• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

Right - here we go. A thread for footie chat for the next month or so...

Who will win?
Who will lose?
Will England go out on pens yet again?
What formation should England play?
Who is the backup North Korean left back?
Where is the best place to watch the WC on the Triangle?

More importantly, who should I put a bet on for top scorer? I managed to pick Milan Baros as a 50-1 shot in Euro 2004... I'd love to be able to pull something like that off again :rolleyes:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

Perfect. I was thinking we didn't have a footie thread yet and needed to set something up.

Who will win?

Spain

Who will lose?

Everyone else :D

Where is the best place to watch the WC on the Triangle?

I want to know this as well. Westow House, Patricks and Gautama have big screens. Who else though? Where will have the best atmosphere and where am I least likely to end up covered in beer?

I've just drawn Chile in the work sweepstake :angry:.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Well theres your money gone then Gekko!

We havent a chance. I feel i should veer away from the Capello 'love in' that is still happening. How short memories the Tabs have. FC promised he would only take fully fit players to the WC (Gareth Barry, Rio Ferdinand), he also said he would take players who were in form, regardless of what club team they play for (Michael Carrick?(Man Utd) Rio'five mins played' Ferdinand (Man Utd), Joe Cole (couldnt get into club team) Chelsea.

He should have taken Dawson (Spurs) and Parker (West Ham) who a) are both fit and B) have had outstanding seasons for their respective clubs. But play for less fashionable clubs.

We will struggle against the US in my opinion too.

Cant see far past Spain, but I'll have a cheeky one on outsiders Argentina. And of course can never rule out the Germans. Should get a good price as this is the most bland German team I have seen in years, plus they have no Ballack.

Second stage for England at most.

#4 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

Unfortunately I think we are going to have another 4 years of hurt myself but want us to win 100% !

The Alma has set up a tent viewing area in their garden but I'm sure most pubs will be gearing up for the event.

I wonder what will be the English song sung the most i bet it aint the new one for sure ! But you cant go rong with Vindaloo though !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

Anymore news on where to watch the game. We were thinking the Grape & Grain but I heard some not very nice things about the footie atmosphere in there the other night. Someone we know went to watch a game and said it was very aggressive with many expletives of a highly sexual nature being used :rolleyes:. Now I'm all for some banter and can swear with the best of them where football is concerned but would prefer somewhere with a little more class.

The Alma tent might be a goer although quite a confined space.

Edited by gekko, 11 June 2010 - 01:00 PM.

Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

I'll be turning the air blue... that's for sure.

I'm really looking forward to the vuvuzelas drowning out the awful England brass band! :jedi:

Follow me on Twitter

#7 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

France and Greece have both been awful. Hoping England don't add themselves to the list later tonight... Staying in tonight, but I've got my shirt on. :)

Follow me on Twitter

#8 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

Think we are going to try the Alma.

Agree, France and Greece shocking. As a ManYoo supporter, it was good to see Park Ji-Sung score though.

I wouldn't like to call the next game - with the current Argentinian manager anything could happen :blink:.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#9 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

Argentina arent exactly rocking my world either. Completely dominating Nigeria but without setting the world alight.

Historically, the group stages are really dull. No-one wants to lose a game (obvious I know)and thus are very defensive. Next stage is when the quality starts to kick in.

A bit off topic, but has anyone noticed how patronising some of the commentators are? Yesterday after SA had scored " A goal for all Africa" What a load of old plop, are you sure. They HATE each other. I'm sure Mustafa from Casablanca wasnt doing cartwheels in his kasbah.

Also please stop calling them Bafana Bafana too. They're called South Africa.

Oh and while I'm at it, I really want stick those vuvuzela's where the sun dont shine.

#10 thekraken

thekraken

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

Ndizani bafana ndizani!

#11 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

Feeling sorry for Rob Green but he'll come back stonger... I hope. Hoping for another draw between Algeria and Slovenia.

No need for England fans to get too depressed. Yet. I'm thinking we'll get to the quarters, and with a favourable draw, the semis.

And FIFA may ban the Vuvuzela. Would ruin the WC and cause much resentment in my view:
http://news.bbc.co.u...010/8737455.stm

Edited by Elmo, 13 June 2010 - 11:48 AM.
Vuvuzela link

Follow me on Twitter

#12 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

The semis feels quite optimistic at the moment but I hope you are right!

The current formation really isn't working for me though :(.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#13 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

And FIFA may ban the Vuvuzela. Would ruin the WC and cause much resentment in my view:
http://news.bbc.co.u...010/8737455.stm

I hope not! They nearly drowned out the sound of the English 'Brass Band' last night. First time I could enjoy an England game since Hoddle(?) invited the 'Brass Band' along to ruin England games

#14 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

The current formation really isn't working for me though :(.

4-4-2 against the weaker teams, 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 in the knockout stages where we'll come up against better opposition.

I hope not! They nearly drowned out the sound of the English 'Brass Band' last night. First time I could enjoy an England game since Hoddle(?) invited the 'Brass Band' along to ruin England games

Agree!! :lol:

Follow me on Twitter

#15 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

Sorry we were very poor if we come across any class sides who can attack us at speed we are in big big trouble !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig