Photo

Urban Orient

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this restaurant?

1. Excellent (21 votes [51.22%])

Percentage of vote: 51.22%

2. Good (13 votes [31.71%])

Percentage of vote: 31.71%

3. Average (4 votes [9.76%])

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

4. Poor (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:59 AM

Been back already btw. I only lasted until Monday this week when I caved and had to return for another basket of wonton balls. They didnít disappoint and I hope they never will.

#32 MissLizzie

MissLizzie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:55 AM

We finally paid a visit to Urban Orient last night and LOVED it! What a great laid back bistro like atmosphere. After a long day at work it was the perfect place to eat and unwind. The food was delicious (although I cannot remember the names of my dishes). Fingers crossed that once they are well and truly settled into the triangle that they apply for a drinks licence!

#33 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

Really like this place. So far I've had:

A vietnamese coffee (nicer than I expected and interesting for a change)
An aloe/strawberry juice (refreshing and goes great with the food)
A tofu vietnamese baguette (delicious, perfect lunch snack)
Bun with lemongrass pork (pronounced boon, and not bun-like at all - a tasty dish of rice noodles, melt-in-the-mouth pork and shredded salad, served with fish sauce. Completely delicious. Personally I like a bit more chilli heat, but maybe that's not authentically Vietnamese.)

The service is super-friendly and the vibe is quite extraordinary - kind of thirties' Saigon, slightly dark, decadent, a bit colonial, complete with wistful, thirties-type songs in Chinese (or Vietnamese, pardon my ignorance). To achieve all that in what is essentially a small Victorian front room is quite something. The buzzy 'Urban Orient' name is a bit misleading in that respect.

All in all, a genuinely different eaterie with great-tasting food.

#34 K_H

K_H

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

I've been meaning to try this place since it opened and only last night went in for the first time. It is fantastic. The decor, the service, the food were all faultless. The music was at just the right level to create an atmosphere but not be intrusive. My favourite details are the old typewriter in the window where people have added comments and the fabulous old till on the counter.

Well done everyone involved - I hope to be back very soon.

#35 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:49 AM

I agree - great food and a wonderful ambience. My only suggestion would be to remove the proliferation of hand-written and printed signs in the window, which lower the tone a bit. The menu should be sufficient.

#36 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

Went last night with Mrs Elmo, and the food, service and decor are all amazing. It does feel a bit quick, it's not somewhere you'd spend hours chatting to your mates. But for a bite to eat before heading on somewhere else for drinks, it's perfection.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#37 Woodvale

Woodvale

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:07 AM

Having read the other reviews, we've been looking forward to trying out Urban Orient, and finally did so this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Very friendly and helpful staff, the menu offered sufficient choice for us all, and even though my daughter would only try the spring rolls (it's not Chinese unless they have Sweet and Sour Pork! [it's Vietnamese, dear!!]), the other three of us each had different mains.

The service was fast, the food appeared very quickly, so we were in and out in just over an hour, but we didn't feel rushed in any way. I had the special Spicy Beef soup, which left me not feeling hungry until quite late this evening. My wife had the Char Siu with rice and my son the Roast Duck with rice. All were very good.

My only (slight) criticism is that the drinks are a bit pricey - nearly £2 for a soft drink. There should be a cheaper option even if it's only a can of coke.

Would I go back? Definitely.

#38 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

Wow. Great place. Went in fatigued afterB a hard long day and it was just what was needed - very friendly, cheerful, attentive service, delicious interesting food, reasonable prices....in an atmosphere of fun decor. Felt ccomletely rejuvenated afterwards. Will defintely be going back, regularly.

Had the Kim Chi dumplings (exquisite and delicate) and green pancakes(ok, but not special for me) for starters, the vietnamese curry (excellent) andd the fish skewers with rice noodles (scrumptious). Its BYOB (wih corkage charge).

#39 benthechef

benthechef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

I have given this place soooo many chances. First time I visited we were served dim sum still frozen in the middle. Second time the Banh mi was stale and had hardly any filling. Third time (guess I'm a sucker for the "third time lucky" rule)my sister and I were served Beef Pho made with gone off beef. Considering the prices are so high, the ordering system is a faff and the lack of quality and food hygiene standards I dont understand why this place gets such a good rating. We just jump on the East London line and go to Cafe east in Surrey Quays now where the food is simply incredible and half the price.

#40 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

I'm allergic to peanuts, so have decided that this place is not for me. But I know lots of people who have been here and enjoyed it immensely.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#41 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:10 PM

Always been jolly good when I have been there :D

#42 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

I've been back since my first comment and also had a great time with excellent food. Not to doubt benthechef - his username indicates he knows his stuff in the food department. Perhaps this place is still a little uneven in quality and I've been lucky and benthechefs been unlucky. Dunno. I'd still go back readily for a nice, easygoing delicious fast but comfortable meal.

#43 schubert82

schubert82

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

It's a really pleasant place. Lovely pho, good baguettes and coffee is also excellent. Plus the atmosphere is really relaxed and stuff very friendly. Recommended!

#44 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

I had a nice dinner in there yesterday - spicy beef with noodles, we also ordered several bits to share and start with (spring rolls, won ton, satay), I love the quirkiness of the place ,..... and the fact that I can bring my own wine, I am more than happy to pay corkage...

will definitely come back
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#45 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:03 PM

I have never been inside, but looking through the window it looks very nice. But I had a quick look at the menu and it looked all very meaty. Any vegetarians been yet? And how much is the "corkage"? (what a wonderful name for a tax they put on your own wine because they don't have the license...)