• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#16 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

Very easy to make Green the scapegoat on Saturday.

The way Carragher got turned inside out on numerous occasions was frightening. In fact in was Green that got him out of jail on one occasion with a truly world class save.

Need to put J Cole on the left. Hopefully Barry will be fit to play in the holding midfielder role. If he's not fit then drop Lampard. Who yet again showed us that while you can shine in the premiership, doesnt necessarily mean you can do it on the world stage. Looked lost on Saturday. In fact I turned to a mate of mine during the game and seriously asked if Lampard was actually playing!

#17 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

....And FIFA may ban the Vuvuzela. Would ruin the WC and cause much resentment in my view...

Are they those things that make that infernal buzzing sound - like a million demented locusts on helium?

#18 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Well theres your money gone then Gekko!

We havent a chance. I feel i should veer away from the Capello 'love in' that is still happening. How short memories the Tabs have. FC promised he would only take fully fit players to the WC (Gareth Barry, Rio Ferdinand), he also said he would take players who were in form, regardless of what club team they play for (Michael Carrick?(Man Utd) Rio'five mins played' Ferdinand (Man Utd), Joe Cole (couldnt get into club team) Chelsea.

He should have taken Dawson (Spurs) and Parker (West Ham) who a) are both fit and B) have had outstanding seasons for their respective clubs. But play for less fashionable clubs.

We will struggle against the US in my opinion too.

Cant see far past Spain, but I'll have a cheeky one on outsiders Argentina. And of course can never rule out the Germans. Should get a good price as this is the most bland German team I have seen in years, plus they have no Ballack.

Second stage for England at most.

hmmmm... I dont think we were that bland... Actually...... ;0)
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#19 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

Yes, thats them SL. Just been announced on BBC that they will not be banning them after all. I hate them myself, I prefer to hear singing etc, but hey every cloud an all that, we cant hear Mark Lawrenson commentating...

#20 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

hmmmm... I dont think we were that bland... Actually...... ;0)

Ah, I see after your win, you've changed your avatar! sehr gut

German football IS bland. I've seen plenty of it over the years to form that opinion. Wouldnt get carried away with your 4-0 though. VERY average Australian side who had their only half decent player (cahill) very harshly sent off. I mean they had Richard Garcia up fron on his own. 2 seasons ago he was playing for Colchester United.....yes you did hear correctly Colchester United. Somehow got a move to Hull City and has scored 6 goals in two seasons.

Like I said though, you can never write them off. I also admire your (magnificently attired) coach for his selections. Klose and Podolski have had attrocious seasons domestically reaping about 10 goals between them, BUT the coach knows they will work together on the world stage. They then go and score the first two goals yesterday.

Any team that give the Aussies a good kicking will always be admired in the Railings household. Mrs Railings being half german also keeps me in line

#21 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:16 PM

ha ha ..... bland or not.... Feet firmly on the ground - BUT-I was surprised by their game anyways.

Jogi Loew believes in both, Klose and Podolski, and I believe that was definitely the right decision - although Klose could have scored a couple more times but didn't quite suceed. He needed the goal though...

Well, Thomas Mueller, who played really well yesterday was in the 3rd Liga only a short while ago - but hey, bland or not, it's the result which counts too.......

I am supporting England too but only second though... ;0) - it's not that their game was really exciting either, I wasn't exactly jumping up and down on saturday ....

The avatar is to stay until the end of the Worldcup - winning or not.... May it continue to be a fun WorldCup!

#22 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

Ah Loew, thats the fella. Couldnt quite remember his name. Thats exactly my point, he's picked who he thinks will fit well together at the WC, regardless of who they play for/form and it seems to work. Schweinsteiger is my favourite player for you at the moment though. Especially as Mrs Railings tells me it translates as 'Pig Climber' or 'Pig Mounter' or something like that!! Think of what that means what you will?!

In a first for an Englishman, Germany is officially my favourite country at the moment. Spent a lovely week last summer in Bremen and Sylt..loving the strandkorbs

#23 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

Ah Loew, thats the fella. Couldnt quite remember his name. Thats exactly my point, he's picked who he thinks will fit well together at the WC, regardless of who they play for/form and it seems to work. Schweinsteiger is my favourite player for you at the moment though. Especially as Mrs Railings tells me it translates as 'Pig Climber' or 'Pig Mounter' or something like that!! Think of what that means what you will?!

In a first for an Englishman, Germany is officially my favourite country at the moment. Spent a lovely week last summer in Bremen and Sylt..loving the strandkorbs

ha ha - Schweinsteiger, yes, very unfortunate name .... ;) but good player ...

Glad you had a good time - Very nice locations you went to - I am from the South - but I would love to have a strandkorb here - they are fab!

Enjoy the football! Can't quite support Italy after 96.... but may the best team win!

#24 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:20 PM

Italy are pants worse than England !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#25 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

Special message to SLR - hope you noticed me changing my avatar after today's Germany match ...... ;0)
not annoyed at all....

.....palacegirl

#26 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

Klose got 2 close on several occasions !

The highlight for me was the penalty miss only took 36 years for germany to miss a competitive penalty !

Bet if was against England it would have gone in the back of the net !

Dazza

Edited by Dazza, 18 June 2010 - 03:34 PM.

Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#27 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

from all angles if was clear that he touched the ball first not the player... should not have got a red...... but you are right. I was sooooo sure we would equalise when the penalty came up .... arrrrgggghhh - not used to that.. ;0)

#28 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

Just noticed the change PalaceGirl. Is that a misshapen sausage on there? Very apt!

I must say I'm disappointed in you. Keep it real, it aint over yet!

My praise of Podolski earlier must have put a curse on him. 8 shots, no goals and of course the penno.

Klose should have been sent off. Yes the first yellow may have seemed harsh but it was the foul he committed only a minute earlier that got him the first in the end.

I see Loew and his assistant were examples of pure sartorial elegance again. 9/10

And his hair was most shiny. I bet he takes two bottles into the shower. I really think he's worth it...

#29 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

I was sooooo sure we would equalise when the penalty came up .... arrrrgggghhh - not used to that.. ;0)

Sadly we are all too used to it :(.

It must be a nice feeling to be confident that when your country is awarded a penalty they will score. I don't remember a time when I felt that about England. Usually I have my head in my hands :D.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#30 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:28 PM

Speechless, angry, annoyed, bothered, not-bothered... Just... annoyed. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter