• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 mozza

mozza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

Hi - I'm trying to find some info about the farmers' market which appeared briefly by the station in Norwood Junction... and whether there might be any opportunity to resurrect another one in the area.

Does anyone think there's the demand for something like that in South Norwood? I'd be really interested to hear what people think!

#2 Janee

Janee

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:20 PM

I think it's a great idea.

#3 mozza

mozza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

I think it's a great idea.

Great, thanks!

I think it could work really well. I just need to work out whether enough people would be interested.

There were signs for a farmers' market behind Somerfield a while ago, but it seemed very short-lived. And since then, that plot has become a bit of a wasteland. So it would be interesting to know whether it was because it wasn't the right mix of stalls, or whether there just wasn't the interest locally.

Feedback from people here about whether you think it would work or not is really valuable though. Anyone else have any thoughts/suggestions??

#4 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

Great, thanks!

I think it could work really well. I just need to work out whether enough people would be interested.

There were signs for a farmers' market behind Somerfield a while ago, but it seemed very short-lived. And since then, that plot has become a bit of a wasteland. So it would be interesting to know whether it was because it wasn't the right mix of stalls, or whether there just wasn't the interest locally.

Feedback from people here about whether you think it would work or not is really valuable though. Anyone else have any thoughts/suggestions??

Hi We live in South Norwood, and apart from Sainsburys at selhurst,never shop in the high street, I've only used Lorimers when the boys where smaller for toys etc, that shut down some time ago,(and white girls shouldn't be getting no weave!I already have a house, and I don't think false nails are good for a gardener).So thats about two thirds of the shops, oh and I'm fat enough already to visit Greggs LOL. I would be interested if there was decent things to buy, but you would need to advertise it really well,there certainly isn't the community spirit that you get in Upper Norwood for instance, and the issue with parking is never going to improve, the council should do more to help the local traders, but that's another story!

#5 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

I agree with Posie. I was going to say I'd be interested and would come for a look/buy round the farmers' market but I live in Upper Norwood so I don't think it's the true market research answer you're looking for.

It would be interesting to see the split of location of VNers - Anerley, Penge, Upper, South, West Norwood and our friends in Streatham and Thornton Heath. I'm sure I've missed lots of places but you get my drift.

How about a market at all for that spot to the side of the South Norwood Somerfield? A few stalls could be farmers' produce or taken by local traders in butchery and so on and the others could be whatever will take a stall, a bit like the Alma Garden Market.

#6 mozza

mozza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

I agree with Posie. I was going to say I'd be interested and would come for a look/buy round the farmers' market but I live in Upper Norwood so I don't think it's the true market research answer you're looking for.

It would be interesting to see the split of location of VNers - Anerley, Penge, Upper, South, West Norwood and our friends in Streatham and Thornton Heath. I'm sure I've missed lots of places but you get my drift.

How about a market at all for that spot to the side of the South Norwood Somerfield? A few stalls could be farmers' produce or taken by local traders in butchery and so on and the others could be whatever will take a stall, a bit like the Alma Garden Market.

Yes, the short-lived south norwood farmers' market was on that plot beside Somerfield in South Norwood. But it wasn't very well publicised, and what I saw of it was a bit random - it seemed to be burger vans rather than fruit and veg...!

I'm looking into the possibility of doing something at Cypress School. And they're open to the idea of putting a letter out to parents to get an idea of the level on interest from them. So that would be really useful market research.

Otherwise it's me standing outside South Norwood station with a clipboard!!

But is the area crying out for something like this? I know I am, but maybe I'm in the minority. As you say, the high street is awash with friend chicken places and nail bars. But I like to think that there might be a critical mass of people who might be up for a regular (monthly??) market...

Keep the thoughts coming - it's really really useful. Even if it is a reality check!

#7 Clarity

Clarity

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

If it was something like the monthly market at Dulwich College with similar (or even some of the same) stallholders, I'd certainly be there

#8 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:33 PM

Fab to see a post about South Norwood.

The market at south norwood near the supermarket was poorly advertised...and was really only once...but I've only been living here for 18 months. Vegetables and a good place to buy fish are lacking...I go to Surrey Street Market or Addiscombe....West Norwood is a nightmare re. parking. I think key would be price....As we still have quite a few people in South Norwood on benefits and low incomes.

I would be interested in the market and using it as I don't really buy a lot in the high street....I do go to Sommerfields and that is about it. I do shop on Portland Road and go to the butchers as the meat is amazing and very reasonable...and I go to the pet shop for my cat but also as they do lots of well priced flowers....And I visit the DIY store.

I think lots of people have wanted a veg place as the one by the station is limited and the guy isn't very friendly....

I think getting the school onboard and also Croydon council....The council has and adult education budget that enables tutors to work with parents and their children I schools...The initiative is called family learning...And by law it has to be provided and so protected from cuts. Might be a good idea to make friends with these people as they could publicise your market/produce.

I know a the woodside end of Portland Road, a health food shop was set up and it closed as it didn't have enough traffic.

Sorry for the long post but I think South Norwood and you idea is where the antique market on the Parade at Crystal Palace was ten years ago. I think the idea will work but you should start small like they did...and it develop. South Norwood as I said is an area changing.....The differences with Crystal Palace/South Norwood reminds me of Balham 15 years ago.

