Photo

Crystal Palace Transition Town

Crystal Palace Transition Town Community Fun Local Food Growing Sustainability Energy Fairtrade

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 fidel

fidel

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

I thought this might interest the local Bill Oddies' of Crystal Palace. Seems like a good idea.

http://www.crystalpa...transition-town

-
www.gunpowderstudios.co.uk

#2 andybod

andybod

Time-zone challenged

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

Yes it's true. A group of us (from all backgrounds with nobody looking remotely like Bill Oddie) are in the very early (officially known in Transition circles as "mulling") stages of establishing a "Crystal Palace Transition Town".

You can find some initial information about what this means on our holding website kindly hosted by Crystal Palace Local.

You can find out more on our Facebook Group or by following our Tweets on Twitter.

Watch out for local Green Drinks, coming very soon once we confirm a regular date, time and venue. We'll also be arranging some events to give everyone the opportunity at this early stage to get involved in establishing a Transition Initiative right here in Crystal Palace.

If you're interested in helping to make Crystal Palace a resilient and sustainable community in the face of climate change and after the end of the era of cheap oil then please get in touch through any of the routes and links above.

All the very best
Andy
Andy Bodycombe
Freelance Photojournalist
www.andybodycombe.com

#3 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

This is, in its way, quite wonderful...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-10676728
opposed to taking terrapins.

#4 jbphoto

jbphoto

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

This is, in its way, quite wonderful...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-10676728

Amazing isnt it, and in the light of yesterdays big lunch events in the uk, maybe next year the triangle should become one long dining table!

Check out my Interior Photography Blog at http://jamesbalston.com

#5 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Yes it's true. A group of us (from all backgrounds with nobody looking remotely like Bill Oddie) are in the very early (officially known in Transition circles as "mulling") stages of establishing a "Crystal Palace Transition Town".

You can find out more on our Facebook Group or by following our Tweets on Twitter.

Watch out for local Green Drinks, coming very soon once we confirm a regular date, time and venue. We'll also be arranging some events to give everyone the opportunity at this early stage to get involved in establishing a Transition Initiative right here in Crystal Palace.

If you're interested in helping to make Crystal Palace a resilient and sustainable community in the face of climate change and after the end of the era of cheap oil then please get in touch through any of the routes and links above.

All the very best
Andy

Growing everyday, regular Green Drinks every 2nd Wednesday of the month and "FREE" Green Screens, building links with local with business and engaging the community in lots of different and fun initiatives. Well worth getting involved. Follow the link to find out more:

Crystal Palace Transition Town

or join the Facebook group and follow CPTT on Twitter ( see above)

And don't forget it's Fairtrade Fortnight coming up. CPTT are kicking it off at 7.30pm on Sunday 26th February with a screening of the multiple award-winning ‘Black Gold...' at the Gipsy Hill Tavern.

:)

#6 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

all very ersthwhile and noble but pissing in the wind IMHO - middle class tosh - 7 billion humans have colonised the planet - a few street parties amongst the affluent isnt going to change anything - if people were serious about it I reckon they should only subscribe to being green and all that if they havent flown by airplane, driven a car or bought stuff they dont need in the last year - think I qualify on the first 2 - not sure about no 3!

#7 kibitzer

kibitzer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Its a bit concerning when the whole area has been flyposted with Transition Town posters! How green is that?

#8 doowron

doowron

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

Oh no ! Not another jolly good middle class wheeze ! There is a very good organisation called The Upper Norwood Improvement Team (UNIT) that looks after local issues including "green" concerns.

Going for over 25 years it facilitates the five boroughs linking up. So having the ear of the councillors from all five surely co ordinates these matters.

The current chair is a former Croydon councillor so knows how to get things done.

#9 kibitzer

kibitzer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Are you sure about that ?

