• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

I'm a gonna do it! There should be a fair crop of slimy friends after all this rain.

Haven't heard of Adventure Game Vortex - sounds like something from a Japanese t-shirt - but if it involves miscreants dodging molluscs I'm all for it.

You've pretty much got it spot on NZ....8/10 <_<

The Adventure Game was a show on BBC2 in the mid to late 80's. Set in space, contestants had to get across a vortex without treading on hotspots where they would be vaporised into the ether

#32 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:50 PM

I used some slug pellets the other week, but I didnt really want to (and it didnt even work anyway, they still ate my mangetout!). I want to stop the slugs from eating my veg plants, but I dont want to kill them. I didnt know about the copper/aluminium foil method, so am going to try that tomorrow instead :D
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#33 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

Make sure you cook 'em properly first, Nanazola.

man eats slug

But as a vegetarian I couldn't possibly condone it...! Although I am curious as to the texture. Not curious enough to ecxperience it first hand though vegetarianism withstanding. A bit like a chewy slimy mushroom?

The Adventure Game

Copper foil does work to a degree, but a little pricey if you have a large area/lots of pots. Worth a try though for precious things.

Edited by RachelF, 11 June 2010 - 04:06 PM.

Rachel
My link

#34 filmbuffy

filmbuffy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

hey Moc, Rachel. i dont think ordinary foil works. its something to do with copper and giving the slimeys a shock when they come in contact sending them running.

But check out ebay.. copper tape. quite a good price i found and you can wrap it round pots.. or i guess creat a fenced area/ barrier and put some on that too.

i havent tried it yet am awaiting the arrival of said tape... but hopefully will do the trick... and i will no longer have guilt... (until the next time i accident step on one on a rainy night ) :blink:

#35 happymundays

happymundays

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

hey Moc, Rachel. i dont think ordinary foil works. its something to do with copper and giving the slimeys a shock when they come in contact sending them running.

But check out ebay.. copper tape. quite a good price i found and you can wrap it round pots.. or i guess creat a fenced area/ barrier and put some on that too.

i havent tried it yet am awaiting the arrival of said tape... but hopefully will do the trick... and i will no longer have guilt... (until the next time i accident step on one on a rainy night ) :blink:

I hold my hands up I stepped on about 20 by accident working up and down a clients garden yuck!! I just cannot stand the crunching, beer is the only way to go me and them.

#36 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

If you have to go, there are worse ways... assuming one isn't beeing anthropomorphic here. (I'm not sure what that says about me though, if I am.)

Yes it does need to be copper tape.
Rachel
My link

#37 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

Thanks guys, will look up copper foil/tape on ebay!
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#38 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

Make sure you cook 'em properly first, Nanazola.

man eats slug

Actually I wasn't the one who wanted to eat 'em, tho I have collected and eaten snails... on a French exchange in the Pyrenees in the 70s. You can only eat the brown and yellow striped ones, you have to leave them to sort out their digestive tract for a few days, then have a cantankerous old granny cook them for 24 hours or something. The first one was delicious, so was the second, and by the sixth I was ready to throw up. Needless to say the French family had mountains of shells on their plates.

Slugs though, that's just sick.

#39 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

Actually I wasn't the one who wanted to eat 'em, tho I have collected and eaten snails... on a French exchange in the Pyrenees in the 70s. You can only eat the brown and yellow striped ones, you have to leave them to sort out their digestive tract for a few days, then have a cantankerous old granny cook them for 24 hours or something. The first one was delicious, so was the second, and by the sixth I was ready to throw up. Needless to say the French family had mountains of shells on their plates.

Or clearly will result in such.
Rachel
My link

#40 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:04 AM

I've been using copper tape for some years and find it as good as anything. I've also tried collars of serrated plastic (various bottles cut with pinking shears), sharp grit and egg shells, both recommended by those who don't want to kill the slugs & snails. (I did wonder if I'd find impaled slugs on the bottles, but fortunately not. Neither did they work as a deterrent.) My aged parent grows veggies in pots only (her garden soil is seems to be almost sterile greensand) & uses vaseline round the tops of the pots, which she declares works well (although it irritates me when I have to move her heavy pots around as I can't stand vaseline). Might be worth a try.

#41 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

Just a quick message to anyone growing tomatoes or potatoes - our allotment committee has sent out a warning that there is blight in the area, so keep an eye on these plants for any signs of rot/infection!

#42 Senor Buckethead

Senor Buckethead

I'm a dedicated follower of passion

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

Something on the news this morning half caught my attention - the Spanish slug - invigorated apparently by the deluge. Big problem apparently is their risk to the road user. Get one crushed under a tyre, the others are attracted by the odour- the consequence being a confluence of curious slugs, all to crushed under vehicle tyre. Did I dream this or did I hear this correctly this morning?

Any way, cut to chase a slimy mess on the road equals apparently big danger to vehicles - look out. Can anyone recommend a road warning sign?
Tadpole - my favourite word

#43 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

Cracking post Nanazola!

#44 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

My sister mentioned the other day that she smears the edges of her pots with Vaseline to deter slugs! They hate the smell (rather than, as I thought, falling off). :D

#45 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

Beer traps are also good. Submerge a plastic cup in the soil near your chosen plant and fill with beer. The following day you normaly find it full of drowned slugs and and snails.
Does work but is a bit of a waste of good beer.