You should contact The people of Portland Road as they would be able to promote your initiative....I have some contact details I can PM you if you think they would be of use. Also, the local estate agents, especially Northwoods - owner owns the local coffee shop, I'm told promote these types of initiatives.

#9 Cal

Cal

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

Hi Folks

I'm the District Centre Manager for South Norwood (sort of similiar to a town centre manager). The short lived markets next to Somerfield were before my time, but I understand that they were general markets with a few local producers. Unfortunately they were not well attended. Moving on from this I'm working with a local market organiser and we are considering a local produce/crafts market. Would you support this?

#10 Sevenof9

Sevenof9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hi Cal

I live in Crystal Palace but would happily trek down to South Norwood for a market to buy fruit and veg - but only if the price is right. I agree with Sunray that it would need to be something akin to Surrey Street market prices to make it viable for me - I usedly to regularly schlep to East Street market in Camberwell for that same reason.

That is why I suspect the main reason the Penge farmers' market had a short life.

#11 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

I would second that for food - I would come over. Sometimes, the craft stalls tend to outnumber the food sellers at these places in the end and that kills the interest for me really. I don't see the two as related.

#12 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:44 PM

South Norwood could really do with a Surrey Street Market-type market - lots of cheap fruit and veg, flowers and plants and some fish and meat stalls. I don't really think you want any of those over priced art and craft type stalls. I understand that the Co-op (previously Somerfield) is about to undergo major refurbishment and incorporate a Peacocks, which is good as there's nowhere else in the High Street area to buy a pair of socks or knickers! The area is slowly changing, mainly due to the East London extension and more people using Norwood Junction Station, and it deserves better shops, some tlc and a bit of respect. We've got a week long South Norwood Arts Festival coming up in July organised by People for Portland Road (details on their website), and going a bit off topic - if anyone was around last Saturday night after Ghana won you would have witnessed the most amazing impromptu carnival celebrations outside the Gold Coast on Portland Road, when the road was blocked off for 3-4 hours with singing, dancing, acrobatics, tooting of horns and cheering. No bad behaviour, no aggro, no police - just people having a really good time - that's South Norwood for you!

#13 mozza

mozza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

Hi Folks

I'm the District Centre Manager for South Norwood (sort of similiar to a town centre manager). The short lived markets next to Somerfield were before my time, but I understand that they were general markets with a few local producers. Unfortunately they were not well attended. Moving on from this I'm working with a local market organiser and we are considering a local produce/crafts market. Would you support this?

This is GREAT news!

Of course I would definitely support it - and it sounds like a few others would as well.

I've spoken to the head of Cypress Infants and Juniors about this idea, and the possibility of maybe holding it in the school grounds, which she's willing to explore.

She's also happy to discuss putting a letter out to parents to allow them to register interest - would be a good way of getting a feel for the level of interest?

Where were you thinking of holding it? In the plot beside Somerfield? There's definitely a benefit in holding it somewhere where there's passing trade (as opposed to the school which would rely on v good marketing).

But great that you're across this and planning a produce/craft market.

Is there anything any of us could do to help get this off the ground?

Fab to see a post about South Norwood.

The market at south norwood near the supermarket was poorly advertised...and was really only once...but I've only been living here for 18 months. Vegetables and a good place to buy fish are lacking...I go to Surrey Street Market or Addiscombe....West Norwood is a nightmare re. parking. I think key would be price....As we still have quite a few people in South Norwood on benefits and low incomes.

I would be interested in the market and using it as I don't really buy a lot in the high street....I do go to Sommerfields and that is about it. I do shop on Portland Road and go to the butchers as the meat is amazing and very reasonable...and I go to the pet shop for my cat but also as they do lots of well priced flowers....And I visit the DIY store.

I think lots of people have wanted a veg place as the one by the station is limited and the guy isn't very friendly....

I think getting the school onboard and also Croydon council....The council has and adult education budget that enables tutors to work with parents and their children I schools...The initiative is called family learning...And by law it has to be provided and so protected from cuts. Might be a good idea to make friends with these people as they could publicise your market/produce.

I know a the woodside end of Portland Road, a health food shop was set up and it closed as it didn't have enough traffic.

Sorry for the long post but I think South Norwood and you idea is where the antique market on the Parade at Crystal Palace was ten years ago. I think the idea will work but you should start small like they did...and it develop. South Norwood as I said is an area changing.....The differences with Crystal Palace/South Norwood reminds me of Balham 15 years ago.

You should contact The people of Portland Road as they would be able to promote your initiative....I have some contact details I can PM you if you think they would be of use. Also, the local estate agents, especially Northwoods - owner owns the local coffee shop, I'm told promote these types of initiatives.

PS - thanks for the Portland Road butcher's tip - I have never bought anything from there as I wasn't sure about the quality, but I'll give it a go now...

#14 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

I think food market wouild be good and refelective of the area......more people would use it. I also think that Surrey Lane rather than over priced organic market as area isn't ready for that

#15 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:10 PM

I agree with Sunray, good quality fruit and veg, meat and fish and a plant stall or two, and by the way we got stuck in the ghana - thon it was fun, but I had very tired musicians to get home so we had to turn off and go down the back roads in the end!! I really hope this area picks up, we moved here from Farquhar Rd 11 years ago because we needed 3 bedrooms, and just couldn't put up with living in a flat with people above us anymore, the houses were and still are affordable but the high street has always reflected that.Hopefully things will improve now we have the new choos choos!