• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

Hi there

I have to have some official German papers and wage slips translated for a mortgage application, does anyone know a cheap agency around? It needs to be the proper stuff, certified, with stamp, the lot. I have been quoted 60 + VAT for a simple letter not longer than an A4 page, I thought there might be a cheaper option. Any ideas?

Cheers
misspoddy

#2 Janee

Janee

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

Hi there

I have to have some official German papers and wage slips translated for a mortgage application, does anyone know a cheap agency around? It needs to be the proper stuff, certified, with stamp, the lot. I have been quoted 60 + VAT for a simple letter not longer than an A4 page, I thought there might be a cheaper option. Any ideas?

Cheers
misspoddy

Hi there Miss Poddy

My daughter has been a German translator for 10 years. I could ask her if she knows what the going rate would be, if that's a help?

Janee (my first post, eek! :unsure: )

#3 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

Welcome, Janee! We're very nice!

#4 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hi there Miss Poddy

My daughter has been a German translator for 10 years. I could ask her if she knows what the going rate would be, if that's a help?

Janee (my first post, eek! :unsure: )

Thanks Janee, that would be great. Turns out the lender seems to have a fund for these sort of translations, but I don't know if they organise it or if we have to pay upfront etc, so would definitely be good to know.
The problem with this translation is that it needs to be certified... very silly if you ask me, but well, nobody does :rolleyes:

#5 Janee

Janee

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

Thanks Janee, that would be great. Turns out the lender seems to have a fund for these sort of translations, but I don't know if they organise it or if we have to pay upfront etc, so would definitely be good to know.
The problem with this translation is that it needs to be certified... very silly if you ask me, but well, nobody does :rolleyes:

So sorry I haven't got back to you, have been in Sweden at our son's wedding.
Thanks for the welcome (love your av Spoon :) )
Will pass on the above to my daughter, she has just moved to S.Norwood area and the reason I have been lurking on here in the first place! So will have to tell her to join the forum herself :D
She has just gone freelance, not sure about the certification bit.

#6 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

Ah, bless you, Janee. I can also do the German to English bit with no prob but I'm not certificated either beyond my degree.

Norwood is lovely. Hope you enjoy.

p.s. Thanks for the thumbs up for Paolo. He's not very well and currently crashed out on an armchair so he'll love the support. x

#7 alywin

alywin

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:16 PM

I have to have some official German papers and wage slips translated for a mortgage application, does anyone know a cheap agency around? It needs to be the proper stuff, certified, with stamp, the lot. I have been quoted £60 + VAT for a simple letter not longer than an A4 page, I thought there might be a cheaper option. Any ideas?

Hello. I hope you don't mind me bumping this old thread, but as a translator myself it caught my eye, and I thought I'd make some comments in case they prove useful to someone else in the future.

Firstly, as a general rule it tends to be cheaper to use an individual freelance translator than to go through an agency (and you might not have to pay VAT, because most of us don't make enough to need to register). Rates vary, but I wouldn't be surprised if you were charged £60-75 per thousand words (pro rata), or maybe a minimum charge of £25-30 if the job is very short. There's not really any such thing as a "certified" translator in the UK, but if you choose someone who's a full member of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (which I'm not), they can buy packs of seals which they can use to officially certify the translation - expect to pay a bit extra for this. Other alternatives which might work are to swear the translation in front of a solicitor, which doesn't cost very much, or before a Notary Public, which does! The ITI does provide a directory of fully-qualified Members at http://www.iti.org.uk/indexMain.html (link in the left-hand column), and it used to allow you to search by location too, although I'm not sure whether this is still the case.

Hope this is of help to someone.

Edited by alywin, 03 October 2011 - 11:17 PM.