Photo

Fresco

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this restaurant?

1. Excellent (7 votes [58.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. Good (5 votes [41.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

3. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:40 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Fresco
64 Westow Hill, Crystal Palace, SE19

Tel: 020 8761 1761
Web: www.fresco.com
Mel, Forum Moderator

#2 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

Popped in to Fresco this evening with my friend. We were very hungry after a long Sunday afternoon stroll. Sorry to say we were the only customers but we thought we'd give the place a try, show them some local support.
I had the Tuscan pizza which was very tasty and too big to finish, hungry as i was. My friend had the lasagne which he said was only okay. Not the most amazing dining experience I've had in Crystal Palace but to the waiter's credit, he brought us a complementary side dish of assorted veggies to pick at whilst we waited for a main course.

The decor's very smart, especially considering the place was just a pizza takeaway before. They're gonna have to raise their game and lower their prices to compete with Lorenzos across the road though... oh and change the music. During the meal they played 'All by myself' and 'I don't like Mondays'. Not good choices for a rainy sunday evening! If I'd been dining solo I might have walked out in front of a passing bus.
Nice food but nothing special, and I imagine they will struggle with Il Ponte virtually nextdoor and Lorenzos across the road. I wish them well and hope some more people give them a try.

#3 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

Just tried Fresco for lunch today and was very impressed. They do 2 courses for 5.95+ with a choice today of leek and potato soup (very hearty) or a generous mixed leaf salad. We both then pasta dishes which were well cooked and again, generously sized. A good bargain at under 10 including a glass of wine each. The decor is modern and fresh and the waitress was lovely! A shame there were only 5 customers in while we were there, but as bawheid says there's a lot of competition nearby.
aka Pie

#4 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

Just tried Fresco for lunch today and was very impressed. They do 2 courses for 5.95+ with a choice today of leek and potato soup (very hearty) or a generous mixed leaf salad. We both then pasta dishes which were well cooked and again, generously sized. A good bargain at under 10 including a glass of wine each. The decor is modern and fresh and the waitress was lovely! A shame there were only 5 customers in while we were there, but as bawheid says there's a lot of competition nearby.

I know this is not really a restaurant issue, but they took an hour and a half to deliver a pizza on Sunday. I know we are now in the Styx of Sydenham but... I suspect they just couldn't find us, but they fibbed about this, as when we phoned they said it had just been sent out and was coming in 10 minutes: it was stone cold when it arrived. Too cross and tired to complain.

Will have to get on a bus and try their in house thing, when we are not so tired that we can't even be bothered to heat a can of beans! I do like their pizzas.
Rachel
My link

#5 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

They don't promote the takeaway pizza bit at the moment, do they? I think they always did good pizza too. Haven't tried any since the revamp.

We went to try out the reastaurant side of things last weekend. Both had a decent pasta dish. Mine reminded me of holiday hotel food.

The waiter was nice. Too nice for his own good with a glass of wine being practically half a bottle. Oddly, I didn't complain.

We were one of three occupied tables, one of which the waiter (owner?) pinched from under next door's nose as they were reading the Ponte Nuovo menu! I thought I was on Brick Lane for a second.

#6 Muffy

Muffy

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

I tried this new place recently and was impressed.
Nice service and very large portions.
Also prices very reasonable.
Had the most delicious asparagus soup.
The wine was also good and very cheap.
Recommended.
:D

#7 radiostar

radiostar

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:12 PM

Tried Fresco earlier this evening, making use of the recently distributed '2 for 1 on any pizza or pasta' leaflet offer. Was very impressed and would certainly visit again. The place is very pleasant, nicely designed and decorated. Clearly a lot of thought and effort has gone into it. Big comfy armchairs is a nice touch and quite unusual in a restaurant. I've walked past Fresco often since it opened and always beens surprised at how empty it has been, and this is a shame. For most of our time there we (two of us) were the only customers. Three people arrived later. Lots of people walked past and checked out the menu but didn't come in.

We ordered the Tuscan pizza and Spaghetti con Scampi, both of which were absolutely delicious. The pizza was a thin base, and was not too heavy or 'doughy'. Just right, I'd say. Fresco offer a home delivery/take away service and surprisingly a much wider range of pizzas than they make available in the restaurant. Might be a good idea to make the same pizza range available in the restaurant.

It's a shame Fresco is right next door to Il Ponte Nuevo and so near to Lorenzo's and the pizza place opposite as it has to compete within a small area. Having tried all of those other places over the years I can say that in my opinion Fresco's is superior (even KFC is superior to Lorenzo's). Times are tough and probably will get tougher. I hope Fresco makes it through and I recommend it as a good local restaurant worth visiting.

#8 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

(even KFC is superior to Lorenzo's).

What's with the gratuitous - never mind totally mad - insult? :angry:
Puts me off Fresco!

#9 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

Have to agree. I don't understand.

I like Fresco, I like Lorenzo's ("but which is better?" - joke). I don't understand how either could be negatively compared to KFC.

#10 LondonPooley

LondonPooley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

We tried Fresco for the first time last night and were very impressed. The food was excellent and the service was friendly. We will definitely go there again.

#11 domwah

domwah

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

Ordered last night, it came piping hot and very quickly. Cheaper than Dominoes, tasty and quick! What more do you need. My wife is happy too, because I'm crabby when hungry and so Fresco helped that for her too!! votes for one.

#12 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

Went in here last night to show them support as, well, there's hardly ever anyone in there. Personally, I found the service far better than Lorenzo's (always too crazy in there) and far more comfortable. And the food was a step up from Ponte Nuovo next door. Lovely house wine too. Recommended if you want a more relaxed culinary experience than the other two I've mentioned.

#13 Chris73

Chris73

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

Went there for lunch yesterday and had the two course lunch deal. Very nice, good service and excellent value but such a shame we were the only two in there.

Mind you all the other eateries around the triangle didn't exactly look full either.

Edited by Chris73, 10 February 2011 - 07:08 PM.

#14 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:35 AM

I don't often order takeaways but I was feeling under the weather on Sunday so decided to send out for pizza rather than cook. We ordered the caramelised pear and gorgonzola pizza and it was very tasty indeed. I'm quite fussy about takeaways and Dominos just makes me feel ill afterwards so well done to Fresco for delivering the goods. The order arrived within half an hour and was hot. Great service - would definitely use again.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#15 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:50 PM

Good to hear that they are still doing takeaways since they became a restaurant.
I used to get my pizzas from there and agree about Dominos, they also don't do very good deals on one large pizza when pizza fresco did.
Only recently found out that Lorenzos also do takeaways.
Seems like all is not now lost on the takeaway pizza front.