http://www.disused-s...vel/index.shtml

Great photos - thanks Zirconium :)

#3 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

Yes, thanks for posting. The article is compellingly written too - I especially liked this bit!:

"Over the years there have been a number of rumours relating to the High Level station. There is a rumour that in one of the sealed tunnels in the area, an engine or carriage remains hidden collecting dust. Another version of the story, popular amongst local schoolchildren, claims that the High Level station was closed because a commuter train was trapped by a tunnel collapse, entombing the passengers who remain there to this day. These stories are an example of the extraordinary persistence of local urban legend." :o

#4 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

Great link. Such a shame the line closed. Amazing that the steam trains timetabled quicker journey times into Central London. Interesting to see how unpopular the palace was prior to the fire.

#5 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:25 PM

I've read that (or similar?) before and it is wonderful. Thanks. I love old photographs, the detail from a crease in fabric lost a second after the picture was taken to the lampshades on the platforms.

Now that there are houses on the upper level site, is all hope lost? Is our best bet up Anerley Hill the tram?

Times are cyclical. Perhaps some development is short-sighted. We would use the upper level station again now.

#6 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:22 AM

Just brilliant - thank you....

#7 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

Amazing that the steam trains timetabled quicker journey times into Central London.

Pretty normal actually. Most modern services are slower than older steam services because more "buffer" time is allocated in the timetable for delays, etc -- and if you're cynical, you might also think this buffer is added so that more trains appear to run "on time"......

#8 nicniewart

nicniewart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

The abandoned train myth I believe refers to the lost pneumatic railway of 1866. This doomed venture ran along a curved track from the Penge entrance,( near Thicket Road and CP Park Road presumably ) to the top of Crystal Palace Hill ( probably somewhere near where Paxton's house stood )and charged 6 pence (which was a considerable sum of money then as you could get cod and chips for a penny-ha'penny). The engine was a stationary vacuum device at the top of the hill. And when the venture failed the whole thing was just left. Just where this was exactly, no one seems to know. No plans exist as none had to be filed then. Some previous entries of the VN forum have said they in their youth have seen some excavations exposing a tunnel near the cricket pitch in the middle of the grass field area to the east of the kiddies playground. It would be quite a coup to have this cleared up once and for all.
Why no one has done a Time Team about this, is another mystery I'll never understand. As is the foundation stone of the CP with its treasure, laid by Queen Victoria.

#9 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

Why no one has done a Time Team about this, is another mystery I'll never understand. As is the foundation stone of the CP with its treasure, laid by Queen Victoria.

I was once talking to someone at the Crystal Palace museum who told me that the Time Team people were very keen to excavate the top site, which as far as I'm aware has never been cleared since the fire, though it had tons of Blitz rubble piled on top later. Imagine what interesting stuff there might be up there. But he said that Bromley Council had consistently refused permission - as he put it, because they were afraid of anyone showing an interest in the site.

#10 Blunders500

Blunders500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

You may want to have a look at these : Crystal Palace High Level Station

#11 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

Fabulous photos!

#12 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

The Bluebell Railway in Sussex is working towards re-establishing it's connection to East Grinstead.

This sign is located in Sheffield Park station...
(note the bit about admission)
http://wiki.virtualn...bellrailway.jpg

Edited by James, 14 June 2011 - 10:18 PM.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#13 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

Fabulous photos!

They certainly are! Nice work!

#14 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

I was once talking to someone at the Crystal Palace museum who told me that the Time Team people were very keen to excavate the top site, which as far as I'm aware has never been cleared since the fire, though it had tons of Blitz rubble piled on top later. Imagine what interesting stuff there might be up there. But he said that Bromley Council had consistently refused permission - as he put it, because they were afraid of anyone showing an interest in the site.

I remember a large water main/sewer being installed in the early 80s across CP park by what is now the entrance to the maze. My father climbed into the ditch one afternoon, and was digging out loads and loads of broken CP crockery, which it would appear had just been dumped into holes in the ground (!). I know we found a complete cup and saucer, and it spent many years on show in our house. I don't know what became of it though. :unsure:
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#15 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

Why oh why is this being left to rot :(

What an amazing place :hugkiss: I remember being one of the visitors with my parents when they opened it briefly many years ago but I was too young to appreciate it as I would now. I'd love it to be re-opened for everyone.