My link

#17 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:13 PM

I hate the idea of killing things and am appalled by the suggestions on here of crunching underfoot, drowning them, freezing them or throwing them in a bag then adding salt. What are you thinking?

Why can't you use the repellants - like the copper bands - or, if the crops are out of pots, pick any invaders off and put them somewhere away from your garden? A lot of the other ways are just laziness.

I'm really disgusted.

#18 happymundays

happymundays

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

I hate the idea of killing things and am appalled by the suggestions on here of crunching underfoot, drowning them, freezing them or throwing them in a bag then adding salt. What are you thinking?

Why can't you use the repellants - like the copper bands - or, if the crops are out of pots, pick any invaders off and put them somewhere away from your garden? A lot of the other ways are just laziness.

I'm really disgusted.

Does not work different methods are good and at least some people try more safe methods for humans and wildlife and that slugs and snail safely goes into the cycle of life rather than pelleting/spraying pesticide's and harm wildlife.
Applaud people for trying.

#19 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

I would applaud them for spending some time picking them off every evening or using a safe deterrent, yes.

#20 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

Spoon, I've looked at your post a couple of times to see if it was meant to be ironic and I think your being serious

I'm guessing you own a cat? If you allow it to roam outdoors it's part of a large team of cats killing more than 250 million wild animals each year. It's not 'natural', because the area could not naturally support the number of cats present.

I guess I'm saying that if you own a cat that you allow to roam outdoors you loose the right to tell other people to "use repellents" for snails

#21 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

He only has one tooth and a bell on his collar, he's 16 and he hardly goes out. He doesn't kill anything.

And how is one pro putting slugs in a bag and throwing salt on them? That's what I'm getting at, not the fact that people don't want slugs eating their crops - of course they don't.

I do put my money where my mouth is, you know. I am also growing numerous crops in pots but I don't have a pest problem. I companion plant to repel the relevant flies and I have elevated the slugs' favourites beyond their reach.

#22 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

Try spraying WD40 on the ouside of plant-pots - apparently it makes it difficult for snails and slugs to climb up them. Could be worth a try! :D

#23 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

I do understand your point Spoon and I think most of us are trying to find a best-case solution for dealing with the critters. If you don't kill them, you either leave them to destroy plants that aren't protected or you make them someone else's problem. I've considered dumping them, but where? Every bit of land round here is owned and tended by someone.

Hang on, I've got it - that bit of land by the billboards on Church Rd that posters have complained is a public urinal*. Sure, you wouldn't look very civic-minded emptying a bag of snails and slugs in there, but maybe it's the least of all evils. If we all did it, it could be a haven for slugs. They'd have to put up with a few drunken a***s of a weekend, but don't we all.

What do you reckon? Make the billboard area into Slugsville?

What the hell is going to become of the eyesore that is the old 'billboard' site. A bit of a VN 'hot topic', but one that needs to be addressed after all. As an esteemed poster on here mentioned, it has indeed turned into a urinal of a Friday/Saturday night. The homebase garden fencing that surrounds the site has become a billboard in itself with at least four businesses advertising on it. Surely thats as illegal as the old board? And certainly more tacky

#24 filmbuffy

filmbuffy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:41 PM

er can i just say i have put a lot of time and effort into my first year of growing... and snails and slugs desimate an entire pot of crop in one evening. You do have to find methods of getting rid of them.. no matter how awful it sounds.
i have chucked them over walls a few times.. but it isnt really fair to chuck them into others garden now is it. and even though so crops are in pots i cant elevate more then i have... and snails can climb up walls and wooden fencing to get to things anyway.
its not nice....but it has to be done. i think most people do try to find the most humane way. i wonder what farmers with huge crops do to get rid of them...

#25 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:11 AM

You don't throw them into someone else's garden! :rolleyes:

Nanazola is on the right track - they need to go somewhere where they're off your crops and safe from harm - but they need food. Our area is particularly green and not every patch is someone's pride and joy. Just because the slugs do things we don't want them to! Perhaps we shouldn't have built over so much land, etc, etc so they come on to that land looking for food and finding your garden. But weren't we just doing what humans do? Slugs are just being slugs. It's not our right to declare them a pest and kill them. A lot of what we do is a right pest to them.

*Ducks* ;)

#26 filmbuffy

filmbuffy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

that may be. but if in general they were not brought under control by us as individual growers or by farmers... we as humans wouldnt have any food to eat.
im sure farmers dont have time to be picking them off all of their hundreds of crops so i think youl find in some areas pest control measures are quite harsh but necessary.the same way cute little hares and rabbits are seen as cute pets to us.. but go to the countryside and you will see hundreds... these are pests to the farmer and they are shot... its not nice but again...youve got to do what is necessary.

#27 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

NanaZ

Thats the best suggestion I've heard so far to be honest ;)

Imagine at closing time, the full bladdered ones having to run the gaunlet of snails on the floor prior to emptying. I'm picturing a suburban 'Adventure Game Vortex'

Apologies if noone remembers the adventure game, but it works for me!

#28 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

i have chucked them over walls a few times.. but it isnt really fair to chuck them into others garden now is it. and even though so crops are in pots i cant elevate more then i have... and snails can climb up walls and wooden fencing to get to things anyway.
its not nice....but it has to be done. i think most people do try to find the most humane way. i wonder what farmers with huge crops do to get rid of them...

Apparently like mice, they have strong homing instincts. Ethics and neighbourlyness aside, you need to take them a lot further away. Experiments have been done involving tipex on their shells!

NanaZ

Thats the best suggestion I've heard so far to be honest ;)

Imagine at closing time, the full bladdered ones having to run the gaunlet of snails on the floor prior to emptying. I'm picturing a suburban 'Adventure Game Vortex'

Apologies if noone remembers the adventure game, but it works for me!

Definitely. A favourite when I was young.

Edited by RachelF, 11 June 2010 - 09:48 AM.

Rachel
My link

#29 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:19 AM

that may be. but if in general they were not brought under control by us as individual growers or by farmers... we as humans wouldnt have any food to eat.
im sure farmers dont have time to be picking them off all of their hundreds of crops so i think youl find in some areas pest control measures are quite harsh but necessary.the same way cute little hares and rabbits are seen as cute pets to us.. but go to the countryside and you will see hundreds... these are pests to the farmer and they are shot... its not nice but again...youve got to do what is necessary.

I hear ya. But that's too big a debate for this lil thread.

#30 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

I'm a gonna do it! There should be a fair crop of slimy friends after all this rain.

Haven't heard of Adventure Game Vortex - sounds like something from a Japanese t-shirt - but if it involves miscreants dodging molluscs I'm all for it.