Photo

Urban Orient

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this restaurant?

1. Excellent (21 votes [51.22%])

Percentage of vote: 51.22%

2. Good (13 votes [31.71%])

Percentage of vote: 31.71%

3. Average (4 votes [9.76%])

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

4. Poor (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 fat boy

fat boy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:36 PM

Must say it's one of my favourite places to eat, so genuinely reminds me of travelling in vietnam and Cambodia. Have always been very boring and munched my way through the dim sums, but when you can splash out on a nice couple of bottles of wine from the supermarket it makes eating your way through all the dim sums with some friends seem like even better value!

#47 rsatt

rsatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

Lovely atmosphere and friendly staff, but they are let down by the quality of their food. I had a Banh Mi and was very disappointed. The bread was chewy, not with a crisp crust as it should be. There was more mayo than pork. It had bean sprouts (shudder) instead of daikon. A Banh Mi is a thing of beauty, which they have not managed to achieve. Their drinks are fab though. Very refreshing.

#48 Chris Palace

Chris Palace

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

The surroundings are nice but the food is well overpriced. Went in once and had a few little things to eat which were OK but uninspiring at best, and the bill seemed astronomical.

There are cheaper, better places around the triangle to get oriental food, unless you really, really want to eat here.

#49 Maz

Maz

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

Knowing it closes at 9.00 on a Sunday we went to eat there tonight at 8.00 for the very first time.

Mightily pissed off that the door was locked and they were just closing the blinds.

Probably won't be tempted again.
Gabba Gabba Hey
פɐqqɐ פɐqqɐ Hǝʎ

#50 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

We popped in for the first time yesterday on impulse (excellent timing as it meant missing the thunderstorm) and were very impressed. Good tasty food, with a nice home-cooked feel to it. Very friendly staff. And we loved the lime and ginger drink. We filled up and it seemed like good value to us. We'll go back.

#51 Galena

Galena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

My boyfriend and I went to Urban Orient this evening, having been many times before and thoroughly enjoyed it, but tonight's experience was unfortunately far from what we were expecting. Can anyone tell us if the management has changed? When we arrived many of the trinkets and decorations had gone and the staff all appeared to be completely new.
When we ordered we found that around half of the dishes were not available or no longer on the menu, including the popular char sui bun. We were told that they "were expecting a delivery next week' which surprised me as I thought they were freshly prepared on site. After paying for our choices we were told that one of our dishes was unavailable and were recommended the summer bun. This was horrible.
The quality of the dishes were not to the previous standards that we have enjoyed at Urban Orient, being as they were overcooked and dry. Unfortunately it would seem that a great little establishment is no longer the place it once was. A great shame and we will not be coming back.

#52 woodstock30

woodstock30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

After reading Galena's post I think that I don't need to say much more but i will add that I feel a big change in the atmosphere too and yes those delightful decorations that made it feel so homely have gone also brought suspicions to my mind, which is why I came on the VN to find out if anyone else knew anything. I think that you may be right as usually I see the lady owner there everytime I go there, I don't remember any time that I've been there and she hasn't so a little strange. I have however seen them make chicken buns in the past as they left the kitchen door open so I had a peek, so surely you must be misinformed with that especially if there is new staff.

#53 jonh

jonh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

It has indeed been taken over by new owners. They've only been running it for 10 days, so it might be worth giving them a chance, although our baguettes were not as good as before when we went in there last week.

They're applying for a licence, which is long overdue. BYO is nice and cheap for customers, but I suspect the missing revenue could have helped the last owners make a bit more money from it and still be there today.

#54 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

AMAZING !!!! We went today. The dim sums were pretty awesome (and affordable). The soup was gorgeous. All taste super fresh and nice. How did I miss this before? Dgoing again (and again) and happy I found a place where I can get very good dim sums ...
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#55 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

Went in on Friday night after a long absence as didn't want anything too heavy.

Food was excellent - we both very much enjoyed it. Had soem dim sum and chicken satay for starters which were great and our mains were very nice too. Will be going back.

#56 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

As it's been taken over by new owners, has the ordering system changed?  Although the previous people were friendly, I always found it odd that someone would come up and explain the system to you when they could have just as quickly taken your order.

#57 Magnolia

Magnolia

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

Anyone know why they've been closed for the last few weeks?