurants. See the wiki page for Streets for the index. For bonus points add a photo.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#33 QueensPudding

QueensPudding

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:24 AM

Enough of the questions Man Overboard. PLease keep on topic!

Claudia -I'd get some more biscuits in if I was you. :yawn:

Or bake a cake or two. Then you could write a paper on yummy value. I'd say the value of two cakes is greater than the value of each added together, as then you have a Cake Choice. And if someone can demonstrate this mathematically I shall bake them a cake. But just the one.

Edited by QueensPudding, 06 March 2010 - 06:26 AM.

• charlie and IanW like this

#34 QueensPudding

QueensPudding

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:55 AM

Would Marx have called this the Surplus Value of Cake Labour? :lol:
  • andreas and charlie like this

#35 QueensPudding

QueensPudding

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:16 AM

3+ weeks ago, I was going to start a thread on design guides as part of local planning, and the CP design guide process. But then I couldn't. And now I probably still can't, given that the design guide involves the CoC (the design guide meeting that some on this forum attended at that time) and certainly the P**k i.e. it concerns the entire community and all its resources. So discussion would presumably get shut down. This should be something the community should be seriously involved in. In other places I know, the local design guide has been effectively driven and created by the local community, with well-written questionnaires for example to discover 'design' (in the widest sense) concerns.
  • andreas and charlie like this

#36 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

Personally I think it lost something when the members only aspect came in. But not giving up even though I am in the styx of Sydenham - not even norwood (albeit West) anymore.
Rachel
My link

#37 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

I still want to know why qp was banned please. We need a tad free speech on here or as I said earlier it will be tumbleweedville from now on.
  • Man Overboard likes this

#38 QueensPudding

QueensPudding

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

SLR, I really wouldn't bother with that. Everything has moved on. More important issues to deal with.
  • andreas likes this

#39 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

SLR, I really wouldn't bother with that. Everything has moved on. More important issues to deal with.

You darn right QP, for example what are we gonna do about all that tumblweed blowing through the threads, tis a serious health and safety issue, have you seen how fast it rolls and how big it is? Could knock a slip of a thing like me right off me feet, I feel a personal injury claim in the offing....
  • andreas, charlie and Man Overboard like this

#40 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

Whether two cakes are more valuable than one has been disputed many times by economists. Yes, the flexibility engendered by a Cake Choice would seem to offer value, but others say the Marginal Utility of the 2nd cake is clearly below that of the first cake, and therefore the second cake should be of lesser worth - reducing the average value per cake.

This is illustrated by considering the relative importance of the Cake Choice Choices: A) This cake or That Cake; B) One Cake or No Cake. B) is clearly the more serious situation indicating that the marginal utility of cake is at its greatest at the value: 1 Cake.

I would dispute this however if the Cake in question was a fruit cake, for which my marginal utility is zero. I'm not sure this factor has been emphasised enough in Classical Cake Consumption Theory.

#41 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:40 AM

If the forum isn't quite satisfying your intellect at the moment then you could channel some of that energy into the wiki... by writing an informative piece about the street where you live you can help to banish estate-agent-speak for the area where everything is a 5 minute walk from a vibrant cosmopolitan area full of restaurants. See the wiki page for Streets for the index. For bonus points add a photo.

Charlie has delegated her wiki work to me.

There's quite a bit to complete...
http://wiki.virtualnorwood.com/Streets

So I have been out and about doing some investigations, on site and at the library, starting filling in the blanks at A:

Acorn Gardens - SE19 2DD

This was named in commemoration of the mature oak trees felled to allow the road's development.

Alexandra Walk - SE19 1AL

This is one of two roads in the local area named after Alexandra, the popular landlady of The Gipsy Hill Tavern from 1861 (or 1862) to 1903.

Alma Place - SE19 2TB

Often wrongly supposed to be named after the pub next door, its name actually derives from a corruption of "Old Man Place", where a hermit resided in the early 18th century.

Anerley Hill - SE19 2BA

The municipal flower-bed just south of Crystal Palace Station Road is believed to be the smallest anywhere in LB Bromley.

Anerley Road - SE19 2AY

Often confused with Anerley Hill, this has the most lamp-posts (821) of any street in SE19, as well as the largest number of drains (325).

Anerley Vale - SE19 2BG

This has a number of houses, built on either side of the road.

Antigua Walk - SE19 1JB

This is the best road in the Crystal Palace area, friendly, charming and great value for money.*

* Incidentally I am trying to sell my house here

No photos equals no brownie points Andreas and what do points make Citizen M..?

"Anerley Vale - SE19 2BG

This has a number of houses, built on either side of the road."

Thus making it quite unique in these parts!

QP - you are so perceptive.

Now please keep on topic and enough of the cakes Matt - it's not even 11o'clock!

#42 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

Andreas/Charlie, I can't see your wiki edits online yet but hope you will add them soon. By the way, you suggested writing an entry on a street where you are selling a property. One of my ideas that I never got round to implementing was a "Properties for Sale" wiki page which would automatically embed onto the relevant street page and link to its description. Given VN's excellent search engine positioning and the inclusion of postcodes etc this would may the landing page very attractive for online searches. I used online marketing to help sell my flat so I know it is something that work's nowadays. Maybe Matt could look into developing this further for you (e.g. in wiki speak, set up a new namespace specifically for property). If you are interested I don't mind lending you a spot on my domain http://www.gipsyhill.co.uk/

European.vote - EU Referendum

#43 QueensPudding

QueensPudding

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:41 AM

Matt, you make some excellent points concerning the marginal utility of cake.

However, I fear that Classical Cake Consumption Theory takes no account whatsoever of Cake Creation, in other words the place of cake within the traditional domestic ecosystem.

This is indeed also the problem at the heart of much post-industrial revolution economic thinking. Whether we are classified as passengers, consumers, what you will, we are always empty vessels to be filled by an army of Capitalists, never Makers In Our Own Right!

And without being a Maker In Your Own Right, you will never get to lick the bowl. :lol:

#44 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:29 AM

Matt, you make some excellent points concerning the marginal utility of cake.

However, I fear that Classical Cake Consumption Theory takes no account whatsoever of Cake Creation, in other words the place of cake within the traditional domestic ecosystem.

This is indeed also the problem at the heart of much post-industrial revolution economic thinking. Whether we are classified as passengers, consumers, what you will, we are always empty vessels to be filled by an army of Capitalists, never Makers In Our Own Right!

And without being a Maker In Your Own Right, you will never get to lick the bowl. :lol:

Zzzzzzz.....

#45 QueensPudding

QueensPudding

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

Exactly.