• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#31 Chris73

Chris73

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:56 PM

Going back to where to watch games - the Bridge House have tvs etc and are showing the football. They are not advertising it so it doesn't get too busy and would be a decent crowd.

I would have suggested downstairs at Numidie for the Algeria match, but probably a good job I didn't!

#32 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:00 AM

Most boring World Cup ever ! Worst England team ever ! But not a bad circus !

Thank god for the Rugby Boys who beat the Aussies on the same pitch we won the world cup 7 years ago thanks to Johnny again !

I'm going to stay at work on wednesday & watch the highlights later in the day if any !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#33 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

Definitely the most boring world cup, so lets hope it improves. Also getting bored of the 'South Africa Apartheid Lesson' which features somewhere during each broadcast.

Apologies for those who have already seen this, but the link below leads you to a special world cup version of Virtual Norwood
[VN Forum - World Cup Special]

#34 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

bye bye France....1-0

Agreed about the apartheid lesson being rammed down.

#35 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

Apologies for those who have already seen this, but the link below leads you to a special world cup version of Virtual Norwood
[VN Forum - World Cup Special]

I hadn't seen it! I love my new and improved VN. :lol:

#36 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

10 men, 2-0

Au revoir, quelle fromage (see what i did there?)

Air France, start your engines please

#37 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

Le Grande Sulk !

Mind you they have been by far the most entertaining team so far ( off the pitch off course)

#38 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

South Africa played well today and created loads of chances. Domenech wouldn't even shake the South African manager's hand :rolleyes:.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#39 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

Surprised no-one's mentioned the England situation here... maybe everyone's in collective mourning! I'm philosophical about it. It was bound to happen as many of our players are just not up to standard, but I won't blame Capello, especially after the way we qualified. I think the Prem League doesn't support the England Team enough, and the FA should hang their heads as well.

The players were simply awful. Playing for England does't look like it means anything to them anymore... It's all about the Champions League and Premier title. Time to watch the tennis, athletics and cricket and forget about football for a while... Well, until Dartford FC play their first game in the Blue Sq South in a couple of months!
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#40 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

OK, prepare for a long rant on everything that's wrong with the England team.

1) Too many games. Premiership teams play 38 league games, 2 domestic cup competitions, plus European games in some cases. By contrast, Bundesliga (because it's topical!) teams play 34 league games, 1 domestic cup competition. Again, European games on top of that, in some cases. So there is an element of burn-out. On the other hand, there are many Premiership players representing other countries who seem to be performing well.

2) The premier league. The Premier league cares about the Premier league, not the England team. It aims to be the best league in the world and so has to attract the best players in the world. That means it is much harder for English players to come through. You may think that 40%+ English players in the league means there should still be plenty to choose from - all playing at the highest level - but in reality most of these players aren't first team regulars (see point 3).

3) Premier league teams poaching young English talent. Premier league teams are constantly on the lookout for good young players. They don't want to pay full market rate once the players emerge at 22,23 years old. So they take a punt on loads of 16-18 year olds from the lower leagues. They pay a largely insignificant amount, partly because many players are not on professional contracts, so a small fee is decided by tribunal. The problem is that most of these players languish in the reserves, when they could have been breaking through in the first team at their old club. Their development stalls. Some get loaned out and some make it, but a large number end up on the scrapheap and wind up playing non-league football, because their development stalled at a crucial age.

If it was up to me, I wouldn't allow any club to approach a youth player (anyone under 23, according to the FA I think) from another club, unless he has been released or turned down an offer from that club. Then Premier league clubs would have to pay full market rate and the speculation on young talent would ease.

4) There are still many unknowns. Tiredness shouldn't mean that the likes of John Terry - who enjoys a huge reputation and salary - gets hopelessly pulled out of position, the way he did. I don't think that changing the manager will make any difference, if the players get the basics so hopelessly wrong.

#41 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

Good post Eagle

The media furore has left me bewildered somewhat though.

At 2-1 down, you have to chase the game. How many times in the past have we not done that? Brazil in 2002 springs to mind immediately. If we hadnt done, and lost 2-1 they would have been slaughtered regardless.

Though I did think it strange that Upson and Terry went up for Lampards free kick that led to a goal. Why did they need to do that when it was obvious Lampard was going to shoot.

I'm not trying to paper of the cracks but some perspective is needed. Also I dont care what anyone says if we were 2-2 at half time, it was anyones game. Even at 2-1 down we were the best side in the early 2nd half.

Capello shouldnt go either. Thanks to the Prem Leagues greed, he could hardly pick an initial squad of 30 English players from the Prem itself.

#42 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

We just wasnt good enough full stop !

But the real problem is even more deep rooted & we should firmly look at that spineless lot at the London FA .

The have also lost their CEO & vice CEO in the last 12 months so they have problems running a business let alone the football leagues.

The good news is we are holding a heads high in the Cricket & Rugby stakes !

#43 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

Thanks, SLR.

I suppose it's good to have numbers up if your shooting from a free kick, because the goalie might get to it, but spill it and then it's anyones. However, it was risky to have both centre backs up there. Not good if it should turn into a counter attack. It's useful to have Terry up for corners and indirect free kicks because he is big and good with his head. But direct? A bit iffy, yes.

Not sure I agree with you that it would have been anyones game at 2-2. Germany should have been 4-1 up - bar some poor finishing - by the time the disallowed goal came in. England were all at sea, the German attack split the defenders seemingly at will. It was clinical. In my view, an equaliser wouldn't have turned them into a good team suddenly. Just my view, of course. If you're in the game at 2-2, then you're in the game at 2-1 as well. You should have the same fight in you, a 1 goal disadvantage is hardly insurmountable.

From my point of view, I could not see England winning the game at any point after the first 5 minutes, even though they did show short spells of promise.

#44 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

David Blaine is gutted to see his record for doing nothing in a box for 54 days broken by the Englan football team !

Best English football Joke by a country mile !

#45 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

The England football team have announced they have a new coach.

It's picking them up from Heathrow today...

An amazing statistic/comment I saw on another board:

England haven't beaten a decent side in the knockout stages of a World Cup since 1966

Incidentally that is the only year England have ever made the final of a major competition.

I went through and checked and it is absolutely right! Why are expectations so high? Because of the quality of the Premier League?

Edited by centralhilleagle, 29 June 2010 - 10:24 AM.