Photo

Rose Villa - Indian Restaurant

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate the Rose Villa?

1. Excellent (3 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Good (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Rose Villa
11 Central Hill, Crystal Palace, London SE19 1BG
Open Monday: Saturday 5pm-11pm
Sunday Buffet: 1pm - 10:30 pm

Phone: 020 8670 6384

Edited by Summit Lover, 07 March 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:57 AM

We ate in Rose Villa for the first time on Friday evening. We were a little wary as it is so newly opened, added to which there are so many good Indian restaurants in the area that this one would need to make quite an impression to tempt us back.

Impressions: Very friendly service, decor light and airy.

Food: Delicious! And I mean really delicious. The menu is fairly standard, with a few interesting sounding additions, but the chef clearly knows what he is doing and then some. We shared some papadoms to start, and then I chose Chicken Ceylon (fiery, creamy and sweet) and R went for Chicken Tandoori (both excellent). We also had v good naan and onion rice, but the best dish of all was the Tarka Dal, which had the lovely, toasted garlic taste that so many dals miss out on.

There is no alcohol licence as yet, but you can either bring your own, or they will nip next door (to the supermarket) and get some for you. The prices are very reasonable - with the 20% discount on offer at the moment our meal came to just over £16 for two (and we had more than enough to eat).

On a slightly negative side, the food did take quite a while to appear, but if you don't mind the wait it is well worth it in the end.

All in all a very welcome addition to the CP eateries - so good that we went back last night too. Everyone has their own ideas on what constitutes a good indian meal, but we would highly recommend trying Rose Villa (especially while the prices are so low!).

Edited by Summit Lover, 07 March 2010 - 11:10 AM.

#3 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

Ok, SL you convinced me. I will try it out later on today and see if you're right... :rolleyes:

#4 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

Just came back and I must say it was the best Indian I had so far in the triangle. Incredibly fresh and yummy food. My husband had King Prawns that were so big they looked like little lobsters. I went for a classic Rogan Josh and it was the best I ever had.
The service was very friendly, but we were the only customers in there, so it felt a bit odd. Sadly they didn't have the 20% off deal anymore, but including a bottle of Cobra (the guy went to buy next door), 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 side dishes and 6 poppodums we payed 37 which seemed pretty fair.
It's also the closest restaurant to my house, so will definitely be back for more!! Meanwhile I can enjoy my doggy-bag of Rogan Josh for lunch tomorrow, as I really couldn't finish it and seeing it go to waste was just unbearable... :rolleyes:

Who would have though that another Indian could be such a great addition to the triangle?!

#5 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:34 PM

Just got back from our first visit to Rose Villa. As already stated, the food is seriously good, prices are very reasonable and service fast - in fact, a bit too quick for me but not surprising as we were the only customers in (surprising even for a wet Saturday evening - although we noticed on the way home that Yak and Yeti were also suffering a lack of customers tonight). I had the chicken shacute (which comes served in a green pepper) and my other half had lamb dupiaza. Our side dish of aubergine stuffed with 3 different lentils would have been a great veggie meal by itself. Both our main courses were delish, as were the crispy onion bhajis we started with. I always say that if the onion bhajis are good the rest of the food will be too, which proved to be the case here.

The waiters are very friendly and expressed sadness that the customers seem to be staying away. A great shame and I hope things pick up for them soon. The chef even took the trouble to come over and asked how we had enjoyed our food - OK, so I guess he wasn't that busy in the kitchen, but it was nice of him. They don't yet have an alcohol licence so the bill was even more of a bargain at under 30 in total for 3 courses plus coffees. And we came home feeling pleasantly stuffed!

Highly recommended :) :)
aka Pie

#6 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

We had another great meal here yesterday evening. I couldn't resist the Chicken Ceylon again (coconut sweet but lovely a hot!), and R had a very good chicken and lentil dish. I hope this place stays open as the food really is excellent - all clearly freshly cooked with fresh spices. On the plus side, there was a large table of twenty somethings there last night which must have been good for the RV coffers.

#7 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

Since my last post here I had two take aways. One was Rogan Josh which is absolutely fabulous and one which were two different dishes with their jumbo king prawns... Well we had them before and as I said they were almost the size of little lobsters, but this time my dissapointement was as big as the prawn was small. I paid almost 8 quid a dish wich was lovely, but had a handful of the tiniest shrimp floating in it. Not happy at all I must say. Fair enough if the run out of the jumbo ones, but don't charge jumbo and serve mini... :angry:

#8 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

We had another great meal here on Saturday evening - truly addicted to the tarka dahl and the chicken ceylon, although I made myself PROMISE to try something different next time. Do give this place a try if you love great Indian food - I have been eating in Indian restaurants in the triangle for well over 20 years, but this place is the tops in my opinion.

#9 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

Lovely. Will definitely try.