• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 grahamb

grahamb

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

I came across the designs for the new olympic mascots this morning. I'm not really sure what to think... so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Has the creative industry gone too far this time?!

New olympic mascots

#2 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:57 AM

Thats what happens when you let a grown up design something like this.

A mascot should be cuddly & fun not serious arty or trendy. Afraid they have got it seriously wrong again.

Perhaps world cup willie should come out of retirement !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#3 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

Not hugely impressed and wondering what on earth someone was thinking... but I do think they *might* grow on me in the future once I get used to them...
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#4 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

I don't know, I still haven't got used to the 2012 design and never fail to see Lisa Simpson when I look at it.

#5 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

I didnt see Lisa Simpson until someone told me I should; now I do every time. Funny!
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#6 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

Hemlock and Mandelson...

#7 grahamb

grahamb

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

Its not my take but I did enjoy it when somebody likened them to walking CCTV cameras...

#8 John Greatrex

John Greatrex

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

Our two 2012 mascots Wenlock and Manderville are brilliant.
Go to the London2012 website and see the animated film - it explains why they are such a good choice, historically representing Much Wenlock in Shropshire where Baron de Corbetin was inspired to recreate the Olympics and Stoke Manderville Hospital where in 1948 the first Paralympic sports day was held..

#9 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

That's fab but how many people are going to look into their origins? A brand should be instantly self-explanatory or it doesn't work. People (VNers notwithstanding) don't very often spend time wondering what you mean, they move on.

What's wrong with a fluffy Big Ben in Union Jack colours? I've still got a fluffy Eiffel Tower in tricolore stripes from Albertville 92. :D

#10 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

The fact you need to waste money on a short animated film to sell it to you is exactly why is so wrong !

It may have some great history behind the creation of the mascot but I wonder how much public money it wasted to come up with this idea.

You get the impression they are really trying to hard ! What is wrong in having a competition open to children of the UK to put forward a design & name & then have a vote off. This used to be common practice for novelty mascots like these.
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#11 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

Thats what happens when you let a grown up design something like this.

That's what happens when you let a parasitologist design something like this (or someone completely ignorant of the rest of the living world besides humans).. looks like trematodes to me!

A brand should be instantly self-explanatory or it doesn't work.

True...and the message these guys give is just a bit weird...

though I do like the origin of the names, now that it is explained. That will stick and has a good meta-message.

Perhaps world cup willie should come out of retirement !

...if they aren't trematodes, the other thing that came to mind is 'one-eyed trouser trouts'... :P

#12 John Greatrex

John Greatrex

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

Dear Dazza

The animated film was not created 'to sell it to you'.

Wenlock and Manderville have a far greater educational importance than being in your phrase 'novelty mascots'. That's why there wasn't just 'a competition open to children of the UK to put forward a design & name & then have a vote off. This used to be common practice for novelty mascots.'

Dear Spoon

How many people will see it? Just about every school child in the country.

'What's wrong with a fluffy Big Ben in Union Jack colours?'
The Olympic Games are far too important to become simply a opportunity for a bit of flag waving from the host country.
Anyway, what a boring, old idea. Big Ben was the main London landmark featured on our 1948 Olympic posters.
See if Mrs Spoon can come up with something a little more with it.

Dear Ziwa

'I do like the origin of the names, now that it is explained. That will stick and has a good meta-message.'

Congratulations on your 1001st post - at least that little bit from it!

#13 katsku

katsku

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

"Just about every school child in the country"? What about other countries?

Who's going to remember names like that? No matter how significant some villages somewhere may be, by the time you've heard the second name, you've forgotten the first one. Why have two of them anyway? Because two boring characters are slightly easier to forget than one? To me that signifies confused thinking. Like one eye doesn't know what the other one's doing.

Not involving people in the decision making kind of summarises what hosting big sporting events is all about these days: we get to pay for it and clean up afterwards, but we're not invited to the party.

The mesages I'm getting here are a: that the organisers don't know what they want, and b: that the games are not for people like me.

My overall verdict: :yawn:

#14 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

I should have put the Winky Face Emoticon of Irony/Sarcasm/Satire on the end of my fluffy Big Ben comment. Sorry :rolleyes:

I stand by what I said regardless.

#15 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

The mesages I'm getting here are a: that the organisers don't know what they want, and b: that the games are not for people like me.

That just about sums up every large public event that Britain has organised in the last hundred years. Spot on!

These mascots and the overall 2012 brand are simply awful. But it could be worse:

http://www.how-do.co...y-200910126547/

Is Britain trying to win the "We're the worst country at design, ever!" competition?