Photo

Urban Orient

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this restaurant?

1. Excellent (21 votes [51.22%])

Percentage of vote: 51.22%

2. Good (13 votes [31.71%])

Percentage of vote: 31.71%

3. Average (4 votes [9.76%])

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

4. Poor (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

URBAN ORIENT

74 Westow Street, SE19 3AF
0208 616 4511
email: urbanorient@gmail.com

Edited by Summit Lover, 19 July 2010 - 04:11 PM.

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

We tried out Urban Orient yesterday evening, and very much enjoyed the experience. Great, laid back surroundings, attentive and friendly service and a simple but delicious menu. I had chicken sate to start, and a beef and rice dish to follow - v good and v filling.

#3 Anna Leigh

Anna Leigh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:38 PM

Lovely Vietnamese coffee too. Amoratic and delicious. I highly recommend.

#4 jonh

jonh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

Popped in yesterday. Nice laid-back vibe, great Vietnamese coffee (even if it does take 10 minutes to filter into your glass), but the food was a bit average. I had a summer roll, which was a bit chewy, only had one prawn and very little else other than rice noodles. The wontons in my Pho were really nice, but the soup could have done with some fresh herbs to liven it up a bit.

They have free wifi, which is good. I'll go back again, as it's a nice spot and they're very friendly.

#5 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

Lovely Vietnamese coffee too. Amoratic and delicious. I highly recommend.

It is indeed. I would normally sooner sup drain cleaner than black coffee, but the V coffee was great - almost a vanilla taste (but that might be my freaky taste buds).

#6 Helen B

Helen B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:57 PM

Checked it out on Monday. It is very definitely a cafe, not a restaurant, and I think would be a lovely, chilled and quirky place for a drink and a snack...but probably not a full meal.

Agree about the summer roll - was almost entirely noodle, and none of the real mint/citric zestiness I'm used to. Xiao long bao (Chinese soup filled dim sum) were a little tough, and also managed to break, so I lost most of my stock :(

I had pork bun - vermicelli, salad and grilled pork. OK, but no real heat.

The success of the night was the vietnamese curry, with baguette for mopping up. Really flavoursome, though padded out a bit too much with potatoes.

Service is super keen and charming, so we'll be back, but I think next time it'll just be for coffee and some of the banh mi (Vietnamese baguettes).

#7 clairy

clairy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

Went here for lunch today and was very impressed. We went for the Vietnamese baguettes, I had beef and lemongrass and my fella had Vietnamese sausage. They were so tasty! I also ordered some siu mai which were ok. My friend had a salad, which also looked lovely. The staff were so friendly and helpful. We had two babies with us and they were fine with that. My new favourite place for lunch.

#8 katsku

katsku

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

Had dinner there last night, were impressed by the friendly service and nice atmosphere. The food was simple but tasty. Maybe the veg curry could have had a couple more veg in it, but the dim sum we had for dessert was lovely and the coffee was superb. They also do Vietnamese soft drinks like aloe vera juice which was really nice. I'm tempted to try it for lunch in the near future.

#9 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:30 PM

It's worth pointing out that Urban Orient also do take aways, although not deliveries.
I had the Vietnamese chicken curry and rice, very tasty, and the prawn spring rolls (not the deep fried variety that you normaly get in Chinese takeaways) were again, very good, although a wee bit on the small side for what they cost.

#10 Cavenagh

Cavenagh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

Hi

Visited the cafe last night - had a decent meal and would return again. Fail to understand why they don't put their menu in the window, or allow BYO - they are missing a trick! Read my full review here:

http://tinykitchenta...ban-orient.html

#11 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

I went there on Saturday. Friendly and keen service. We opted for take out (chicken curry, which was very nice, and spring rolls, which were small!). Will be back no doubt, but for nibbles rather than a full meal.

#12 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

I was there on Saturday, too. Love the decor, music and ambience (though they need to secure the hazardous trailing wires on the stairs and replace the light in one of the loos, plus the amateurish handwritten signs in the window do them no favours) and my lunch was delicious. I opted for a 'fresh roll' (l would have liked more than one prawn, but the flavour was fab), chicken satay (very good), custard steamed bun (delish, though not sure the warm outside and cold inside was traditional...) and aloe vera juice (mmm!). Service was excellent and the owner spoke to everyone as they arrived and left and was clearly closely monitoring what was going on. I'll be back - a great addition to the Triangle! :)

#13 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

http://www.facebook....123047404401546

#14 petern

petern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

We were there on Saturday a week ago (July 31st) and a great time was had by two adults and two kids. The kids sat on very comfy chairs in a corner and munched stuff that kids munch (satay, spring rolls, that kind of thing) as well as some pho. The two adults had pho and some other dishes the names of which escape me. The food was fresh and very good, and the overall ambiance very nice. The Vietnamese coffee is great as well. With the free wifi, I am seriously considering moving my office there.

#15 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

do the stairs lead down to another eating area?