• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Denny

Denny

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:53 AM

Does anyone know of any dressmakers who can copy clothes? I have a favourite skirt that I'd love in different colours, and I know some people are clever enough to copy clothes exactly - I just don't know how to find them!

D

#2 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

You could try the fantastic bespoke dress designer Caite Shaw at Allbone and Trimit. Not sure whether it would be her thing though.

#3 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

I need a similar thing done.

I was going to ask in Silk Route because they organise repairs so must have access to a sewing machine.

#4 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

I've made enquiries about dressmaking locally and found that it's actually much more expensive than I expected. Don't know why i was surprised, it's obviously a hard-earned skill and this isn't the 1890s (or Malaysia), but it was enough to make me rethink quick sticks.

#5 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

ask @ Vien in Church Road. She has got a dress maker who made (ehhhmmm) a bigger copy of a dress she had in her shop - it turned out BRILLIANTLY and was extremely resonable.
Tell her Petra sent you.

Cheers

....palacegirl
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#6 Denny

Denny

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

Thanks loads for all of your suggestions, I'll definately follow them up! I'll report back too in case others are interested.

D

#7 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

Yes, let us know how you get on Denny. I dream of having a dress where the waistband doesn't sit on my ribcage, Grayson Perry style...

Edited by Nanazola, 08 April 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#8 Denny

Denny

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:37 PM

Hi, just a quick update on the dressmaking front! I popped into Vien today (I've never actually been in there before, its got some fab stuff!). Anyway, the lady in the shop said that her tailor does copy clothes (and make them too I'm assuming!) and she said he's brilliant.

Only thing is he's not well right now and is in hospital. I didn't ask any details but she's certain he'll be back to work soon so she suggested I pop in in a couple of weeks. I'm not in a huge hurry so think I will hang on until he's back as it sounds like he could be what I'm looking for!

D

#9 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hi, just a quick update on the dressmaking front! I popped into Vien today (I've never actually been in there before, its got some fab stuff!). Anyway, the lady in the shop said that her tailor does copy clothes (and make them too I'm assuming!) and she said he's brilliant.

Only thing is he's not well right now and is in hospital. I didn't ask any details but she's certain he'll be back to work soon so she suggested I pop in in a couple of weeks. I'm not in a huge hurry so think I will hang on until he's back as it sounds like he could be what I'm looking for!

D

fab - I thought she would be able to help. They have done a great job for me in the past!

...palacegirl
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....