#10 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

all very ersthwhile and noble but pissing in the wind IMHO - middle class tosh - 7 billion humans have colonised the planet - a few street parties amongst the affluent isnt going to change anything - if people were serious about it I reckon they should only subscribe to being green and all that if they havent flown by airplane, driven a car or bought stuff they dont need in the last year - think I qualify on the first 2 - not sure about no 3!

Every little helps Chewy and it looks like you are already making your own small contribution. It would be very naive to think CPTT is going to change the world but there is certainly no harm in raising awareness of some of the global challenges/issues facing us and building social capital and capacity in the community and developing a sense of local resilience i.e. rediscovering the communities we used to rely on. That can only be a positive for Crystal Palace.

CPTT has already set up a number of project groups - Local and Fair, Food and Growing, Waste, Skills Share and Energy and there are some good initiatives off the ground - i.e a Community Garden in Westow Park with regular digging/growing days, Garden Sharing, Draught Busting workshops..............And, anyone can bring and set up their own inititatives with help from members which is brilliant.

CPTT is open to everyone in the community. One of the ways of promoting these activities is through posters as not everyone has access to the internet, but I wasn't aware that the whole area had been flyposted Kibitzer? Atleast the flyers are on recycled paper ;) and I'll make sure we get all the old ones taken down.

It would be great though if there were a few more community notice boards in the Triangle other than in shops/Phoenix Centre. Perhaps this is something the Upper Norwood Improvement Team (UNIT) could pick up, and, yes, George Filby has been the Chair of UNIT's interim committee since the AGM last November when the old committee stood down. CPTT gave a presentation to UNIT back in 2010 and was very well received.

Hope to see some new faces at our events which are all free btw. :) :) Keep your eyes peeled for updates.

#11 doowron

doowron

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

So making the area look like a third world country with tatty bits of paper flyposted everywhere makes it ok as its on recycled paper !
Just look at the metal pillars leading down to Sainsburys, what started off as a plea for a lost cat or dog as now the norm for every dodgy music venue, front room entrepreneurs and a wayside pulpit for the inflict my nonsense on the world brigade.

Who recycles the paper ?-Yes councils. Who runs councils ? Yes Councillors. What do councillors represent? Yes political parties.

Who elects the polititions? Yes the people. So why can we not let our elected representative represent us ? If the right on residents want to do something why not join an establised party to help make things happen, instead of inflicting thier outdated 1960's dogma on the majority.

We have seen the result of listening to local crackpots in the iron structure at the top of the park-supposedly the first foot of the new Crystal Palace.

Wolfie Smith lives !

#12 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

Jeepers, dooron, that's a bit of a spittle flecked rant! I'm sure it was a moment of temporary madness as you raised your fist at the sky and hollared at your imaginary enemies...

#13 kibitzer

kibitzer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

It may be something to do with the thinner atmosphere up here.

#14 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

So making the area look like a third world country with tatty bits of paper flyposted everywhere makes it ok as its on recycled paper !
Just look at the metal pillars leading down to Sainsburys, what started off as a plea for a lost cat or dog as now the norm for every dodgy music venue, front room entrepreneurs and a wayside pulpit for the inflict my nonsense on the world brigade.

Must say I can see were doowron's coming from when it comes to the fly posting. It's unsightly, encourages a proliferation of this anti-social, environmentally unfriendly, activity - I would have thought that flyposting is contrary to the ethics and vision of CPTT.

I also note someone has been flyposting save our library posters on said posts and empty shop windows - when I kick-started library campaign back in October I made point of only displaying posters in bonafide locations.

Let's hope the great and the not-so-good take note!

Campaign for the Prevention of Flyposting
www.facebook.com/CPF.com
www.twitter.com/CPF.com

#15 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

I have deep respect for most community organisers but Ideologically I'm with doowron on this. If there's any rant to be spittle-flecked, it more often originates from the passionate idealists than the elected representatives.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crystal Palace, Transition Town, Community, Fun, Local, Food, Growing, Sustainability, Energy, Fairtrade