Photo

Cafe Latino - Mi cocina es tuya

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this restaurant?

1. Excellent (9 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. Good (3 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

Cafe Latino

61 Westow Street, Crystal Palace
London SE19 3RW

020 8771 4078

www.micocinaestuya.vpweb.co.uk

Please vote and let us know how you rate this cafe!

We have had breakfast/lunch here frequently since it opened: Lovely food, friendly service, cosy atmosphere and the window seats are great for people watching! (still haven't spotted Wilfy or Albert though...).

My current favourite - spicy shredded chicken, black beans, fried plantains, rice and one of their cute little corn bread thingies (the name of which escapes me) on the side. Scrumptious :P

Edited by Elmo, 19 September 2010 - 07:58 AM.

#2 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:29 PM

Popped in here for an afternoon snack today. A really friendly welcome from owner Alexis, who is passionate about promoting his home country and its food. Fantastic chicken empanadas and cocada (a thick coconut drink like liquid Bounty - sublime!). I'll definitely go back for the shredded beef or chicken or the South American scrambled eggs. It's so authentic, we were the only English speakers in there! :)

#3 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:59 AM

This place is an absolute treasure. Authentic, delicious, friendly. Thanks Alexis!

#4 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:39 PM

Lovely entry on Visit London:
http://blog.visitlon...crystal-palace/

I really, really need to pay this place a visit.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#5 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

This place is absolutely fantastic.
The shredded chicken with beans and plantains is perfect. Felt like a trip to the Caribbean.

#6 Jens

Jens

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

I love this place!!

It's very authentic, and the food is incredible delicious, and the owners are really really friendly. I went there a couple of times for breakfast, and also for lunch, and it is always very lovely.

Try the "doce tres leches" cake for dessert. its really great (it has cinemon in it and tastes slightly like rice pudding, so if you don't like one of these things you might not like it, but if you do, you will for sure love it!!)

#7 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

New review recently discovered is here by Kasper Seward in the Croydon Citizen http://thecroydoncit...crystal-palace/

"Impressed with my tasty first course, I decided to stay longer and order a main meal from the menu. After some discussion with Alexis I decided on the pabellon de carne, a plate of rice, black beans, fried plantain and more of the shredded beef I had enjoyed so much with my beef empanada starter. The meal arrived quickly, a generous serving neatly arranged on a large white plate. The black beans in sauce proved a good companion to the shredded beef, and while fried plantain was a new food for me, it was delicious – a sweet, soft, fried potato chip being the best way to describe it. £8.00 for a full plate of food seemed a respectable price for such a hearty meal."

#8 BLM

BLM

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

Looove this place! Delicious unusual food, super friendly, superb coffee, convivial atmosphere.

#9 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

Actually went in on Sunday with Mr Seward for some dinner. I was very impressed. Empanadas tasty, main course of shredded beef, black beans and rice and plantains perfect. And then...the milk pudding at the end was amazing!! Never had anything like it before. Was like tiramisu texture, but sweet and like custard or rice pudding and then the cinnamon. Very friendly owner and lots of Spanish speaking customers. Coffee good too. Will definitely be in there again for another visit and cannot believe I have not tried before now.

#10 Booroo

Booroo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:57 AM

I'm so surprised that there aren't more reviews of this place. My GF and I have been going here fairly regularly since it opened and it is an absolute belter. The food is amazing and generously proportioned (Criollo breakfast is my meal of choice) as are the drinks (Cocada, as mentioned by RetiredMember1, and Chichi [a sweet, rice drink which needs to be tasted to be believed] but their juices [guarana, passionfruit, guanabara etc] are also exceptional). The three milk cake is ridiculous. You know when you hate something because you like it too much?

As mentioned, the owners are very lovely and Alexis will often bring out a little sample of a new juice/milkshake as you sit down which is a very nice touch. He once brought us a little rum concoction but I don't remember what it was...

If you're very, very lucky, the other customers will include a few musicians who will pull instruments from the walls, their bags and behind the counter and play some raucous Venezuelan songs whilst you eat and drink. However, this has happened to us only once in the many times that we've been there so no guaran(a)tees it'll happen when you visit but, if it does, you're in for an unforgettable experience. The problem is, you can't really hear the music from outside so you wouldn't really know what was happening unless you were lucky enough to spot the instruments - otherwise you'd just assume that everyone was just shouting and gesticulating at each other! (most of the instruments are tiny!). We had been keeping an eye out ever since in the hope of catching them at it again.

Sigh. I'm currently in Australia for a year and miss the hell out of that place...