Photo

Urban Orient

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this restaurant?

1. Excellent (21 votes [51.22%])

Percentage of vote: 51.22%

2. Good (13 votes [31.71%])

Percentage of vote: 31.71%

3. Average (4 votes [9.76%])

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

4. Poor (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

do the stairs lead down to another eating area?

No, just the loos and kitchen. :)

#17 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

this is a new string to the golden triangle... really enjoyed eating everything in sight last night!

#18 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

A bit off topic...

But why is the heading to this post in capital letters. It almost makes it look urgent or something is wrong, for which we all know is not the case, as from the numerous positive reviews? :blink:

#19 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

But why is the heading to this post in capital letters.

Good point. Fixed.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#20 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

I popped into Urban Orient last night on my own based on the good recommendations from here. It had a really nice chilled about vibe about it and I felt really comfortable eating there on my own. I had a very tasty mango and aloe vera juice and some yummy dim sum. I will definitely be going back soon.

:)

#21 Sico

Sico

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

My wife and I ate here. Friendly staff, good music and quirky decor. The food was pretty good. Nice to have dim sum in CP! Mains were tasty. It's quite a small menu - hopefully they will expand it especially when you compare to places on Kingsland Road. The self order system seems unnecessary - seeing they have great staff they could take orders from the table. Also feels weird paying before we've eaten - it's not Nandos!

Great to have this restaurant in CP - we'll definitely be back.

#22 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

My partner was going to pop in on Sunday but it was full. Wonder if this place will end up being as successful as Domali.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#23 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

love it already - friendly staff, nice ambience, quirky furniture and ofcourse great food.
Its also a BYO (Bring your own alcohol) which means that it all turns out to be a nice cheap night :) hoorah!
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#24 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

love it already - friendly staff, nice ambience, quirky furniture and ofcourse great food.
Its also a BYO (Bring your own alcohol) which means that it all turns out to be a nice cheap night :) hoorah!

Ah - glad they have brought that apsect in (BYO). I am more inclined to go for an evening meal now :) (hic)

#25 AnnaMonkey

AnnaMonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

I went for lunch on Saturday with the other half. I had the bahn mi and he had the wonton soup and ... some dim sum, i can't remember which ones! i thought it was okay, but a little pricey for what you got, and it could have done with more fresh herbs!
the staff were super friendly and helpful though :)

#26 woodstock30

woodstock30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:06 PM

I went for lunch on Saturday with the other half. I had the bahn mi and he had the wonton soup and ... some dim sum, i can't remember which ones! i thought it was okay, but a little pricey for what you got, and it could have done with more fresh herbs!
the staff were super friendly and helpful though :)

I went there for lunch today and had the new Spicy beef noodle soup and my partner had another new dish of slow cooked pork belly in a caramel sauce. It was fantastic! Hi annamonkey just a note that if you go to Hong Kong you don't find fresh herbs with Wonton Noodles. you won't find that in Chinatown either. It's supposed to be a simple dish. If you have vietnamese pho noodles then you will get fresh herbs. Authentic is what they are selling, authentic is what you are getting. Go urban orient!!!

#27 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

Dropped in for the first time on Saturday afternoon. We didn't have a proper meal, just a Vietnamese frappe plus custard bun for me and a carrot and apple juice for my other half. My partner said the carrot juice was 'the best she'd ever had' if it's possible to enthuse about carrot like that :D. I'd definitely go back to have something more substantial. I think someone already mentioned this but it would be good to have table service. They seem to have plenty of staff and they were already coming over to the tables to hand out the little sheets of paper so you can tick what you want so they may as well just take your order.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#28 SpeakersCorner

SpeakersCorner

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

Just come back from lunch at Urban Orient. Some friends of mine so enthused about the place I had to give it a go. And I was not disappointed.

For a start the place is gorgeous and the staff extremely friendly and attentive (I agree, no need for the DIY menu sheet thing when they come over so regularly).

And the food! I had today's special of shark curry with rice. It was truly delicious. I washed it down with two glasses of their Vietnamese coffee. I needed the second because, not realising how naturally sweet it is, added my usual two sugars to the first. Far too sweet. I had it straight up next time round and it was perfect.

I will most definitely return. Often.

#29 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:41 PM

Divine. Tried this place tonight. We were prepared to be underwhelmed purely due to the hype but it's correct. Go now.

Mr Spoon said he felt like a GI and I felt like I should have a 1930s/40s dress on with red lipstick. Inspired decor.

#30 randomv

randomv

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

I had a very enjoyable lunch in here on Saturday with my partner and young son. We loved the relaxed atmosphere, thought it was great value for money and the food was yummy! My son particularly enjoyed his fresh prawn roll. What a brilliant addition to the Triangle!!