Photo

ANTEP MANGAL

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this restaurant?

1. Excellent (2 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Good (2 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

New Turkish Restaurant (where the Olive Tree used to be).

Antep Mangal
179, High St, London, SE20 7PF

Please vote to let us know how you rate the restaurant.

Edited by Summit Lover, 19 July 2010 - 04:17 PM.

#2 Cllr John Getgood

Cllr John Getgood

John Getgood

• Sponsors
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:27 PM

A more basic, traditional, Turkish resturant than the Olive, which I liked. Menu is kebab based with a few casserole type dishes. Various pide dishes as well. Reasonable value, decent quality, friendly and busier than Olive when I went last week. Now selling alcohol. Worth a try.

Cllr John Getgood
Penge & Cator

You can meet your Penge & Cator councillors on the first Saturday of every month,

outside the Post Office on Penge High Street, between 10.45 and 12.15. 
www.pengeandcatorcouncillors.co.uk

#3 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

Went in there last night. Pretty good and very reasonable prices. I had starter, stew and beer for 12. The waiter threw in free olives too. It was reasonably busy and for me the quality was better than the Olive.

#4 Lorlorkins

Lorlorkins

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

Firstly I should confess that I love Turkish food; it's one of the great cuisines of the world as far as I'm concerned, so I was excited to hear that there might be a traditional type place near to CP. A friend and I ate here last night and we were both seriously impressed. The style is traditional, low key, ottoman type lokanta or canteen - which makes for a very relaxed atmosphere. Service is informal, fast and friendly; there was no problems with us lingering over our various courses.

The menu is very traditionally Turkish. A good range of hot and cold meze to start off with - we had a cold meze platter to share for two, which was basically completely delicious (and all vegetarian) and the bread we soaked it up with had that dangerous moreish-ness of being ultra soft in the middle, warm and slightly crisp on the outside. Main courses - lamb sis and cipura (sea bream) - barbecued perfectly. My fish was really huge and enormously tasty, the lamb sis was apparently "perfect". We had it with truly yummy pilav - Turkish rice - and a substantial crisp salad. For dessert there was a choice of baklava (again, very good) and a really creamy cold rice pudding (sutlac) that wasn't as sweet as others I've had, and definitely benefited from that. Washed down with an ultra cheap bottle of tasty house red (no choice on wines), and it came to below 40 for two. Next time I'll be back for the Turkish coffee and cay/ tea!

#5 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:26 PM

Finally got round to visiting this place at the weekend, and now we're wishing we'd gone sooner. Really good, fresh food, nice people - and only £41 for dinner for two, including two bottles of wine (ahem...) and a litre of sparkling water. And as an added bonus, there's a belly dancer on Friday and Saturday evenings. Nothing too cheesy - she does a lively and fun routine through the middle of the restaurant, and then changes and leaves.

What stopped us eating more at the Olive was that they didn't take cards - don't know how any restaurant could survive these days on cash-only. Antep Mangal takes cards. And we'll be back.

Edited by NickJ, 18 October 2010 - 05:27 PM.

#6 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:28 AM

lovely meze last night and very busy... life in penge yet !

#7 ptg23

ptg23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Decent food here - just a shame they no longer do shawarma kebabs and have replaced it with doner. Rest of the menu is decent enough though and they now deliver.

#8 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

But they've changed name, yet again! What does it mean?
Agreed they are good. We are glad to have a nice Turkish restaurant in the area.

#9 ptg23

ptg23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

whats it called now? I hadn't noticed the name change!

#10 ptg23

ptg23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Now called "ANGEL".