• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:39 PM

I have been looking on Google Earth and it would appear that the WW2 bomb shelter at the entrance to the park located at the end of Sylvan Rd and Maberly Rd has been dismantled.

Can any forum member confirm this?

We used to play in small building above ground in the 60's - could not get through the steel door to what was underneath.

It was located just inside the entrance where you could walk to the lake and the cricket ground. (My mother used to work in the cricket club house and I remember pinching "caramel bars" from the kitchen area.)

For some strange reason we called the park "the golf links" I can't for the life of me think why as I can't ever remember any golf course there.

#2 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:57 PM

There's no building in that area now, but from memory I think there signs of foundations near the entrance.

The park is now called South Norwood Lake and the site has had many uses over the years. I think it was the site of the largest tennis club in the country at one point, and for a while was a golf course.

Faint evidence of its use of a golf course can be seen in the section of the park running parallel to the railway line. The tree lines and drainage ditches are common features on a golf course, but more importantly the species of grass present would be expected on a golf course, but not in a park.

#3 Mrs Oswald

Mrs Oswald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

I have been looking on Google Earth and it would appear that the WW2 bomb shelter at the entrance to the park located at the end of Sylvan Rd and Maberly Rd has been dismantled.

Can any forum member confirm this?

We used to play in small building above ground in the 60's - could not get through the steel door to what was underneath.

It was located just inside the entrance where you could walk to the lake and the cricket ground. (My mother used to work in the cricket club house and I remember pinching "caramel bars" from the kitchen area.)

For some strange reason we called the park "the golf links" I can't for the life of me think why as I can't ever remember any golf course there.

We always used to call this park 'The Links' when I was a child in the 1950s, and I seem to remember that there was at one time a sign bearing this name. I never saw anybody playing golf there though, nor any indication, apart from the name, that it was, or had been, a golf course.

I do not remember an air raid shelter there either, though there may well have been one. They were all over the place at that time, including in 'The Rec' on Harold Road.

#4 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:23 AM

It is marked as "Golf Course Norwood Club" in an "A to Z" just before WW2.

#5 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

It is marked as "Golf Course Norwood Club" in an "A to Z" just before WW2.

Many thanks for all the replies.

We used to call the Lake Sounth Norward lake. I am happy knowing my memory is not cracking up with calling the park the Golf links.

I started school at Cypress infant's and could walk home through the entrance to the "Links" at the bottom of Cypress hill all the way to Sylvan estate. (I doubt if many kids of that age are able to walk home on their own these days through a park!)

#6 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

Axean you are quite correct.

The Air raid shelter was on the left (with 10/15 yards) as soon as you entered the gates to the park.

Looking on google maps it would appear that you can still walk from the bottom of Cypress Hill to where Sylvan estate was. (Now the college)

#7 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

Still hunting the internet without any luck for a photograph of Sylvan Estate