• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 penge

penge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

Am seeking some early images and further local information on the history of the Victorian development of Thicket Road, Penge in the 1860's, along the southern periphery of Crystal Palace.

Does anyone know where I might find further details and local information, particularly any early images, photos, postcards, engravings (if they exist) from the 1860's or 1870's.

And does anyone know how the Road developed, in terms of the initial development and numbering etc....I have heard that the road numbering is somewhat different now from when the first houses were built....

I am particularly interested in the earliest built houses in Thicket Road...

Any local help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

"penge"

#2 kinchyuk

kinchyuk

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

There's a little bit of info on the Virtual Norwood Wiki that might interest you:

"A map produced in 1862' shows the road was then known as Thick Wood Road and there were no buildings along the entire length."

Curiously enough the Great Exhibition was moved from Hyde Park to what is now Crystal Palace Park in 1854. If that's the case, and going by what the wiki says about housing, what I'd heard about the houses being built at the time of the exhibitions relocation could be wrong..

As for other sources of information, depending on how much spare time you have.. an afternoon or a day down the local studies library at Bromley Central Library can be quite interesting :)

Edited by kinchyuk, 06 April 2010 - 03:50 PM.

#3 bebofpenge

bebofpenge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

The 1862 map is Sandon's map and is available at
http://www.mappalond.../map-london.htm

There is an 1885 Ordnance Survey map that was prepared for the Parliamentary Library following the Great Reform Act. By that time the name had changed to Thicket Road and houses are marked on the map along the whole length of the road.

#4 James1980

James1980

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

I live on Thicket Road and was surprised at the amount of information on my flat and it's history through the various census websites.

It may give clues as to number changes as buildings were added over time but you'd have to go through a fair few records I expect?

I checked the 1891 and 1901 records and assuming my building still has the same number (I can't recall exactly where I read it but I think it said all houses had been built on Thicket Rd by that time), it housed a family of 5 and 2 domestic staff, and was a 12 room house (excluding bathrooms).

Don't wish to derail your post, but in browsing the old addresses the census list does refer to "Thicket Wood Chambers" as an address with multiple buildings somewhere along Thicket Road. A google search reveals it last mentioned as an address of a soldier from WW1 in a remembrance article. Not sure if anyone has ever heard of this location or where it would have been?...

#5 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:16 AM

Thicket Wood Chambers was in Thicket Grove, now a pale shadow of its former self which ran off Anerley Road into the area now occupied by the middle of the present Orchard Grove, where I suspect Thicket Wood Chambers was situated. TWC is last listed in the electoral roll of 1967, though Orchard Grove doesn't appear until 1990.

Every now and then when my brain stops hurting from the last time I tried, I attempt to work out the naming/numbering changes of houses in Thicket Road in answer to the original post and an earlier one. I think I've almost got there. Keep watching this space but don't hold your breath.