• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

I grew up in Shropshire not too far from Much Wenlock, about 5 miles away, so I have now decided the mascots are fab :D I quite like them in their Union Jack outfit.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#17 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

Bloody hell Matt - with branding like that you are just inviting dirision really.

On the Olympic mascots, I think Katsku has pretty much summed it up. A mascot should be simple and would it be so awful for it to have some relevance to the country where the games are to be held? Looking at Wenlock and his sidekick, you'd think the games were being held on Mars.

The fact is nobody really remembers or cares about the backstory, or backstories in this case :rolleyes:. I look at them and think other than the names, what the hell has this got to do with the UK? First we have that mess that was the official logo (I hadn't noticed the Lisa Simpson thing before so thanks for that :D), now we have a pair of deranged cyclopses. Can someone tell me where I apply for my council tax rebate? They should have just got kids in London schools to design it and picked the best one. It would have been free and every kid in the city would have felt involved in the Olympics in some way.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#18 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

Its what Lisa Simpson appears to be doing is more disturbing!

#19 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Why waste money of a limited budget for a stuffed toy ! Why not spend the money on a young athlete which may help him them to be more competitive at our Olympics.

I can see the headlines now great educational story behind the mascot but rock bottom in the Medal league table.

As I said trying way to hard !

Dazza

PS Lisa Simpson in a lewd act for a logo & a couple of 1 eyed monsters for mascots its all making sense now !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#20 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

Well, I say get with it daddy-o (or should it be daddies-o!). The Simpsons, South Park, Futurama all caused howls of outraged aesthetic sensibilities when they first arrived. Now they're mainstream. I like that they're trying to do something different.

My only problem was that the kids in the cartoon were all white - at least in the bit they showed on telly - when a lot of the athletes in Team GB will be black. Seems a shame not to acknowledge that simple fact. Although whenever you show different races you get all these 'PC gone mad' sneers so perhaps they were trying to avoid that.

#21 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

PS Lisa Simpson in a lewd act for a logo & a couple of 1 eyed monsters for mascots its all making sense now !

:lol:

#22 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

Have i stumbled upon the Daily Mail website by accident?

Sneering at the Olympics is SO Noughties.....

I have no doubt that whatever the organisers come up with, regardless of merit or otherwise, it will be sneered at by that significant part of the population who would dominate the Moaning event, should there be one in 2012.

When the stadium is packed out on opening night and the bulk of the country gets caught up in it, there will still be many people thinking they are too cool for it, looking down their noses and criticising, but secretly pretending they were allowed to enjoy it without going back on everything they've said to their mates for the last 5 years....
I'm sure lots of people would have said the Palace would be a bad idea and a waste of money, except for the fact that the Victorians were a bit more go-getting than their descendents.

#23 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

I would rather see out athletes doing well than anything else the opening event is basically a waste of time for the VIPs to watch live & us mortals to watch on TV whilst it was us who paid for it.

Not really bothered if our mascot is remembered or not but the amount spent on this creation ( I bet it is absurd ) is a complete waste of money.

If only we spent the money on our athletes like the other countries competing . I hate the victorian attitude that its the taking part that counts not the winning !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#24 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

I don't think we are sneering at the Olympics on this thread, just the mascot(s). London getting the Olympics is very cool in my book, although I know not everyone agrees on that score.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#25 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

Matt

I think you are WAY off the mark there. I remember the day before the 7/7 bombings when it was announced we got the games there was a combined cheer across our floor (of around 200 people) in unison. I think what has pee'd a lot of people off is the fact that Londoners have had to pay for the thing with no return.

I love the fact we got them but we want to rip most of it down afterwards so we have no legacy....brilliant. And our premier athletics stadium will still be the frankly embarassing CP stadium.

#26 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

I love the fact we got them but we want to rip most of it down afterwards so we have no legacy....brilliant.

And yet the organisers have been at pains to avoid that very accusation. Here's what it says on their website Legacy after the games and I have no reason not to believe them, have you?

"The world-class sports facilities will be adapted for use by sports clubs and the local community as well as elite athletes. New playing fields sitting alongside these facilities will be adapted for community use.

The Olympic Village, where athletes and officials will stay during the Games, will be converted into homes, many available for key workers such as teachers and nurses.

Together with the new homes in the Olympic Village, there will be further housing built with the Olympic Park site after the Games. Riverside housing, shops, restaurants and cafes will provide new amenities for the local community.

A range of transport improvements serving the Park are already underway, including an extension to the Docklands Light Railway (DLR), increased capacity on the Jubilee Line and the upgrade of Stratford Regional Station.

The communities surrounding the Park will enjoy access to the open space via a network of canal towpaths, footpaths and cycleways.

Economically, the area will be transformed. Thousands of new jobs will be created in the Park alone. Job and training opportunities will be created for local people, and local residents will be engaged in the planning of the Games and the benefits the project will bring afterwards.

There will also be a wealth of benefits to the wider community, such as cross-city transport improvements in London, more training and job opportunities for the UK and the chance for a vast array of businesses to be involved.

The Games will leave a key legacy of national benefits in culture, sport, volunteering, business and tourism."

#27 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

Sir Red Ken said it would be reduced to 25k which is a bad move. Let WHUFC move in there (a Nehwham based club )and take over. Make a 50k+ venue that can compete with athletic meets abroad and cope with football without the track.

#28 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

Do you mean the stadium capacity's going to be reduced to 25,000? I don't know enough about sports venues to know if that's good, bad or indifferent, but if it's intended for local people and elite athletes, that's a good thing isn't it? Not ripping it down, at any rate.

As for giving it to West Ham - if that's what WHUFC means - don't they already have a ground? Even if they don't, or won't, due to greed or mismanagement or whatever, I'd be pretty hacked off if the Olympic facilities were given over to a commercial football club.

#29 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

Have i stumbled upon the Daily Mail website by accident?

No, you've stumbled across a Guardian website by accident, but I guess they're two sides of the same coin

#30 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:10 AM

Do you mean the stadium capacity's going to be reduced to 25,000? I don't know enough about sports venues to know if that's good, bad or indifferent, but if it's intended for local people and elite athletes, that's a good thing isn't it? Not ripping it down, at any rate.

As for giving it to West Ham - if that's what WHUFC means - don't they already have a ground? Even if they don't, or won't, due to greed or mismanagement or whatever, I'd be pretty hacked off if the Olympic facilities were given over to a commercial football club.

Yes. That's what will happen after the games it is to be ripped down to 25k which is a scandal. As you say it should be for local people so whufc should get first dibs IMO. And yes whufc is west ham I apologise for not making that clear. Yes they currently have a ground but I hear that the match day logistics are a mare. Why waste an already built facility when there is a tenant ready willing and able to take the potential white elephant for football cricket and other uses that have been quoted.