• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 davidpuppet

davidpuppet

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

st lukes in west norwood will be running the alpha course from wed' 29th sept. www.alpha.org www.stlukes4u.org

#2 grahamb

grahamb

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

Glass half full eh David?

#3 davidpuppet

davidpuppet

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:08 PM

Glass half full eh David?

not at all, it's almost overflowing!

Edited by davidpuppet, 02 September 2010 - 04:10 PM.

#4 grahamb

grahamb

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:35 PM

Good answer!

#5 CPAndy

CPAndy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:38 PM

There is more to life than religious courses. I saw a leaflet for a day of unity organised by a church locally. Strikes me as ironic that the Evangalist churches are always talking about unity when they are so divisive particularly over allowing women to preach. Strange unity that discriminates against 1/2 the population of the world but hey god moves in mysterious ways apparently.

#6 davidpuppet

davidpuppet

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

fair point to raise. as i understand it the alpha course is a short introduction to the christian faith, including a talk, small group discussions, and with an opportunity to ask questions and express opinions.

#7 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:00 AM

I was handed a leaflet at Penge East the other evening, and it would have gone straight in the bin if it were not for the fact that the leaflet hander-outer's eyes had lit up when I accepted it (not knowing what it was.) I didn't want to crush his hopes.
My background is anglo-catholic (aka having your cake and eating it on the Christian front) although lapsed in church attending terms for some time, so the AC is very much not my sort of thing. But each to his or her own. Talking of unity, and I hope this is not getting too controversial, the 'high' church down my road has a mission statement, or whatever you call it, to oppose women priests. There's anglo-catholicism for you!
Rachel
My link

#8 davidpuppet

davidpuppet

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:27 AM

'lapsed churchgoer' seems quite common. i wonder why? i read that abraham lincoln once said 'if all the people who fell asleep in church on sunday morning were laid out end to end.....they would be a great deal more comfortable'. it does appear to be the case that there are divisions within some churches in regard to the ordination of women and other issues though. such debates shouln't detract from the unity of becomming 'children of God' though.

#9 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

I like the quote.
On my part lapsed because I haven't found anywhere to go that I feel comfortable with, plus laziness. It's like needing to keep your favourite CD's near the CD player - if you don't, you rarely play them, or is that just me? (probably!) i.e. it needs to be near by and your sort of thing.
A priest who can give a decent sermon helps. The one the church of which I attempted to go to in WN droned on for an hour without saying anything remotely stimulating or intelligent.
Rachel
My link

#10 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

Whatever one's degree of faith, this event at 8 pm this evening at St John's, Auckland Road, looks well worth while making it along to:

An audience with
Nick Baines,
Bishop of Croydon
speaking on

LOVERS IN A DANGEROUS TIME

Taking the title from a Bruce Cockburn song, bishop, author,
musician, broadcaster & Scouser, the Rt Revd Nick Baines will be
speaking about Politics, Faith & Society. There will be open
discussion and afterwards, Nick will be available for signing his
latest books. Refreshments available.

WEDNESDAY 8TH SEPTEMBER AT 8PM
AT ST JOHNíS, 2 SYLVAN RD, SE19 2RX
vicar@stjohn-uppernorwood.org.uk
opposed to taking terrapins.

#11 davidpuppet

davidpuppet

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

[quote name='RachelF' date='08 September 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1283954079' post='89576']
I like the quote.
On my part lapsed because I haven't found anywhere to go that I feel comfortable with, plus laziness. It's like needing to keep your favourite CD's near the CD player - if you don't, you rarely play them, or is that just me? (probably!) i.e. it needs to be near by and your sort of thing.
A priest who can give a decent sermon helps. The one the church of which I attempted to go to in WN droned on for an hour without saying anything remotely stimulating or intelligent.
[/quotei've heard other people say something similar about finding the right church. i also read once that john lennon stopped going to church when he got told off for laughing. i think laughing is allowed these days though.

#12 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

Got to agree about the sermon, thats gotta be right otherwise I switch off. I have recently started going again and the priest down at St Margaret Clitherow is actually quite funny, not too serious and makes his sermons relevant to real life, not like some who are just that bit too pie in the sky and 'spiritural'.

I think half the problem is that the younger generation dont seem to be coming through in the priesthood hence the over reliance on the older priests.

#13 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

I will say this only once............................................RELIGION IS THE OPIUM OF THE MASSES.......
Or! "All I said was - That piece of Halibut was good enough for Jehoviah!"

I REST MY CASE M'LUD

#14 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:48 AM

I popped along to Rev Bev's gaff on Wednesday to check out the Bishop of Croydon's gig. He has an interesting style combining stand-up comedy with question time. St John's is an awesome place and will make an atmospheric setting for the cinema campaign fund raising event on 16th October. It's 18c, all stonework and wood, with domed cielings that must be easily 50m high, statues of godly things, stained glass windows and an incredible organ (no Dazza not that sort of organ!).

One of the things the Bishop spoke about was how he sees "fundamental atheism" as the biggest threat to religion today. First time I've heard that phrase but I would have thought fundamentalism full stop is the biggest threat. I have not heard of any atheists suicide attacks on churches but maybe that's because the religous fundamentalists (think the clue's in the last part of the word) have that corner of the market well and truly covered.It's a mad mad world :unsure:

#15 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

Wasn't there but the atheism I guess he's referring to is the current line-up of Dawkins-esque atheism which is middle class dinner party atheism in the main.

It doesn't really serve any threat to much to be honest. Unless being bored to death counts as a threat.

Edited by Uncle Wilf, 10 September 2010 - 11:07 AM.

Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales