• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

Does anyone know where i can find some elderflowers? I'm not sure if they are flowering yet but I know it can't be long!

I would like to have a bash at making some delicious elderflower champagne.

#2 Globex

Globex

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

I think they're just starting to flower - I've noticed some in the disused land I walk past on my way to the bus stop..

If you keep an eye out I'm sure you'll start to see them soon - then its time for early morning/late evening stealth harvesting!

#3 nico

nico

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

Last year I picked a load from the entrance to what I think is called South Norwood Park, or Norwood park. The entrance is on Auckland Road, not too far past the Doctor's.
I made Elderflower champers and cordial, the last of which we're drinking now, so the timing couldn't be better.
It's a good spot, being back from the road, thus avoiding contamination by pollutants from the cars and buses.
And yes, dawn is best...

#4 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

Thanks i found heaps over the weekend - elderflower champagne is brewing as we speak.. Slightly worried as it currently looks purple since the heads went black when we scortched with the hot water... do you hink the colour will go?

#5 nico

nico

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

I'm not sure about the heads going black, but there are certain varieties of elderflower that have purple in them, so you may just have to live with it. I can't imagine the taste will be affected. In any case, I'm sure it wont be hanging around long enough for it to be a problem...
Did you pick from Auckland Road? I must get down there before supplies dwindle.

#6 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

I ended up picking them around wandsworth as i happened to be there and come accross some. But i noticed that there are elderflowers everywhere. There are lots on the entrance road to crystal palace park.

My brew is now bubbling away nicely - it's still black but it smells delicious.

#7 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:35 AM

Nico, do you feel like posting your recipes? We have a large tree in our garden and have been tempted to have a go. Cheers.

#8 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

Last year I picked a load from the entrance to what I think is called South Norwood Park, or Norwood park. The entrance is on Auckland Road, not too far past the Doctor's.

The area (map) stretches all the way round to the back of Kitley Gardens and is an excellent spot for blackberries... enough for everyone, you could take a bus load of people down there and still have some left over.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#9 Redbunny23

Redbunny23

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

I have been down and picked some at the Auckland Road entrance to South Norwood Lakes this morning. There are quite a few and alot more just beginning to bud to come out in the next few days.

Molly - I've never made it before either, but there are loads of receipes if you google. They all seem to be pretty much the same - 30 heads of Elderflower, 2 lemons, 2kg sugar, 3 litres water and citric acid. Put the elderflower heads, lemon zest and sliced lemons in a big bowl, boil water and dissolve the sugar into it, pour over elderflower etc, stir in citric acid, cover a leave overnight. Next day strain through a muslin and hey presto! Lets hope it works! I'll let you know.

#10 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

Has anyone tried their elderflower champagne yet?? We have 6 bottles of very clear lemony coloured liquid in plastic bottles waiting to be sampled. We lost one bottle on the way!

Did anyone end up with one of these:

Exploding plastic bottle

Edited by charlie, 12 October 2010 - 11:59 AM.

#11 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:15 PM

Elderflower champagne a surprising success. Screw cap on screwed on boxing day, a gentle PHizzz, lovely bubbles and beautifully clear with just a hint of cloudiness as there should be apparently. Seal of approval all round. Three bottles to go.

Will be making more next summer.

Sloe gin still to be tested - where are you Elmo????

#12 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:51 AM

I had some Peyton & Byrne elderflower dark chocolate yesterday - delicious. The tagline on it was 'Respect your elder'. Indeed. :)

#13 Globex

Globex

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

It's elder flower time again!

This year I'm going to get around to making some with redbunny's recipe.. Although not sure about where to buy citric acid.. Sounds like the kind of thing that would make you a 'person of interest' if you ordered it online in vast quantities...

#14 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

Indeed! I'm going to try it this year, too! This recipe doesn't contain citric acid... :ph34r: BBC recipe

#15 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:20 PM

It's elder flower time again!

Although not sure about where to buy citric acid..

I think they had it in the shop two doors down from Poundstretcher, it was among the bags of spices.
If not chemists sometimes do it.