• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

Having a market selling fruit & veg and crafts would be fantastic. Organic fruit & Veg can be sold as the market evolves naturally or (organically!):)

I'd support the market and I'm sure my acquaintances in SN would support it too!

Let's get this market going!

#17 Cal

Cal

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

Thanks folks for your ideas for markets. Re: locations I have somewhere in mind which I'm trying to negotiate (sorry if that sounds evasive, but don't want to jump the gun). I have already discussed South Norwood with a market organiser who appears to be up for it.

I'm picking up strongly on the fruit and veg vibe - so anyone out there a local producer who would want to get involved? I need to do a bit of background work on this (boring stuff about trading licences etc) but in the meantime throw any contacts or ideas my way.

#18 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

Great - thank you!

In my opinion start with the basics... but I think there should be something unique about the market could draw people in from surrounding areas. I'm sure the market will grow and evolve (in line with the people who move in to SN) into selling produce/items that you would see in a street markets off Lordship Lane, East Dulwich and East London.

#19 mozza

mozza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

Great - thank you!

In my opinion start with the basics... but I think there should be something unique about the market could draw people in from surrounding areas. I'm sure the market will grow and evolve (in line with the people who move in to SN) into selling produce/items that you would see in a street markets off Lordship Lane, East Dulwich and East London.

I know it's heading down a pricier route, but maybe approaching the blackbird bakery in crystal palace and seeing if they might be interested in getting involved? It would be nice to recognise local companies where possible.

Cal, do say if you need any extra help. And in the meantime, I'll put any conversations with Cypress School on hold - it makes no sense to head off in a different direction if it looks like things are progressing at your end.

Fingers crossed!!!

#20 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

going a bit off topic - if anyone was around last Saturday night after Ghana won you would have witnessed the most amazing impromptu carnival celebrations outside the Gold Coast on Portland Road, when the road was blocked off for 3-4 hours with singing, dancing, acrobatics, tooting of horns and cheering. No bad behaviour, no aggro, no police - just people having a really good time - that's South Norwood for you!

Yes, I was driving down Portland Road late that evening and wondered what was going on. Sadly my first thought that there had been an "incident" but everyone looked so happy and there was a distinct lack of police cars!
As for the farmers' market, would it be possible for local fruit and veg growers (not commercial ones) to sell their excess produce - maybe in aid of a good local cause ... I'm thinking the Cinema Campaign here <_<
aka Pie

#21 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

Blackbird Bakery... I think that would be good.

I know it's heading down a pricier route, but maybe approaching the blackbird bakery in crystal palace and seeing if they might be interested in getting involved? It would be nice to recognise local companies where possible.

Cal, do say if you need any extra help. And in the meantime, I'll put any conversations with Cypress School on hold - it makes no sense to head off in a different direction if it looks like things are progressing at your end.

Fingers crossed!!!
[/quote]

#22 Cal

Cal

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

At last I can comfirm that a market is coming to South Norwood. It will be at Stanley Halls on a Saturday, probably at the end of September. I'll confirm full details when we have it finalised but I wanted to flag this now as I need your help.

After taking into account the views of VNers and other comments a local resident will be starting up a 'community market'. This all encompasing term is to reflect how we are trying to attract local producers to sell at the market - whether you grow food, make food or make clothes or crafts. Either as professional businesses or not, individuals or groups. The only stipulation is that you have to have public liability insurance and, if necessary, a level 2 food handling certificate from the Council. Pitches will cost 30 and you provide everything you need.

Anyone interested? Know anyone who might want to take part? The organiser has also started a quarterly market in Addiscombe so there is scope to get involved with that one. It'll take a bit of time for people to get the hang of the local nature of the market, but we'll start from here and see how it goes.

Stanley Halls also has a lovely big stage - so no point in that sitting empty during the market. Any community groups wanting to put on a display should get in touch.

Of course you can post comment to me here, but I suggest that anyone interested in a pitch may want to take discuss the formal bits via my work email to avoid cluttering up this forum - carol.clapperton@croydonedc.co.uk

#23 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

Well done Cal! And to others too.

I know Stanley Halls, so i'm assuming it's an indoor market?

Will you be leafleting SE25 residents?

I'm looking forward to the market and will spread the word!

#24 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:37 AM

this is really good...and right by the bus stops too.

I think fruit and veg...and plants and flowers Maybe the traders from surrey street might be interested...And places like Abbey Mills in Coilers Wood....Or Tooting Market. There is a flower stall run in Brixton by ex-offenders - maybe offer them a pitch.

Know you've just got the news but have you advertised the pitches anywhere yet?

Well done Cal! And to others too.

I know Stanley Halls, so i'm assuming it's an indoor market?

Will you be leafleting SE25 residents?

I'm looking forward to the market and will spread the word!

#25 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

Brilliant! Good old Stanley Halls - its a really beautiful building inside & out & a good place for a farmers market as punters/stallholders won't be deterred during the winter. Well done Cal - keep us all informed when the first one will be.

#26 kerstin

kerstin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

Hello, I came across this thread today. I live very close to Stanley Halls. Is this market happening these days?